Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone got info on the band ’Steel Mill’?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone got info on the band ’Steel Mill’?
    Posted: July 06 2004 at 11:36

I stumbled across a CD called 'Green Eyed God' by an English band call Steel Mill. The music was first published in 1971, and is not too bad a listen. I quite like the title track, a near 10 minutes worth with a Jethro Tull kinda sound.

Steel Mill do not have a listing in the Prog Archives encyclopedia. Does anyone have any info on this band?

Do they have any other albums?

Anyone else have a copy of 'Green Eyed God', and what do you think of it?

"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2004 at 14:36

Hi T Rox, welcome to the forum!Big smile

There seems to be a fair bit of mystery surrounding the band. I have their album also called "Green eyed god" on CD. It has a 9:40 version of the title track, although for me the single version was probably better. (I also have the 7" single, I was offered £50 for it at a record fair once!) The CD also has their other single "Get on the line" as a bonus track. "Get on the line" was a great rock track, quite different to "GEG". I remember Alan Freeman (famous British DJ who loved prog)playing it once, and describing it as a mighty "sound". "Green eyed god" was a great single. A bit Focus/Jethro Tull to start, and a fantasic guitar riff to end.

The CD has some interesting sleeve notes, mainly describing how the author could find out virtually nothing about the band, despite much effort. Neither Larry Page (the owner of the Penny Farthing label) or John Schroder, the album producer, had any recollection of the recordings. The British Musicians' Union had no record of any of the band members, and Record Collector Magazine could offer nothing.

I submitted a query on the Mojo enlightenment website a couple of years ago, and got one response saying one member of the band had gone on to play with Wishbone Ash. I have my doubts about that, as the instrument he was said to have played with W. Ash did not match up with what he's credited with on GEG (can't remember the details now I'm afraid).

Looks like we'll just have to enjoy their music and let them remain anonymous!

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2004 at 23:17

Guys:

Easy Livin is correct that there is vitually no information to be found, even with fairly deep online research.  The only thing I found of any note was at:

http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/steelmillinfo.htm

Peace.

Post Reply Post Reply