2 [2.22%]
2 [2.22%]
4 [4.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 22:03
The periods don't matter to me. I just like the albums where the music has precedence over the humor.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 07:51
Hi,

I wanted the "All of the Above" option which was not there.

I consider Frank a "composer" and his whole catalog is a part of my collection and life, and as such, it deserves the attention that he should have gotten and have, but can't (YET) because of rock/pop music fans, that can not find a line between serious music and everything else.

If ever there is a doubt, go catch the 200 Motels live version that was done a few years back, and then compare it to the original. I think you will find a choir and a bunch of musicians really excited to be doing something different, and fun, and very well put together, because the results are fabulous, and not something that even folks here at PA can appreciate as much, as I always think they should. It's not a top ten, therefore many of you won't bother ... or it's not metal, so some of you won't bother ... it's not prog, so some of you won't bother .... and regardless of what the reasons might be, mine included (btw!), this is exactly what Frank was fighting against most of his life ... and I will use one of his most famous example ... a fan screaming for a guitar solo, and he got tired of it after half an hour, and put the guitar down and conducted the rest of the concert ... to everyone's ... wow ... and one disgruntled fan that will never again buy or listen to a FZ piece of music ... but thereby setting a legacy, that too many of us, simply do not understand, or wish to comprehend.

It's about the person ... and no where in the music world is this more visible than in a Frank Zappa album from the earliest days to his last. As such, this is about one of the greatest American composers ever, but we can not see past the trees for a forest or a world, for that matter!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 08:38
^ Zappa's enduring legacy reflected a variety of different phases and transitions consistent with his development and maturity as a composer, recording artist and performer. The OP is simply asking what particular time period correlates with our own favorite recordings/souvenirs of same. Why then do you treat this simple question as yet another opportunity to denigrate the entire PA membership as being unable to differentiate between 'serious music' and 'everything else?' My aesthetic choices have never been 'about the person', they've always been about the musical content and that goes for practically everyone who has ever been drawn to this site.

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 12 2018 at 08:44
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 17:56
Just remember that if you... shake it more than 3 times you're playing with it. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 20:27
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

The periods don't matter to me. I just like the albums where the music has precedence over the humor.

Well said....that's a solid answer .
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 20:49
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ Zappa's enduring legacy reflected a variety of different phases and transitions consistent with his development and maturity as a composer, recording artist and performer. The OP is simply asking what particular time period correlates with our own favorite recordings/souvenirs of same. Why then do you treat this simple question as yet another opportunity to denigrate the entire PA membership as being unable to differentiate between 'serious music' and 'everything else?' My aesthetic choices have never been 'about the person', they've always been about the musical content and that goes for practically everyone who has ever been drawn to this site.

Agreed. There are eras of any given band or musician's compositions that are great and others that are subpar. Zappa was no exception, and it is entirely appropriate to prefer one period over another. He was, for want of a better word, erratic.

There was a period in the late 70s to early 80s where much of Zappa's work became cartoonish. From Sheik Yerbouti with the abysmal "Dancin' Fool" and "Jewish Princess" to Ship Arriving Too Late To Save  A Drowning Witch with "Valley Girl", it seemed Zappa had jumped the mudshark and became a parody of himself. Except for Joe's Garage, I don't really listen to anything from that Zappa era. But that doesn't mean one can't appreciate his work in total.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 00:28
I am not saying this is the rule that concerns every artist, but anyway there are lots of artists that has made their best stuff in the begin or middle of their career. To me Zappa´s first Mothers had something, he never had after that, although he of course continued to make at least good music through his career.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 07:49
Bump.

I don't know which one to vote. I like some things here and there and dislike many. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 08:55
OSFA is my favorite Zappa record, but the Hot Rats/Waka/Wazoo era is my favorite era of Zappa.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123