Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three: Underappreciated?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: And Then There Were Three: Underappreciated?
    Posted: January 27 2017 at 13:05
Inspired by the Genesis thread in the Prog Music Lounge, does ATTWT get the credit it deserves? Bemoaned by many by the absence of Hackett and said to be "not quite prog", I feel quite the opposite. Opening the album with "Down and Out" in a loopy nerve wrecking 5/4 time is as prog as you can get to me. The  majority of songs, albeit of short duration, have an unmistakable Genesis vibe to them such as with the "Lady Lies" and "Burning Rope", while "Deep in the Motherlode" evokes a type of psychedelia processed through the Genesis filter.

All good stuff to me. How about you?

Edited by SteveG - January 27 2017 at 13:12
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 13:18
Yep. It's over all sound is  not that much different than Trick and Wind it's just in a more compact form and with not as good guitar playing. ;) I still like it though. I think you could even say it is possibly a proto neo prog album. :D
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 13:42
Many have tried to convince me. Same with Duke. They both just make me cringe with wonky faux-nouveau keyboard sounds.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 14:00
" Proto Neo-Prog" ? I  like that Thumbs Up

And the music is overall quite enjoyable, and that's what matters most at the end  of the day                  
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 21:10
Many of the songs sound even more prog than ever before. I guess it actually gets a bit of an ELP vibe because of the power trio format, and how the keyboards were boosted into the front more than ever before.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 21:36
I don't know. The professionalism is still there. The ability to make interesting melodies in an ambitious way. But somehow it is just not the same. I still listen to A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering, but I really don't venture onto ATTWT any more. To me, by then Genesis had lost whatever it was I enjoyed about them.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 23:10
Not good Prog. Proto Neo-Prog? I guess so, since Home By the Sea was actual Neo-Prog! To me it's not good, The guitar is a big part of the difference. Rutherford's guitar work, at least at that time, was terribly ordinary, uninspired and drab. The loss of Hackett's general creative input was also noticeable. No more interesting odd sounding stuff. The songs were too short and lost their eloquence. There was nothing like Entangled and certainly nothing like the intro to Blood On the Rooftops anymore. Hackett's Please Don't Touch, though not his best, was a far more memorable album, frankly.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2017 at 01:04
Never really been able to get into it myself.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2017 at 03:06
Now my turn. I love ATTWT. The idea of shorter composition never bothered me. It's what the band does within that streamlined formula. ATTWT nailed complexity, catchiness, and a whole new direction in doing so.
Banks loves Fountain of Salmacis as much as he does the Domino epic.
Neo-Prog relied heavily on Gabriel-Genesis ideals. Genesis themselves, brought 'Prog' into the 80's, albeit in an accessible package. They moved on, whilst others retread the past. Win / Win situation.
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 10:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Now my turn. I love ATTWT. The idea of shorter composition never bothered me. It's what the band does within that streamlined formula. ATTWT nailed complexity, catchiness, and a whole new direction in doing so.
Banks loves Fountain of Salmacis as much as he does the Domino epic.
Neo-Prog relied heavily on Gabriel-Genesis ideals. Genesis themselves, brought 'Prog' into the 80's, albeit in an accessible package. They moved on, whilst others retread the past. Win / Win situation.

Clap Exactly. Two of the last Big Prog Albums from the late 70īs from the biggest bands from England, with Yesī" Tormato".  I have loved both for nearly forty years now. Both nailed complexity and catchyness with very strong influence from their great past. GENESISīsound is very BIG there, in vinyl at least. Sadly, it will remain their last true great album. Itīs really start of Neo-Prog, with its all greatness (old prog sound) there. After 1978 came the decline in a very big scale.
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 10:10
I've always loved it. It's not perfect, but there are some killer songs on that album. I wouldn't say it's uner appreciated. I unerstand why some 'prog purists' may not like it, or die hard Gabriel fanatics, but for a band in transition it's a very strong work, as is ATOTT for similar reasons.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 10:10
Good, good.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 10:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Inspired by the Genesis thread in the Prog Music Lounge, does ATTWT get the credit it deserves? Bemoaned by many by the absence of Hackett and said to be "not quite prog", I feel quite the opposite. Opening the album with "Down and Out" in a loopy nerve wrecking 5/4 time is as prog as you can get to me. The  majority of songs, albeit of short duration, have an unmistakable Genesis vibe to them such as with the "Lady Lies" and "Burning Rope", while "Deep in the Motherlode" evokes a type of psychedelia processed through the Genesis filter.

