Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGino Vannelli

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gino Vannelli
    Posted: September 11 2016 at 11:02
It's not that I'm a huge fan, but every once in a while I dig out from the old stuff a few albums by an overlooked artist that really does deserve to be listed among the Prog-worthy.  He may not be to everyone's taste, but if you listen to the right tracks, you will find some symphonic-prog genius.

I'm talking about Gino Vannelli.  Now wait, don't cringe!  I know he's a crooner, he's hyper-romantic, he's pompous, he produced a lot of pop trash, AND he's Canadian (j/k), but let him who is without sin cast the first bubblegum wrapper.  Gino was born in Montreal in 1952.  He released his first album in '73 in collaboration with his brother Joe.  You can find more of those details online if you're interested.  The important thing here is to know what to listen to. 

The pieces I recommend are from his three albums released between '76 and '78.  His best work can be found on the album Gist of the Gemini - the War Suite.  Another track you will not want to miss is the third movement of his orchestral piece A Pauper in Paradise.   If those intrigue you, try sampling the album Brother to Brother.  This album is more pop-commercial, but definitely delivers on quality and complexity.  I've sampled a few of his other albums but all of them made me throw up in my mouth a little and left me just shaking my head over the wasted talent.

Start with this instrumental interlude from Pauper, 3rd movement:
https://youtu.be/jX37gFkxPUM

If you like that, check out the War Suite from Gist

Again, it's not for everybody.  Though he has incredible range, you may be turned off by Gino's often schmaltzy vocals, or you may not like the over-dependence on electronic instrumentation in Gist.  But the guy is definitely talented.  If you're digging for a new gem from the mined-out bygone prog era, this is a shiny object you will not want to overlook.

I haven't really researched him or anything, but if you want to read more, you can start at: http://www.ginov.com/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gino_Vannelli

Let me know what you think.
< Bellerephon
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 11:46
Thanks, your recommendation does sound inviting. I only know Valentino from his Wild Horses piece circa 1987, but I will now check his other works
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 13:36
Prog-worthy?

Prog is not an award or a quality certificate.

Prog is a musical genre.

And Vanelli doesn't fit.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 14:14
A band or artist should have at least one fully prog album in order to be considered for addition. Moreover, once they're approved, their whole discography has to be added - which is the reason why a number of artists have been kept out of the database. I don't think adding the whole GV discography would go down well with the site users.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 17:49
I was a HUGE fan of Gino's first four albums (actually, five; I've never heard his debut, Crazy Life). Then he got famous and I left the fold. In recent years I've gone back and heard some of the later stuff-- 

Powerful People (1974), Storm at Sunup (1975) with it's opening prog masterpiece and the way it bleeds into the next two songs, Gist of the Gemini (1976) with it's 15-minute "War Suite," and A Pauper in Paradise (1977) with it's orchestrated 15-minute four-part instrumental symphonic suite are as proggy or more proggy than many of the things others artists were doing at the same time. In my mind, it was the keyboard and programming genius of Gino and brother Joe that made the band it's most proggy. From the first time I heard his first hit, "People Gotta Move," I was won over by their innovative and dominant keyboard presence (Joe). In fact, that song alone is one of the proggiest "hit" records I've ever heard. It was like hearing Vangelis mixed with Chick Corea. No wonder I later fell in love with bands like Yes, Nova, Return to Forever and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra--Gino Vanelli had got me primed and ready. 
Another key was the presence of drummer Graham Lear--who later did a ten year stint with SANTANA and REO SPEEDWAGON. LA sessions guitarist, JAY GRAYDON was also a key presence. Two-time Grammy Award Winning Jay would play on albums by many pop-jazz artists (including Barbra Striesand,  Marvin Gaye, Hall & Oates, and Alice Cooper)  and is probably most famous for his guitar solo on STEELY DAN's hit "Peg." He later became more known as a producer on albums by the likes of George Benson, Lou Rawls, George Benson, The Manhattan Transfer, Dionne Warwick, and Al Jarreau. He is also credited with writing over 200 songs, including hits for George Benson, Earth Wind and Fire, Dionne Warwick, Al Jarreau, Manhattan Transfer--most of which were co-written with DAVID FOSTER.

The consistent prominence of Latin percussion and Richard Baker's organ, synthesizer and synthesizer bass (later learned and taken over by Gino's brother, Joe) round out the unique and progressive sound that was GINO VANELLI.

A whole discography? Why not when there are so many other artists here who's (arguable) "prog" output only lasted one or two albums yet have their entire discography included here. (Need I start a list?) Plus, Gino's discography is not nearly as big as some of the others I allude to. 

Gino represents prog music in that he was doing exactly the same as everyone else in the mid-1970s:  experimenting with stylistic combinations and new technologies. And doing it rather well, if you ask me.

powerful People
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 04:52
He has been suggested a couple of times in the past to no avail.
Then again the 70s were so full of pseudo-semi prog-like artists that we could multiply the artists listed on PA if we decided to let acts like Gino, ABBA, Boston, Meat Loaf, Pere Ubu and the likes in. I am personally against such an overhaul, but then again I am also in favour of scrapping the prog related sub altogether.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply