Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLone Star

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lone Star
    Posted: September 11 2005 at 15:59
Anyone else remember this band from the 1970s? They released 2 classic albums, the eponymous debut and Firing On All Six. Tracks such as The Bells Of Berlin and their Beatles cover "She said, she said" are pretty prog.
What do others think?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 16:03

Lone Star are very underrated IMO.I agree that both their albums are great.Bells Of Berlin is a brilliant prog track..much played by ALan ''Fluff'' Freeman in the seventies on his rock show.

Good call

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 17:06
God, I remember them! Much praised by the music press at the time, if I recall correctly!
shekhar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 17:13
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 17:36

Oh yeah brilliant band...not sure if 'remember' is the right word as I'm only 17, but they are still a TOP band, who are worthy of a place here. 'She Said She Said' is one of the best Beatles covers ever too.

Here's a more obvious chance for me to shove in yet another Uriah Heep connection, as their second singer, John Sloman joined Heep and led to the departure of Ken Hensley...

I think Lone Star did a third album called 'Flying High' that was unreleased then but has since come out on Zoom Club records.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2005 at 08:12
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Oh yeah brilliant band...not sure if 'remember' is the right word as I'm only 17, but they are still a TOP band, who are worthy of a place here. 'She Said She Said' is one of the best Beatles covers ever too.

Here's a more obvious chance for me to shove in yet another Uriah Heep connection, as their second singer, John Sloman joined Heep and led to the departure of Ken Hensley...

I think Lone Star did a third album called 'Flying High' that was unreleased then but has since come out on Zoom Club records.

You're right! There's also a Radio 1 Live In Concert CD that I didn't know about. Looks like it features both line ups (Kenny Driscoll and John Sloman). I'll have to check that out. There are samples at http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,216396 ,00.html

Steve View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 14:23
Yeah great band, Welsh Guitarist Paul Chapman and on the second album Welsh singer John Sloman.
See The Swan Fly High
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 14:30

"Firing on all six" was a great album, "All of us to all of you" was a real crowd pleaser.

I think of them in the same mould as bands like Magnum myself, flirted with prog, but really melodic rock.

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 16:45

Yes they aren't full blown prog, but like Magnum, if there were to be a 'prog related' section, these bands would be prime candidates.

On the subject of Magnum, I believe that their albums from 'Kingdom Of Madness' through to 'The Eleventh Hour' are being remastered and overhauled due for release in October. 'On A Storyteller's Night' has already received a 2-CD release, by the way, but I can't wait for those releases!

Post Reply Post Reply