Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeshuggah's music sucks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 04:27
^ I know where you coming from. The music of Arctopus is like forcing a square peg in a round hole, but I love the challenging nature of it all. And, most folks can't stand Extreme styles. Fully understandable.

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 19 2016 at 05:03
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 07:53
Fear Factory can easily musically "kill" Meshuggah with 7-string guitar sound. 

And I can't understand how Meshuggah have anything with a term PROG. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 08:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I know where you coming from. The music of Arctopus is like forcing a square peg in a round hole, but I love the challenging nature of it all. And, most folks can't stand Extreme styles. Fully understandable.

I think I initially discovered the Arctopus whilst googling the term "unlistenable".

Found a bunch of good stuff that way
Paranoid_Empire View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 08:42
Meshuggah are god awful binary metal. Chugga chugga 010011010011. They give me a headache and the vocals are crap mallcore, screamo styled monotony. I'd rather listen to grass grow.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 14:40
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

In fact, since I enjoy stuff like Carcass, Napalm Death, Dillinger Escape Plan, Prong or Fear Factory etc... I should enjoy BTA and Meshuggah, but I fear these bands will never spend a long time in my "playlist", a bit like Nile or Machine Head.
Anyway, I'm listening right now to Meshuggah's Chaosphere (1998) to see if the "magic" could work on me. I don't hate it, but I'm not exactly enjoying it.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 00:13
Funny, I find Dillinger E.P. to be 'difficult' compared to Meshuggah, I do like them, but they're totally bonkers !!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 00:29
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

In fact, since I enjoy stuff like Carcass, Napalm Death, Dillinger Escape Plan, Prong or Fear Factory etc... I should enjoy BTA and Meshuggah
In fact, because you enjoy top shelf death metal like Carcass (indifferent to the rest) you should not enjoy BTA and Meshhuggah. Its pain logic.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 20:00
Intricate does not always mean good. I do admit Meshuggah is a big outlier but I'll never like Dillinger. There's just no actual substance aside from complexity for the sake of being complex.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 20:36
I adore the Arctopus album Horrorscension, it's fantastic stuff, prefer it to Meshuggah.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - October 22 2016 at 20:37
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 13:02
When Destroy, Erase, Improve came out, I was blown away.  Future Breed Machine is a bona fide classic.

But I also had a greater tolerance for screaming vocals then compared to now.  I find myself desiring more melody in my music, but I still love the heavy stuff.  That's why I like what some of the djent bands have done with Meshuggah's sound.  Bands like Tesseract, Stealing Axion, and Face the Maybe have infused the low-tuned, poly-rhythmic foundation with melodic elements.  When clean vocals are involved, this style is one of my faves right now.

It's kind of a "2.0" version - they took the key elements, and added another layer to the sound.  It's happened in a number of other styles, like with what Chevelle did with Helmet's sound, or what Soen did with Tool's sound.  

In other words, "sub-genre" is the sincerest form of flattery.

I know there's a fine line between imitation and "sub-genre", if you will.  I also understand that which of those categories a band is in that is heavily influenced by another may vary, depending on who you ask.  Discussing it is the stuff that makes message boards great.  

BTW saw a mention of Prong on here.  I hadn't listened to them in about 20 years before I found "No Absolutes" at a yard sale a few months ago.  It was surprisingly good.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 13:25
Even though I liked the first records when they came out, I grew tired of Messhugah really fast. If you are a symphonic prog fan who loves solos and variation, stay away. Messhugah is all about repeating a riff over and over, taking that riff changing it a bit and repeating it again for several minutes. When they released "Catch 33" I couldn't take it anymore
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 13:34
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Even though I liked the first records when they came out, I grew tired of Messhugah really fast. If you are a symphonic prog fan who loves solos and variation, stay away. Messhugah is all about repeating a riff over and over, taking that riff changing it a bit and repeating it again for several minutes. When they released "Catch 33" I couldn't take it anymore

"I" was also a tough listen.  Kind of reminded me of when Yes put out "Tales from Topographic Oceans".  Too pretentious, and they got away from what really made them good.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 15:43
I love the Meshuggah albums: Chaosphere and especially: CATCH 33 (a concept album masterpiece)

Also, Fredrick's album "Sol Niger within" (the darkness within)

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - December 08 2016 at 03:31
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 20:12
Originally posted by backtothegarden backtothegarden wrote:

When Destroy, Erase, Improve came out, I was blown away.  Future Breed Machine is a bona fide classic.

But I also had a greater tolerance for screaming vocals then compared to now.  I find myself desiring more melody in my music, but I still love the heavy stuff.  That's why I like what some of the djent bands have done with Meshuggah's sound.  Bands like Tesseract, Stealing Axion, and Face the Maybe have infused the low-tuned, poly-rhythmic foundation with melodic elements.  When clean vocals are involved, this style is one of my faves right now.

It's kind of a "2.0" version - they took the key elements, and added another layer to the sound.  It's happened in a number of other styles, like with what Chevelle did with Helmet's sound, or what Soen did with Tool's sound.  

In other words, "sub-genre" is the sincerest form of flattery.

I know there's a fine line between imitation and "sub-genre", if you will.  I also understand that which of those categories a band is in that is heavily influenced by another may vary, depending on who you ask.  Discussing it is the stuff that makes message boards great.  

BTW saw a mention of Prong on here.  I hadn't listened to them in about 20 years before I found "No Absolutes" at a yard sale a few months ago.  It was surprisingly good.

Prong is great, Beg to Differ is a thrash classic. Also, nice to see Chevelle mentioned on here. One of my favorite bands. They certainly took their Tool and Helmet influences and made their own sound. Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 08:47
Had to ck out this thread......I can honestly say I have never heard anything by this band ( I don't generally like any  metal bands of any kind especially those with growling  vocals...) , so I went on you tube and listened to a few songs from the new album.
My impression is that teenage kids on pot in their mother's basement would love this music.
Having said that they seem like they know how to play their instruments but it's a shame that this is what they came up with.
But different strokes for different folks...I guess.
Confused

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 22:19
[QUOTE=dr wu23]
Had to ck out this thread......I can honestly say I have never heard anything by this band ( I don't generally like any  metal bands of any kind especially those with growling  vocals...) , so I went on you tube and listened to a few songs from the new album.
My impression is that teenage kids on pot in their mother's basement would love this music.
[DIV[/IMG]

[n/QUOTE] Brash generalisation, Dr.
Try the song Cadaverous Mastication.................seriously !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12