Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRadiohead: Prog or Not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Do you consider Radiohead to be a progressive band.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [19.57%]
5 [10.87%]
21 [45.65%]
11 [23.91%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 13:35
Prog? No. Progressive? Yes. (No pun intended.)

Now, we need to distinguish between prog and progressive. Prog bands stick to the 70s formula. So bands like The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, The Tangent et al. Progressive bands, by the very word, move along, progress forwards. It's pretty safe to say Radiohead are in that group.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 14:27
Rick Wakeman says they're prog. Anyone want to argue this with Wakeman?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 14:44
Experimental and progressive. Like David and Roe have said: Prog? No. Progressive? Yes.

That said, I could say that certain music by Radiohead is both progressive and Prog depending on the definition/ parameters.

If this site had stuck to what is classically, or quintessentially Prog then I would find it a much less interesting archive. Additionally, such "what is Prog", "what is progressive" and "is this Prog?" discussion questions almost, sort-of seemingly, rather have seemed the lifeblood of this board despite the fact that such oft repeated questions can be draining to some (but to us vampires...).
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 14:57
I feel much the same Greg. I mostly listen to music under the psych, avant, fusion, kraut, zeuhl and rpi monikers these days - music I wouldn't describe as prog yet still feel belong on PA. Then again things would be a lot easier to navigate through if the site had stuck with classic prog.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 16:11
True, David. Incidentally, I would like to see much more progressive music covered, but would want changes in design and added features to make finding music that might be of interest easier. I'm glad that we expanded from classic Prog, and wish that the design/ layouts/ features were more progressive and less retro. The site's appearance and functionality has not changed very much since I joined... Well, of course we have had accessibility problems for what is left of the humans (not sure if the robots have been inconvenienced, but Ok computer, whatever) -- that's progress for you, robots and AI are the future, but I won't let that drive me round the Bends. But I digress.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 16:27
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Now, we need to distinguish between prog and progressive. Prog bands stick to the 70s formula. So bands like The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, The Tangent et al. Progressive bands, by the very word, move along, progress forwards. It's pretty safe to say Radiohead are in that group.

If this site was just these types of bands I wouldn't be here.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 07:13
I don't understand why the band is so controversial. I think they are awesome, and very prog indeed.

But, this is Prog Archives... Isn't it?
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 08:23
Good band, I'm happy they're here. Do I think they're prog? I don't care.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 08:41
I am generally a 'non-fan' when it comes to this 'alt-rock' sensation. HOWEVER, I bought the dbl 10" edition of Kid A. I like it a lot. It's great, I can see / hear / understand wh they are loved and considered Progressive. But am I sold - no. Do I think they are up there with the others considered as Prog ?? Not really. If Radiohead have any links with Prog, then so do Anthrax. Apologies, but this is how I see it.......(and Anthrax are more prog to me, or at least, related, than Metallica. Anyway, I'm off to bed coz I clearly have had too much to drink......
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 08:51

It's ironic then that prog bands are in no way progressive, but arguably little more than tribute acts for a bygone age, following that logic. 'Prog' bands were progressive at the time, because they were 'progressing' beyond existing forms of rock music, which is what the likes of Radiohead are doing now, sooo, by definition Radiohead are actually a real prog band. IMO.

They are where true progressive rock is now (and has been for the last 20+ years)Purists may not like that, but I think that is the reality.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 11:26
I've said it before and I'll say it again: prog rock is a music genre. It has nothing to do with following a timeline. Britney is not proggier than Yes.
"It's 2017, so every new fad is prog and everything from the 70's is old" It doesn't work like that.
Even the real meaning of progress has nothing to do with timelines. If you think it does, then the Iranian Revolution of 1979 and the rise of religious extremism means progress.
The rehash of the old "panem et circenses" and the rise of big govt. worshippers is no progress either (it tosses away the gathered knowledge in both politics and economics of the last five thousand years).
You can move forward in time while regressing, and the fourth world war might be fought with sticks and stones.
Progress doesn't follow a straight line and it's not constant.
Let's suppose Radiohead recorded their albums back in the 70's and Yes and Genesis released Fragile and Foxtrot today...now you can see progress, can't you? But I digress...

Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 11:37
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

It's ironic then that prog bands are in no way progressive, but arguably little more than tribute acts for a bygone age, following that logic. 'Prog' bands were progressive at the time, because they were 'progressing' beyond existing forms of rock music, which is what the likes of Radiohead are doing now, sooo, by definition Radiohead are actually a real prog band. IMO.

They are where true progressive rock is now (and has been for the last 20+ years)Purists may not like that, but I think that is the reality.

I often think along the same lines tbh. If prog rock had to do with the actual music (it did in the beginning though!) then it would've been what we nowadays call post-punk outfits who'd been dubbed prog rock. It was at the time a movement that progressed rock - experimented with the format - just like the early proggers did.
Prog has since the late 70s basically turned into a genre of music defined by many of the things we herald as wonderful here on PA ie mellotrons, odd time signatures, fusing rock with classical/folk/etc and so forth. It is very little new prog that actually is progressive, but then again that goes for all music genres - at least the ones that are over 30 years old.

The question though is whether or not the music is good - not how progressive it is.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 12:33
Do I think they are prog? no
Do I like them? no
Does it bother me that they are listed here? no

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 23:38
Yes Yes Yes Hmmmm YES!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 01:05
Great band whatever you want to call them. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 03:34
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I often think along the same lines tbh. If prog rock had to do with the actual music (it did in the beginning though!) then it would've been what we nowadays call post-punk outfits who'd been dubbed prog rock. It was at the time a movement that progressed rock - experimented with the format - just like the early proggers did.
Prog has since the late 70s basically turned into a genre of music defined by many of the things we herald as wonderful here on PA ie mellotrons, odd time signatures, fusing rock with classical/folk/etc and so forth. It is very little new prog that actually is progressive, but then again that goes for all music genres - at least the ones that are over 30 years old.

The question though is whether or not the music is good - not how progressive it is.

Yes, Amen to that!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12