Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Richard Barbieri (Porcupine Tree) - new solo album
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRichard Barbieri (Porcupine Tree) - new solo album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richard Barbieri (Porcupine Tree) - new solo album
    Posted: March 06 2017 at 03:12
If any of you are wondering what Richard Barbieri has been up to post-Porcupine Tree, then here's a piece I've just written after listening to his newly released album Planets + Persona:

https://momentstransition.wordpress.com/2017/03/06/richard-barbieri-planets-persona-2017/

Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 06:49
Nice review John. I haven't listened to it yet, but it's in my list for sure.
Just a comment on the effort to create ambient music and its appreciation. It is often stated that creating ambient music is a lazy task. I believe that complexity and work hours don't necessarily benefit ambient music. Usually it's simplicity and creativity that contribute to a worthwhile listening experience.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 01:40
Its a really good album of the ambient prog variety and for me ahead of Riverside's album that was released last year.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 17:09
I'm very interested to see how this translates live as i'm seeing Richard Barbieri in concert in a couple of days time; I must admit my complete ignorance of his work outside Japan and Porcupine tree but the list of people with whom he has collaborated over the years is very impressive and eclectic and that is enough to spike my curiosity.. and (bless him) he is coming to the west country (of the UK) where little enough sophisticated music makes its way at the best of times!

Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 03:42
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I'm very interested to see how this translates live as i'm seeing Richard Barbieri in concert in a couple of days time; I must admit my complete ignorance of his work outside Japan and Porcupine tree but the list of people with whom he has collaborated over the years is very impressive and eclectic and that is enough to spike my curiosity.. and (bless him) he is coming to the west country (of the UK) where little enough sophisticated music makes its way at the best of times!

May I suggest this gem?

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2017 at 15:57
Thanks; ive been listening to quite a bit of his solo and collaborative output and re-visiting some old Japan material and i havent been disapointed! The concert was last night and it was an excellent mix of the new lp and a few re-imagined Japan and porcupine tree pieces. Unlike the 2 other UK gigs which have guest musicians, this gig was entirely 'solo' with nice lightinig and back-drop visuals.. very relaxing after a hard day's work!

Post Reply Post Reply