Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFor those who give a s**t

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What worries you most right now?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [20.00%]
2 [6.67%]
3 [10.00%]
1 [3.33%]
1 [3.33%]
7 [23.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [20.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 05:28
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

There are far too many people on the planet. Humans are a virus in that sense. We just multiply in endless fashion until something stops us. If we cured cancer we'd be even more. 

Most of the problems listed in this poll are directly influenced by the sheer numbers of people and how they continuously bicker about what is right or wrong.

From the list <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18.2px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">The rise of the far right/collpase of liberalism, but this is my answer for in general. Not just too many humans, but especially the worst qualities of humanity that bubble up and stick with large swathes of stupid/ignorant public. Humanity really is just a waste of universal processing power. </span>

In times of economic decline, you always see a rise of the right, as the people look for scapegoats for the problems. By and large people are not intelligent or informed enough to understand the economics and government policy that leads to the problem, and helped by a compliant media, our leaders are able to divert attention from their unhealthy symbiotic relationship with the banking industry, and onto immigrant populations, and the poor.

If I were more intelligent and better educated - and had more time! - I'd be interested in studying the social psychology that underpins the kind of challenges we're seeing globally.

This article is worth a read. It's pretty good by BBC standards, and far more candid about such a dark subject than you would expect a western state broadcaster to be.

BBC - How western civilization could collapse

The wealth divide creating ill feeling and class division, the passing on of blame to those of other ethnicities, religions or nationalaties instead of the architects of the problems themselves and of course the rejection of evidence based fact in favour of emotionally charged opinions based on nothing but media reportage, all indictors of a civilization moving very much in the wrong direction. It seems not to have happened by accident IMO. There appears to have been a gargantuan move on the part of governments and corporations to ensure the hoarding of wealth at the top of the pile, and the deliberate and strategic witholding of money from where it's actually needed. It appears they are trying to manufacture class division, racial tension and mistrust.

That's before we even get onto Brexit, the Middle East, Russia and North Korea.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock...

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 17:11

There are far too many people on the planet. Humans are a virus in that sense. We just multiply in endless fashion until something stops us. If we cured cancer we'd be even more. 

Most of the problems listed in this poll are directly influenced by the sheer numbers of people and how they continuously bicker about what is right or wrong.

Agreed. I would suggest sending condoms to third world countries instead of food, or give women Long-Acting Reversible Contraceptives (like a hormonal contraceptive implant) before they can get foodstuffs. I am sick and tired of seeing babies die of starvation and malnutrition because the parents (who are also starving) won't desist from sexual activity or practice safe sex because of superstitions or ignorance. Or both. 

Make birth control a precondition to aid.

Climate change is directly related in many cases to overpopulation and overuse/erosion of land. You'd make a sizable dent in much of the world's issues by dropping anticipated human populations in a significant manner. I am not advocating killing the living.

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 11 2018 at 17:16
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 17:26

The problems are not due to overpopulation but rather to the overall vibration of the heart.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 21:18
Climate change and the multiple negative effects of tech addiction throughout an entire generation.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 22:42
How about slavery and sex trafficking?
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 03:28
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Agreed. I would suggest sending condoms to third world countries instead of food, or give women Long-Acting Reversible Contraceptives (like a hormonal contraceptive implant) before they can get foodstuffs. I am sick and tired of seeing babies die of starvation and malnutrition because the parents (who are also starving) won't desist from sexual activity or practice safe sex because of superstitions or ignorance. Or both. 

Make birth control a precondition to aid.

Climate change is directly related in many cases to overpopulation and overuse/erosion of land. You'd make a sizable dent in much of the world's issues by dropping anticipated human populations in a significant manner. I am not advocating killing the living.
One problem with this is that in many second or third world countries people will have children for economic reasons, so that the children can help make the family money and to take care of the parents when they get too old. To really take away the incentive you'd also have to have a strong financial safety net for the parents, which is of course very difficult to maintain in such countries. So yes, them having children is a major problem but trying to solve that alone won't get them out of the poverty cycle that got them into this in the first place. (Also it's not like that many people are individually living from 'aid', that's mostly not how it works)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 03:47
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

How about slavery and sex trafficking?

Both are absolutely sickening of course, but come under "Human rights abuses" I would say.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 13:51
Erosion of civil liberties sums it up nicely!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 15:17
I voted "Other."

When I look at the state of things, my biggest concern is societal/cultural mental health.

In a nutshell, I believe there is a near-psychotic break with reality happening en masse.

Many people are no longer able to recognize a linkage between cause and effect; between actions and consequences.  Taking personal responsibility for one's own poor choices/decisions is becoming rarer with each passing day.

Add to that, the popular (but completely wrong) notion that one can "redefine" reality to suit themselves.

It's a recipe for disaster, and we're definitely starting to reap what we've sown.

Edited by ProfPanglos - March 13 2018 at 15:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12