Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOXYGENE by Jean Michel Jarre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 02:46
I wouldn't call Oxgene an "experimental" album, it's pretty much a symphonic and composed album which uses very standard composition techniques, but unusual, for the time, instruments. It wasn't anything new, it had all been done before (mainly by Tangerine Dream) but it was more accessible than, say, Phaedra or Ricochet and captured the public attention. 

Jarre went rapidly downhill from there. Equinoxe was a good album, but Magnetic Fields et al were just dreadful. He is a shameless self publicist as well. 

scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 10:39
I first came across Jarre in the 70's thanks to my French teacher. She used to play parts from Oxygene, Equinox, and magnetic fields between lessons. So as we entered the class room this music was playing.
When some of us asked about it she explained that a lot of the French people liked it and it was very popular over there, and it's where she picked up her tapes. Like a couple of my mates I ended up eventually purchasing the albums myself on tape. Oxygene was my first introduction to electronic music. I am still very fond of those early Jarre albums. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12