Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A link between liking prog and liking superheroes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA link between liking prog and liking superheroes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A link between liking prog and liking superheroes
    Posted: July 22 2017 at 15:48
I wonder if there is a link, between searching for interesting prog albums and searching for the perfect Marvel or DC series. I find it as thrilling to nerd about prog as i do nerding about New Gods. Or thinking of the complex nature of Gentle Giant and the depth which Jack Kirbys legacy can reach.

Imo my interest for prog and for superheros relates, why?

Edited by Icarium - July 22 2017 at 15:49
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 16:03
Damn if I know, but here's a piece from one of my favourite albums:

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 16:16
^^ I suspect that it's because you like things that are somehow larger than life. Be it the almost, but not really, superhuman acrobatics of Gentle Giant, and the super abilities of superheroes. It's a sort of escapism from the mundane and ordinary world into this grander world where more is possible.

I'm not that big on comics or superheroes and I tend to prefer the music that is more down-to-earth, perhaps in some ways. That said, I like sc-fi and fantasy, but I'm not into the epic genre stuff such as Star Wars.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 16:18
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ I suspect that it's because you like things that are somehow larger than life. Be it the almost, but not really, superhuman acrobatics of Gentle Giant, and the super abilities of superheroes. It's a sort of escapism from the mundane and ordinary world into this grander world where more is possible.

Good thought.   There are definitely people here who like both comix and prog though evidence indicates there is no correlation.   I have a buddy who owns a comic shop and he hates most prog.  

Edited by Atavachron - July 22 2017 at 16:19
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 16:26
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Damn if I know, but here's a piece from one of my favourite albums:

this captures the esssence of New Gods to me which corrolates with my feelings of prog. Kea-features are passion, adventure and exietment for discovery.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 16:31
Interesting, by the way, I guess I shouldn't distance myself from comics too much, as if I see a comic book shop I'm like a [kid in a] candy store (even if I don't buy the candy).... Hmm, I'm noticing cognitive dissonance on my part.

EDIT: Typing worse than ever, could be the cognitive dissonance affecting me..

Edited by Logan - July 22 2017 at 18:26
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 18:21
Yep, Green Lantern told me i would love Magma and Thor led me to King Crimson. I think you're on to something

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 18:40
Personally, I'm pretty tired of superhero movies.

MYTH BUSTED

[edit] - althought, thinking about it, I have always had a pretty bad habit of collecting video games.

MYTH... PLAUSABLE...!?

Edited by Queen By-Tor - July 22 2017 at 18:43
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 19:07
I know for a fact that is going to be a sucky post because I'm planning to go off on tangents.

I like various films/ shows based on graphic novels and mangas, but not so much of the superhero variety. For instance, V for Vendetta, The Watchmen and 20th Century Boys and Akira did it for me, and shows like Death Note, but not stuff like Superman so much (the Adam West Batman was fun, but "Batman and Robin"....).

The thing, there not one of type of Prog fan so we're not all going to share the sames tastes outside of Prog either (not that we all would if we liked the same music in PA too).. I've long wanted to try to correlate the different styles of music we like with other interests such as film and TV, as well as our political bent. Those who gravitate mostly to more mainstream prog I would think would be more likely to gravitate to more mainstream cinema, for instance. Those who like experimental music are more likely to enjoy experimental film. Those who like quirky music are more likely to like quirky film etc. and less likely to consider themselves to be conservative when it comes to politics. Of course there are always exceptions.
 Post Reply Post Reply