reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 02:46
Ermm I find wearing headphones muffles the sound from the speakers.
What?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 08:47
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm I find wearing headphones muffles the sound from the speakers.

It happened to me too, that's why I wear them around the neck (and play them loud) Clown

Edited by Quinino - April 14 2017 at 08:49
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 21:33
Speakers. I mean, headphones are fine, but there's something about shaking the floor and rattling the windows that headphones just can't replicate.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2017 at 18:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The helicopter sounds and clocks from Pink Floyd that just fill the room all around me.....That's cool!

Perfect example ... and if you check out my review of Roger's The Wall, opposite the original, you will find that I mentioned this, and how valuable it was to the experience, and mostly when the girl comes in to the room and mentions all the guitars ... in the original, in Quad around the Sports Arena (LA), it was like the door was behind you and the guitars were up front, and she could "see them" and you felt that as she walked across the room to the guitars. On the headphones, that separation is not quite there and developed as well as it was originally, and in Roger's? Totally gone, and it went from left to right on the stage and that was that, and the "personal" experience side of it was GONE....

One more thing here, since it makes a different point about listening to music. Catching things LIVE is not the same thing as catching them on the Headset ... and I am not convinced that you would go watch someone live ... simply because of what you hear in the ears, although today (the 21st century) this is quite different than what it all was 40 and 50 years ago ... you heard this unbelievable thing on the speakers, and you wanted to see it live. 

This might be the reason, why, as an old man, I have lost the desire to go to concerts. Very few of the current line ups and bands, would be interesting for me to catch and see, as if it was an "auditory" experience, or something that my whole body would want to experience. Now, if you ask me about King Crimson, a perfect example, and you follow (to an extent) the comments and ideas that RF suggests, like closing your eyes to listen to the music, your inner experience, goes wayyyyyyyyyyyy beoynd the ears, and this has a tendency to take things away from the r'n'r idea of a concert which is to ignithe the "fan'atic" in you so it can generate more sales. The "excitement" ... is, supposedly, in something that you see/catch ... and that is not always TRUE at all ... that's a rather naive bit about "listening", which can explain a lot more, than we allow for.

I was just listening to Rachel Flowers and it should suggest to you that her "listening" to things, is so detailed, that she can pick them up, and knows how to get to them. Our own listening is not so detailed, in general, and a live concert, or 1K headset, is not going to make it any better. Neither is the speaker set ... 

This, leaves it all ... in one thing. The magic of music, for us all. And, sometimes, we have to let go of the ideas, in order to experience, the part of it that creates that magic ... it's not even just in your ears! Can you, now, imagine, how a Bach, Mozart, or old piece of music, can still live, and excite us? It wasn't the stereo speakers, or the headphones ... it was the music itself!

Remember that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 00:55
Ermm looks like someone hasn't figured out the connection between the physics of sound, acoustics and the physiology of hearing. 
What?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 17:04
Both experiences or listening preferences are lovely to my tastes, but as of right now I have to lean towards the Headphone listening experience. This is mainly because I've put far more time, research and money into doing the Headphone game correctly. I am amazed at the level of realism and immersion you can have with headphones if you develope a great sound chain for those headphones. Developing advanced home theater or loud speaker set ups is very very expensive, especially if you don't (as a listener) want to cut any corners whatsoever.

My vote is headphones, however I really love 5.1 mixes of albums on a great home theater system.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 18:43
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Both experiences or listening preferences are lovely to my tastes, but as of right now I have to lean towards the Headphone listening experience. This is mainly because I've put far more time, research and money into doing the Headphone game correctly. I am amazed at the level of realism and immersion you can have with headphones if you develope a great sound chain for those headphones. Developing advanced home theater or loud speaker set ups is very very expensive, especially if you don't (as a listener) want to cut any corners whatsoever.

My vote is headphones, however I really love 5.1 mixes of albums on a great home theater system.

As you know I am not a headphone user, I do use IEM on the train and the experience is just OK. Last night I plugged my phones in to my integrated amp and listened to KC ItCOtCK Side II......I was having a great time with the spaciousness, sound stage and clarity of the music. Now to your point Nick, I too have spent good time with my analog setup to pull out the best from my rekkids, so the sound is pretty sweet and it was coming thru the cans nicely......Clap But I love my speakersBig smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 05:41

As you know I am not a headphone user, I do use IEM on the train and the experience is just OK. Last night I plugged my phones in to my integrated amp and listened to KC ItCOtCK Side II......I was having a great time with the spaciousness, sound stage and clarity of the music. Now to your point Nick, I too have spent good time with my analog setup to pull out the best from my rekkids, so the sound is pretty sweet and it was coming thru the cans nicely......Clap But I love my speakersBig smile

Mr. Hose à ! :)

You know as well as any that a loud speaker set up trailered up nicely with solid amps,interconnects and a nicely acoustically treated room can be the bees knees! ;)
I'm glad you are still getting a lot out of your set up.
I also wonder though, have you heard the Steven Wilson 2009 remix of ITCOTCK in 24/96k. It's on a DVD medium but man is it ever good! Might wanna dust off the old Grant DAC and pop on those AKG's 701's (i think?) and crank that puppy in LPCM. I've never heard better.
Also, something to share with you. You'll love this.

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-05-03/marillions-misplaced-childhood-set-for-deluxe-edition?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17745&utm_term=3849668&utm_content=317657
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 05:51
Try to listen to Quadrophenia with headphones over your head - they wont last long there, that's for sure, better start by plugging the speakers right away.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 06:05
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Try to listen to Quadrophenia with headphones over your head - they wont last long there, that's for sure, better start by plugging the speakers right away.

And why would that be?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 06:16
Well, just my personal experience - some music has that power to make me jump (and sing along) Big smile

But nowadays I mostly use headphones...even if because of that I'm becoming a little deaf (and dumm, maybe?)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 08:55

Mr. Hose à ! :)

You know as well as any that a loud speaker set up trailered up nicely with solid amps,interconnects and a nicely acoustically treated room can be the bees knees! ;)
I'm glad you are still getting a lot out of your set up.
I also wonder though, have you heard the Steven Wilson 2009 remix of ITCOTCK in 24/96k. It's on a DVD medium but man is it ever good! Might wanna dust off the old Grant DAC and pop on those AKG's 701's (i think?) and crank that puppy in LPCM. I've never heard better.
Also, something to share with you. You'll love this.

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-05-03/marillions-misplaced-childhood-set-for-deluxe-edition?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17745&utm_term=3849668&utm_content=317657

I already ordered the vinyl box set Clap. My original issue EMI/Capitol vinyl is actually very very good, the mix and mastering, pressing is great! But it was time for me to get a new copy and this one came out in time. I read about this release last month on another music forum.

I am sure that 24/96 is excellent Nick, but as I have said b4 I really have no desire to go and rebuy my collection in hi-rez, I will always prefer the physical media of rekkids. My money sits in my analog end of my system....I will spin rekkids till I am worm food 6 feet under. LOL

PS: 2nd time posting this reply AngryAngry...You know other than all my vinyl buddies here I don't need to come here, I keep telling myself!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234