Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBela fleck and the flecktones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bela fleck and the flecktones
    Posted: August 27 2005 at 16:04

Jazz fusion meets bluegrass with some innovative sounding percusion.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=20908

Check out the first three songs at the very least: new south africa, sex in a pan and new song...just left click and save target as..there are multiple versions of each song!  i just get the 64Kbps MP3 version cos it still sounds great.

Edited by Carl floyd fan
stripthesoul View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 23:15
I love this band!!   Saw them live, the bassist Victor Wooten is amazing; he played a half-hour solo with pedals that allowed him to play different parts over one another, you seriously couldn't tell that it was just one four-string bassist playing.  IMHO they should be in the archives under fusion; they're about as progressive as it gets in terms of trying something new with music.
"Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings." --Cheris Kramerae
Carl floyd fan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 11:25

yes for sure!  I mean lets step outside prog for a minute and look at bluegrass as a genre...its hard to be innovative in that genre and really do anything new with the banjo...look at bluegrass as it evolved throught the years..not to much new when you compare it to other genres like rock and prog rock...but new things are heard from the banjo as far as BF&tFT that no one else could have ever imagined.  and who has ever combined bluegrass and jazz?  fusion is almost always jazz and rock or some kind of combo..but never a combo of BG and Jazz for fusion...and it even has almost hip hop like percussion..very neat indeed.  very nice bass as well.  give the band a good look guys!  they have some very long songs and improvise like almost no one i have ever heard..and improvising is one thing that sets prog apart from most genres.

oh yes that sounds a lot like keller williams btw.  i believe its called "live phrase sampling"..step on a button (recorder i believe) play or sing a phrase..step on button again and it repeats the last thing you did... while you start your next phrase, repeat and you are able to layer your sounds...hence why one man..keller williams...can perform so much sound.  so he has a layering of bass, drumbeat and birdcall as he rips it on his guitar..layer that and hes got the effect of 4 instrunents as he does something new..i believe he has something like 8 guitars on stage with him along with various other instruments....its easier to see in person and very cool!  I really admire the man as a musician and everyone should listen to him and see him live.  he may even belong on here with some of his longer jams and instrumentals like dance of the freek..and he also improvises amazingly well.

new monsoon is of interest, they did an amazing version of echoes...if you need any of this music, get in touch...even if you make that section you were speaking of where you talk of non prog groups with prog songs or songs of interst to prog fans, Keller and new monsoon may deserve small mentioning.

Edited by Carl floyd fan
Carl floyd fan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 02:55

oh come on, no replies besides S.soul??  lets go prog lovers, you're supposed to be music fans who are open to all music, so embrace bela fleck and the flecktones...I even included a link!  there's 33 views on this topic so check em out if you're already in here, it only makes sense. I figure if your on these forums you've got time to kill, so kill it listening to some good stuff.  I wanna hear some reviews now, the whole show is top notch, one of the best touring acts in every respect in recent times..now how can you ignore that?

peace

Edited by Carl floyd fan
 Post Reply Post Reply