Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEpics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 08:11
Wobbler "From Silence To Somewhere"

Title track from their latest LP is so good!

Transatlantic "The Whirlwind"

78 minutes of pure bliss.
ElliotYork View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 06:23
Came here looking to make sure Crystallized was mentioned. It's incredible - the shift from the heavy section to the vocal harmonies after the 9 min mark grabs me every time. And the celtic-sounding bit after that? BRB! NEED TO LISTEN NOW!

As for others, I find the criteria of 15 minutes a bit arbitrary (why not 10 or 12 minutes?), and I just realised that 10 years only gives me as far back as 2008 - which feels just like yesterday. But here goes!

Other songs by Haken:

Celestial Elixir (2010) - 16:57
Visions (2011) - 22:25
The Architect (2016) - 15:40

All three meet the criteria and are all excellent. Celestial Elixir has a great mix of different genres, and manages to cover various brands of intensity in one track. Visions definitely calls back to early DT epics, and I think it does a great job of it. The Architect is a perfect blend of the 80s sound Haken were going for on Affinity with the prog metal epicness of their first three albums. Great track.

Dream Theater have three songs that qualify:

A Nightmare to Remember (2009) - 16:11
The Count of Tuscany (2009) - 19:16
Illumination Theory (2013) - 22:18

However, while I really like all three, I don't believe they are of the impeccable quality we are searching for here (and certainly not on the level of early DT epics like A Change of Seasons or Octavarium).

A Nightmare to Remember might be too *metal* for what you're looking for. I genuinely love the track, and I think it does an excellent job building up to being super heavy, then mellowing out, and then transitioning back to heavy again. But after that it just drags on too long. It should have been cut down to the 12-14 min range and it would have been a lot stronger.

The first few minutes of The Count of Tuscany is among the most well-composed music I have ever heard. Modern prog at its finest - simultaneously technical and beautiful. But after that it just kind of plateaus. The lyrics are also not that great, and the song feels sort of "artificially" long courtesy of the lengthy Rudess ambient section. Although it sounds great, it feels like an extended pause before the final part kicks in, which itself feels like an unrelated "hidden track" rather than an organic conclusion to an epic song.

Illumination Theory has a lot going for it, but doesn't flow as well as some of the great prog classics. It also has another lengthy Rudess ambient section, giving it that "artificially long" feeling, rather than taking the listener on a genuine musical journey. I also think that, even though it has some good sections, none of them are great enough to stand up to the greats.

Empire of the Clouds by Iron Maiden meets the criteria (as someone else mentioned) and is - for the most part - pretty great (though perhaps it does drag toward the end).

But, if I'm allowed to break only one of the criteria per song I can offer you two genuine DT classics:

Octavarium (which hopefully needs zero introduction on a prog forum) was released 13 years ago (wow!), and Breaking All Illusions, which was released 7 years ago and falls short by a couple minutes (12:26) but is just as much of an epic as any other song. It's a genuine DT classic and has one of Petrucci's all-time great solos. It's a shame it gets overlooked by so many people simply due to being of the post-Portnoy period.

The only other song that comes to mind is The Baron by Mastodon (2009), but even then I'm stretching the time critera again (13:01) and it may be too *metal* for what you've asked. That being said, I definitely think that it (and the album as a whole, which is a bona fide masterpiece) is just as much a prog album as it is a metal album.

I also REALLY want to say The Odyssey by Symphony X (I guess I just said it anyway! haha), but now I'm stretching back 16 years. But damn - that album is 16 years old already?

Edited by ElliotYork - January 02 2018 at 06:43
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 20:31
15 minutes? You call that epic?

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (More Is Never Enough Live)

79 minutes 46 seconds. Challenging the maximum track length of one CD

tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 00:18
"Seas of Change" by Galahad (2018) - 42:43
-They may have started off as a neo-prog band, but they've expanded into a lot of other genres at this point. Their most recent album is one single, 42-minute song, and it's pretty amazing.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 02:16
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

15 minutes? You call that epic?

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (More Is Never Enough Live)

79 minutes 46 seconds. Challenging the maximum track length of one CD

^Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Wink

15 mins is too arbitrary (and short) for my liking! What if it's 13:34 and kicks serious ass? Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 04:38
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

[QUOTE=paganinio]

^Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Wink

15 mins is too arbitrary (and short) for my liking! What if it's 13:34 and kicks serious ass!

I agree.  Seasoned Progladites know an epic when they hear one.  We don't need no sticking stop watches!Wink
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 06:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Can't say I have heard a lot of them, that's for sure.

But, I believe this might be more "time/era sensitive" than otherwise ... in the late 60's and early 70's it was quite OK to experiment and expand themes and have long pieces in the middle, that were not just another song, but a part of the symphonic/classic style of composition, even if something was totally free form, and just plain experimental, or in the case of early CAN, simply pieces of tape glued together!

Today, I think that we're looking for too much justification, and "meaning" as to what something is supposed to be, rather than you and I trying to relate to it ourselves, and I think that social think tank, prevents people from creating longer pieces of music, knowing that the majority of folks don't like it, and simply call it "filler", as has been the case many times here. 

It's really hard to feel a Beethoven, Mozart, Bach or any composer, even in rock music, as just creating "filler" ... and between you and I, even if I were a musician, I am not sure I would want to withstand the bombardment of crass and rude remarks ... maybe it was more possible in a time, when the media DID NOT dominate the landscape, but until such a time as we are not "controlled", or "influenced" by any media, I am not sure that these pieces can develop in an extremely satisfying way, as has been the case for a very long time.

But there will ALWAYS be something out there ... whether we find it, or hear it, is another matter altogether!

I'm not certain what you mean when you refer to those composers in relation to rock musicans and the use of 'filler' I would agree that those composers didn't compose 'filler' but I've heard what I would characterise as 'filler' in non classical music. It all depends on the emotional response the indivudual gets from the passge of music that is alleged to be 'filler'

Some regard The Waiting Room by Genesis as filler. I disagree, but an see why some folk think it is.

I feel there are passages on Frances the Mute by TMV (from memory...it's been a while!) that are little more than elongated sections of noise, AKA filler, and many would disagree with me.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 06:33
Getting back to the topic, Tonerna by Kaipa Da Capo is IMO absolutely fantastic. It's a perfect archetype of what a sweet and satisfying symphonic epic should be.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2018 at 10:58
Ur Vilande - Anglagard

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 06 2018 at 10:59

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234