Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMars Volta Fans!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mars Volta Fans!
    Posted: May 22 2017 at 19:06
I'm kind of in a stasis with music at the moment but these guys are currently my favorite band, truly mesmerizing, trippy, complex, experimental prog rock!   

I've done some searching but apparently there hasn't been a thread on them for a while here, so I rebooted my own thread.

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - May 22 2017 at 19:07
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 19:54
I never have liked them as their music just sounds completely chaotic with no rhyme or reason. I’ve become increasingly interested in music that tells some kind of story and everything I’ve heard from The Mars Volta hasn’t really given me any kind of narrative other than “Hey, let’s just play a bunch of nonsense and hope somebody into noise will enjoy it."
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 20:01
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I never have liked them as their music just sounds completely chaotic with no rhyme or reason. I’ve become increasingly interested in music that tells some kind of story and everything I’ve heard from The Mars Volta hasn’t really given me any kind of narrative other than “Hey, let’s just play a bunch of nonsense and hope somebody into noise will enjoy it."

Dude, their first four albums are heavily conceptual, first three are concept albums telling very surreal stories. 

They're not nonsense or even extreme in that way, lol They have a connection to psychedelic rock in their roots, they like sound scapes, unconventional musical shapes, harmonies, rhythms, melodies. 

I can't say I ever see you listening to any avantgarde prog, so perhaps this music is a little outside your comfort zone? which is fine 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 20:10
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Dude, their first four albums are heavily conceptual, first three are concept albums telling very surreal stories. 

They're not nonsense or even extreme in that way, lol They have a connection to psychedelic rock in their roots, they like sound scapes, unconventional musical shapes, harmonies, rhythms, melodies. 

I can't say I ever see you listening to any avantgarde prog, so perhaps this music is a little outside your comfort zone? which is fine 

My point is I don’t hear anything remotely resembling a melody, any interesting chordal ideas...yeah, they’re just not my cup of tea. I’m an old fart when it comes to progressive rock as I like Genesis, Steve Hackett, Pink Floyd (NOT their early psychedelic stuff), Yes, King Crimson, Anthony Phillips, and Emerson, Lake, & Palmer (to a lesser degree, but still feel that Brain Salad Surgery is a brilliant album). Even in my own songwriting, I seem to be stuck in another time and place or so I’m told.

Edited by Mirror Image - May 22 2017 at 20:11
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 04:23
A while back I listened to The Bedlam In Goliath and it blew me away. The power of it is intense. 
I need to check out their other albums
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 05:38
Lately, I'm being blown away over and over again by Frances the Mute (the album).
I'm not an expert when it comes to the Voltas, but this is by far their greatest, excluding their last, which I have not listened to, yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 06:08
Originally posted by Watchmaker Watchmaker wrote:

Lately, I'm being blown away over and over again by Frances the Mute (the album).
I'm not an expert when it comes to the Voltas, but this is by far their greatest, excluding their last, which I have not listened to, yet.

I've been obsessively listening to Frances the Mute this week, the album is practically flawless. It's a masterpiece. I haven't heard everything they've done yet, so I'm also in for a treat too! 

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 07:25
It was TMV's first album that rekindled my long-dormant interest in the possibilities of contemporary prog back in 2003. Ultimately leading me to the discovery of unguessed at worlds of music - and to this place.

I don't thnk they ever surpassed the first record, but possibly just my bias as I was quite obsessed with it for a period. When I saw them live I was rather disappointed though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 18:57
De-loused is magnificent and really tightly constructed, some of there signature tracks on there.
Frances the Mute is more on the epic psychedelic prog side 
Noctourniquet is very different again, some killer tracks there

I haven't heard the other albums yet but I'm really into them at the moment, so I will in a matter of days. They're so good it's almost unbelievable! 

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 19:19
I don't really like the sound and feel of TMV, which only makes it vastly more impressive that Frances The Mute is such a masterpiece. It's up there with any of the classic prog albums, excepting maybe three. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 19:26
of course.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 00:56
The first four are all pretty awesome, Octahedron was a bit of a challenge though... For now I'd rank them:
1. Amputechture (their masterpiece for me, the most consistent, fully packed with creativity)
2. De-Loused
3. The Bedlam in Goliath
4. Frances the Mute (the experimental sections are a bit under-developed and it doesn't flow that well...)
5. Octahedron
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 15:32
My ranking:

1. De-loused in the Comatorium
2. Frances the Mute
3. The other albums

De-loused is a fantastic slab of melodic (yes, it really is, if you listen), heavy contempo prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 19:06
Goliath and Amputechture are both solid albums, godamn! :o 

At the moment, I still haven't heard anything from them I haven't liked!!! Big smile

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - May 25 2017 at 19:07

UselessPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 23:55
TMV is right at the cusp of 'too much' for me, sometimes. They have this annoying tendency to insert utterly meaningless, nonsensical transitions into otherwise tight compositions where they just... well, seem to lose their minds, and not in a good way. These moments then drag on for far too long without melody, harmony or even coherent rhythms. They just leave me feeling irritated and fatigued.

On the other hand, when they do focus their efforts on actual composition, the results are amazing and intense. De-loused in the Comatorium is probably their most pointed effort, but I love Frances the Mute and Bedlam in Goliath as well. They're no doubt all very talented musicians and they tap into some fierce energy at times. They're ultimately one of those bands I have a constant love hate relationship. I'll damn them one moment for wasting my time and then embrace them the next for blowing my mind. Definitely a confusing experience.

Edited by UselessPassion - May 25 2017 at 23:56
[Hyperreflective paradigm breaking profundity goes here]
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 01:16
Few bands feel like mirror images of my mind. This is one of them. Probably my favorite band most of the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply