Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs all news media biased...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: ..unless you agree with it?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [42.86%]
7 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [23.81%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 15:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

And this is a serious problem. Right wingers get all of their news from these kinds of hacks and have lost touch with reality. It's the only logical explanation for a Trump Presidency, IMHO.

ahhh  no LOL

you can't blame the bat sh*t crazies..ie.. right wingers  they've always been around but not in enough numbers to win on their own.

It is the middle you can blame for Trump... where we as a nation failed..and sent ever founding father spinning in his grave.. thus proving why they distrusted the gen. pop..... is when the middle got stupid....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 17:30
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

And this is a serious problem. Right wingers get all of their news from these kinds of hacks and have lost touch with reality. It's the only logical explanation for a Trump Presidency, IMHO.
ahhh  no LOL

you can't blame the bat sh*t crazies..ie.. right wingers  they've always been around but not in enough numbers to win on their own.

It is the middle you can blame for Trump... where we as a nation failed..and sent ever founding father spinning in his grave.. thus proving why they distrusted the gen. pop..... is when the middle got stupid....

Correct, you can't blame the wingnuts (there aren't enough of them to blame, as you point out)--  it was Pete and Becky up in Idaho with their two kids and two dogs.   And it is largely why the Electorals were established, concern over mob-rule.   Not sure about what the Founders would think.   In the words of a departing Barack Obama: "That's how it works."

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 17:41
it was the electoral college the failed the nation in the end I suppose hahah.. the very system put in place a safeguard for the just the thing the Founding Fathers feared.. and took 250 years to actually do.. when the American voter showed the ignorance, lack of thought, and lack of respect they owed to the right to vote. 

Seriously.. anyone care to disagree... the American voter elected someone with no experience, no temperment, someone who is (debatably? come on!!!) racist and misogynst who.. oh yeah.. just paid out milions for bilking his fellow Americans in a business scam.. and  OH YEAH... had very serious unresolved (lack of tax returns) questions about his ties to Russia. Not f**king Italy.. but Russia who are not led by a warm and fuzzy friendly benevolent  leader.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 18:14
All news sources were reporting that Hillary was going to win, seems most of the world believed these news reports.

I also checked "I don't care", watching my dog take a massive dump is more entertaining.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 18:47
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

ahhh  no LOL

Correct, you can't blame the wingnuts (there aren't enough of them to blame, as you point out)--  it was Pete and Becky up in Idaho with their two kids and two dogs.   And it is largely why the Electorals were established, concern over mob-rule.   Not sure about what the Founders would think.   In the words of a departing Barack Obama: "That's how it works."

Wingnuts?
Oklahoma's got the most of them
Boy, that got a host of them
Swear to God they got most

I do think you guys underestimate the number of right wingers that have lost touch with reality due to highly questionable online news. If you miss it the first time around, a lot of it is further propagated through email contact lists. Unfortunately I'm on some of them. I've never been on a liberal email contact list. Where are those?

Edited by HackettFan - March 08 2017 at 18:47
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 10:39
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think the idea that the news is biased is exaggerated. If one simply reports an event....whatever the event....where's the bias ?
Confused
I can see how the opinion pieces like those from O'Riley and Hannity are biased but not just general reporting.
There's always a bias. Simply choosing what is newsworthy is a bias. The very justifications one uses to arrive the decision of newsworthiness are definitive of a bias. They may be sound, reasonable, uncontroversial and unobjectionable decisions, but they are still the very essence of bias. For instance, covering crime betrays a law and order bias. Covering downtown development projects betrays a commercial and corporate bias. Covering people who are put out of their homes by eminent domain betrays a bias that values the interests of the less advantaged. The representation is necessarily biased. Simply deciding what appears on camera betrays a bias. There is no objective way of representing anything, unless one means to say unslanted or impartial, but this is not to the same as unbiased. Bias isn't necessarily bad. What is bad is when the biases are not openly acknowledged.

By that definition  then everything we do in life is bias so the word becomes meaningless for the most part.
I don't think that is what people mean by bias when they refer to the news bias....at least I don't. IMHO it's not bias to simply pick an article piece to report....if you judge in that manner then everything is bias in life so the word becomes useless. IMHO that's over analyzing the use of bias.
The bias for me comes in when a left or right slant is put on that reporting ...then that is obvious to us.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 11:30

it was the electoral college the failed the nation in the end I suppose hahah.. the very system put in place a safeguard for the just the thing the Founding Fathers feared.. and took 250 years to actually do.. when the American voter showed the ignorance, lack of thought, and lack of respect they owed to the right to vote. 

Seriously.. anyone care to disagree... the American voter elected someone with no experience, no temperment, someone who is (debatably? come on!!!) racist and misogynst who.. oh yeah.. just paid out milions for bilking his fellow Americans in a business scam.. and  OH YEAH... had very serious unresolved (lack of tax returns) questions about his ties to Russia. Not f**king Italy.. but Russia who are not led by a warm and fuzzy friendly benevolent  leader.
While I agree with all this perhaps the democrats should not have run such a deeply flawed candidate.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 12:06
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

While I agree with all this perhaps the democrats should not have run such a deeply flawed candidate.

I was disowned by a friend of 30 years for suggesting such a thing. It wasn't enough to cast my vote for HRC, I also had to be enthusiastic about it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 13:51

ahhh  no LOL

And this is the problem. I'm not talking about the crazies. Just your average right wing Trump voter that never watches CNN or MSNBC. The most progressive they get is Fox news and are, as Bill Maher used to point out regularly until he got sick of saying it, in The Bubble.

Now, why is this so hard to comprehend? Sometimes I actually feel that the left gets what they deserve based on their never ending ability to miss the obvious.

Edited by SteveG - March 09 2017 at 14:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 14:21

I think the idea that the news is biased is exaggerated. If one simply reports an event....whatever the event....where's the bias ?
Confused
I can see how the opinion pieces like those from O'Riley and Hannity are biased but not just general reporting.
There's always a bias. Simply choosing what is newsworthy is a bias. The very justifications one uses to arrive the decision of newsworthiness are definitive of a bias. They may be sound, reasonable, uncontroversial and unobjectionable decisions, but they are still the very essence of bias. For instance, covering crime betrays a law and order bias. Covering downtown development projects betrays a commercial and corporate bias. Covering people who are put out of their homes by eminent domain betrays a bias that values the interests of the less advantaged. The representation is necessarily biased. Simply deciding what appears on camera betrays a bias. There is no objective way of representing anything, unless one means to say unslanted or impartial, but this is not to the same as unbiased. Bias isn't necessarily bad. What is bad is when the biases are not openly acknowledged.

By that definition  then everything we do in life is bias so the word becomes meaningless for the most part.
I don't think that is what people mean by bias when they refer to the news bias....at least I don't. IMHO it's not bias to simply pick an article piece to report....if you judge in that manner then everything is bias in life so the word becomes useless. IMHO that's over analyzing the use of bias.
The bias for me comes in when a left or right slant is put on that reporting ...then that is obvious to us.

I over analyze everything, true, though this is actually not my analysis, but what I was taught in college writing classes a long long time ago. And it gets down not just to the choice of subject-matter but the way it's portrayed. Yes, there is bias in everything. That only makes it useless if you want to say 'X is biased' without explaining how. That is the crux of the matter. How are things biased? When the media picked on Al Gore about inventing the internet (which he actually had a part in legislatively), I thought they were biased, but that doesn't say enough. It wasn't a conservative bias. It was a bias favoring clarity of expression, a bias toward thoughts packaged in short snippets, and a bias toward sensationalizing some of those snippets as a hook to get people to watch. Trump made effective use of these biases when they worked in his favor, and then complained bitterly, playing himself out as a maligned underdog when they didn't. The media's bias was no more liberal with Trump than it was conservative with Gore. Using bias only as left or right slant is a red herring. Many people intuit bias of some vague sort in the mainstream media and then misattribute it to a bias toward whatever boogeyman political philosophy is the opposite of theirs.

The right is far worse about this than the left, imo. I had to throw that in.

Edited by HackettFan - March 09 2017 at 14:54
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 15:32

Confused

I over analyze everything, true, though this is actually not my analysis, but what I was taught in college writing classes a long long time ago. And it gets down not just to the choice of subject-matter but the way it's portrayed. Yes, there is bias in everything. That only makes it useless if you want to say 'X is biased' without explaining how. That is the crux of the matter. How are things biased? When the media picked on Al Gore about inventing the internet (which he actually had a part in legislatively), I thought they were biased, but that doesn't say enough. It wasn't a conservative bias. It was a bias favoring clarity of expression, a bias toward thoughts packaged in short snippets, and a bias toward sensationalizing some of those snippets as a hook to get people to watch. Trump made effective use of these biases when they worked in his favor, and then complained bitterly, playing himself out as a maligned underdog when they didn't. The media's bias was no more liberal with Trump than it was conservative with Gore. Using bias only as left or right slant is a red herring. Many people intuit bias of some vague sort in the mainstream media and then misattribute it to a bias toward whatever boogeyman political philosophy is the opposite of theirs.

I agree with your comments.....,what are your thoughts on the main stream media outlets like CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc  that the right claim are biased hard to the left. Do you think that's the case? And if so in what specific ways are they biased beyond what you mentioned above?

Edited by dr wu23 - March 09 2017 at 15:33
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 20:36
^CNN likes intrigue in a wonkish way. They like to be organized around specific issues that are current, and they expect government to be organized and on message. They are ready to pounce if it is not, or sometimes just outwardly incredulous and mystified if it is not. This little segment illustrates some of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTZBvrMKbU0

The CNN Host gets a little exasperated by the Trump person, Amy Kremmer, who thought she should be talking about things other than the charge that Obama(administration's?) alleged wiretapping of Trump Tower. The host objects that they're talking about it because Trump himself brought it up. Later Paul Begala wants to connect the issue up with rigging of the election. The host objects to him also that he should not even go there (apparently because that was too far removed from the current wiretapping charge). Thus, CNN's seeking of discipline in their own agenda leads to a bias leading to outward dismay of the lack of it in the Trump administration. This probably looks like partisan bias to Trump supporters, who see CNN as not letting Trump duck and weave as own "genius" leads him to do. But I think it is really more as I described.

The week night program line-up of MSNBC does have a liberal left-leaning bias. It's more than just that, though. They concentrate on analysis. And they are much more interested in connecting the dots than CNN. CNN wants to find stuff and uncover stuff. MSNBC wants to elaborate on the current events and connect them to patterns of behavior from past events. No one characterizes this more than Rachel Maddow. Her show would never be allowed to run as is on CNN. She conveys very lengthy connect the dots openings in her show that may go on for twenty minutes before a guest even comes on. MSNBC hosts are like scientists with a theory and they want to not just rally the faithful, but educate their audience. It's a bias I approve of and that is why I am quite happy with them.

FOX does have a right wing bias. Unlike MSNBC, they're not much into analysis and not much into educating their audience. They rally the faithful and not a lot more. This is perhaps historically due to the educator role for conservatives being held by various institutes, the KATO Institute and the like (They're speakers are frequently covered beginning to end on C-Span), which had driven the conservative movement up until now (I don't know how that role may be shaping up in the Trump age, though). The left never gave as much over to such think tanks, and I think that is why MSNBC takes on that role of left leaning philosophers.

Sorry. No more. I'm tired now.

Edited by HackettFan - March 09 2017 at 20:41
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 06:24

Confused

I agree with your comments.....,what are your thoughts on the main stream media outlets like CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc  that the right claim are biased hard to the left. Do you think that's the case? And if so in what specific ways are they biased beyond what you mentioned above?

The BBC is often accused of being 'left wing' but I've yet to hear them - or CNN, MSNBC for that matter - ever report anything from a socialist position. People often confuse liberalism with socialism and they are actually very different things. Socialism can be very authoritarian and illiberal.

All of these news outlets are pro-establishment, pro globalisation and pro corporatism. There is absolutely nothing 'left wing' about any of these concepts. I would say they are more in tune with the far right, if anything, just dressed up in liberal clothes.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 06:29
Would a medium that publishes anything sent to them be considered unbiased? A medium like Nervous Horse, for example?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 14:41
I get all my news from the nervous horse

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 14:51
In France, opening a newspaper is a political act. They are all biased, from right (Le Figaro) to extreme left (L'Humanite is communist) to christian (La Croix). But we know the bias...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123