Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpoiler reviews

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spoiler reviews
    Posted: August 28 2005 at 07:35

I have just seen that another (the 2nd recently) 1* review has been given to a certain album which has drastically reduced its overall average score and single handedly dropped it 30 places down the chart. No review, no criticism, just a 1* rating. I believe that a small few are trying to manipulate the chart by giving bad ratings to certain albums to drop them down the chart, presumably to push their own favourites up.

This rating contrasts almost totally with the others, 69% of which give it 5*. Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think that a small change in the algorithm used to calculate chart positions might prevent this tactic.

In ice skating, to prevent cheating by one judge, the top and bottom scores of the 9 given for each contestant are disregarded when calculating the overall score. Would it not be posiible to slightly amend the algorithm to disregard say, the lowest 2 and highest 2 ratings when calculating averages and chart positions?

It would, for example, beneficially affect bands like DT who tend to have fanboys who would give a fart by the band 5* and a few detractors who will give them 1* no matter how good their output. Any chart should reflect real ratings by thoughtful individuals; this might be a step towards achieving this.

laztraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 08:04
   sounds like a good idea to me
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 08:36
Giving ratings without a review should not be possible anyway IMO. Anyone who really has an opinion on an album can write a review; 50 words, it doesn't take long does it? And it would also prevent the kind of abuse described by Tony from happening.
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 19:20

I said the example of Si on avait besoin d'une 5eme saison by Harmonium. This album only had 5 star rating (and one 4 stars rating) from numerous reviewer and guests. Since it entered the top100, it suspeciously got a 1 star rating. That's completly stupid. I'd go for anything, Tony's idea, removing no rating reviews, but well, that's not acceptble.

Vive le Québec libre!...
 Post Reply Post Reply