All good stuff to me. How about you?

Clap I have always LOVED that album, never gets old and the sound is BIG. All great tunes, some even almost rival the best symphonic passages from their earlier (better) albums. Phil Collinsībest singing ever is right there, heīs on fire on some tunes.
This outperform both previous albums with sheer power and new energy after the shock of Peterīs departure. I really donīt miss him anymore. This is a masterpiece in every sense, and actually the start for Neo-Prog and dozens of bands will follow their footsteps. Donīt get me wrong, the Neo-Prog never managed to touch my soul but this is really great music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 10:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I've always loved it. It's not perfect, but there are some killer songs on that album. I wouldn't say it's uner appreciated. I unerstand why some 'prog purists' may not like it, or die hard Gabriel fanatics, but for a band in transition it's a very strong work, as is ATOTT for similar reasons.

I am a die hard GENESIS fanatic and I bloody hell donīt miss Gabriel doing his lousy NW noodling at the time.
Solsbury Hill stainless steel Lamb please Tongue
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 03:42
ATTWT is a pretty great album. The atmospheres are there in all the numbers.

Sometimes I have the feeling that they're a little truncated and the thing could have been a 2 LP set (it is already 50 or so minutes long).

Anyway there's no feeling that Hackett's lead is way too buried...

Poor old Rutherford. Having to be a bass god, harmony guitar god and lead guitar god. Not easy. The pressure from the keyboard dude who only has one job, while the vocal god and drum god shares his double duties.

"Phil" is a great name for a drummer.

Other than the UK efforts and Tormato this was the end... until 1980 and Genesis showed there were new ways of doing things. But unless they did things the old way they would be nothing. (!)...

At least they did their own thing unlike Cinema who got a well used sales logo their rhythm section and organist once had and initiated one of the more schizophrenic rock experiences... 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 05:20
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

I have always LOVED that album, never gets old and the sound is BIG. All great tunes, some even almost rival the best symphonic passages from their earlier (better) albums. Phil Collinsībest singing ever is right there, heīs on fire on some tunes.
This outperform both previous albums with sheer power and new energy after the shock of Peterīs departure. I really donīt miss him anymore. This is a masterpiece in every sense, and actually the start for Neo-Prog and dozens of bands will follow their footsteps. Donīt get me wrong, the Neo-Prog never managed to touch my soul but this is really great music.

I agree with the big sound comment. That album has a real air about it. As for the individual songs, it's hit or miss with me. Deep in the Motherlode is my favorite song off the album.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 06:24
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I am a die hard GENESIS fanatic and I bloody hell donīt miss Gabriel doing his lousy NW noodling at the time.
Solsbury Hill stainless steel Lamb please Tongue

What?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 08:03
Its ok, forgettable but ok.

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 13:13
Personally Iīm a huge fan of this one as well as of Duke. It didnīt use to be that way, but ..and then there where three is among my favorite Genesis albums today. The cool futuristic sounds, the intricate compositions, which may initially come of as accessible pop/rock, but if examined a bit deeper, are very sophisticated and cleverly written pieces of pop/rock prog. Itīs just another type of progressive rock but still unmistakably the sound of Genesis.

Edited by UMUR - April 10 2017 at 13:18
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 14:09
I sometimes find ATTWT being liked by people that usually don't like Genesis, with either Gabriel or Collins.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply