4 [7.55%]
15 [28.30%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 23:39
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, I do love their post 70's albums, but I love best their "classic" era (I guess I would include Meddle in that era... though not Obscured by Clouds... nor The Final Cut). And I do love their pre Dark Side (or pre Echoes) music just as much as the post 70's... even if it's for very different reasons. I think their best moments on that period are the live recordings... they really could take otherwise short and simple songs into a whole new level. And about Wish you were Here, yeah, indeed you should have used Shine On... or at the very least Welcome to the Machine, but even more so Shine On (I bet it's mostly those two songs... or 3, depending if you consider Shine On one song or two... the ones that have made that album their highest rated on this site... I know those are the reasons that is MY favourite album from the band). Wish you were Here is sureley a favourite songs for many outside prog circles, but in here, yeah, it might be a well liked song, yet not a highlight. For me, my favourite albums are Wish you were Here, and Animals almost tied to it, and then perhaps not a very usual choice, but The Division Bell would be my third. Then, I don't know, I guess Dark Side, or Live in Pompeii... Ummagumma would be there if it were just the live album. However, I do love lots of stuff from most of their albums, there's just no other band that has so much that I like and so little that I don't.
Well, the one reason why I love Pink Floyd so much, is that even their eighties albums they have their unique Floyd sound. They really haven´t got any totally poor albums. Also I really love their seventies lives, for example Fat Old Sun is quite different, a lot better song in `71 live. Also today´s I mostly listened Dark Side Of the Moon as a live version from `72 Rainbow Theatre, it´s really great when On the Run & Great Gig are those travel & mortal sequences with totally different music.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 12:04
I'll go with   Time   today

love most of these songs
Prog On!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 12:57
Good Stuff. For me it was between Dogs & Schizoid Man. I went with Dogs.

Edited by Argo2112 - March 20 2018 at 12:58
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 14:01
Time
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 14:21
Sigmund says he hears some echos.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 15:11
Going on pure favorite...Starless. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 22:06
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Well, I do love their post 70's albums, but I love best their "classic" era (I guess I would include Meddle in that era... though not Obscured by Clouds... nor The Final Cut). And I do love their pre Dark Side (or pre Echoes) music just as much as the post 70's... even if it's for very different reasons. I think their best moments on that period are the live recordings... they really could take otherwise short and simple songs into a whole new level. And about Wish you were Here, yeah, indeed you should have used Shine On... or at the very least Welcome to the Machine, but even more so Shine On (I bet it's mostly those two songs... or 3, depending if you consider Shine On one song or two... the ones that have made that album their highest rated on this site... I know those are the reasons that is MY favourite album from the band). Wish you were Here is sureley a favourite songs for many outside prog circles, but in here, yeah, it might be a well liked song, yet not a highlight. For me, my favourite albums are Wish you were Here, and Animals almost tied to it, and then perhaps not a very usual choice, but The Division Bell would be my third. Then, I don't know, I guess Dark Side, or Live in Pompeii... Ummagumma would be there if it were just the live album. However, I do love lots of stuff from most of their albums, there's just no other band that has so much that I like and so little that I don't.
Well, the one reason why I love Pink Floyd so much, is that even their eighties albums they have their unique Floyd sound. They really haven´t got any totally poor albums. Also I really love their seventies lives, for example Fat Old Sun is quite different, a lot better song in `71 live. Also today´s I mostly listened Dark Side Of the Moon as a live version from `72 Rainbow Theatre, it´s really great when On the Run & Great Gig are those travel & mortal sequences with totally different music.

Actually... no, you're right. I was thinking they only got one 80's album, but there's also The Final Cut. I guess I like both albums about the same, though for very different reasons. Fat Old Sun live is wonderful... almost turned into an epic... it sort of reminds me of how the Rainbow song "Catch the Rainbow" sounds on the live album "On Stage" (actually, Deep Purple and Blackmore related bands so seem to do live songs very great too, if you haven't checked them out yet). As for Dark Side live... I do love it (the version that came as an extra on the latest re-releases), but I do like the studio one better for the most part. The studio one has all the sound of the new Pink Floyd that we would hear on the next two albums (and already heard on Echoes), but the live version still sounds like their previous works, which is both good and well, not bad at all, but I'm used to the more polished studio version.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 23:33

Actually... no, you're right. I was thinking they only got one 80's album, but there's also The Final Cut. I guess I like both albums about the same, though for very different reasons. Fat Old Sun live is wonderful... almost turned into an epic... it sort of reminds me of how the Rainbow song "Catch the Rainbow" sounds on the live album "On Stage" (actually, Deep Purple and Blackmore related bands so seem to do live songs very great too, if you haven't checked them out yet). As for Dark Side live... I do love it (the version that came as an extra on the latest re-releases), but I do like the studio one better for the most part. The studio one has all the sound of the new Pink Floyd that we would hear on the next two albums (and already heard on Echoes), but the live version still sounds like their previous works, which is both good and well, not bad at all, but I'm used to the more polished studio version.
Not listened that much Rainbow (after reading Purple book really would have wanted to listen at least their early studio albums, but too little time and too much to listen...and soon I have to go to work, so even less time), but Deep Purple´s Made In Japan is one my favourite lives. Also have In Concert from them, it´s really great too!

Of course I love more studio DSoTM, but when listening it so much in the studio, that different sounding live and also with some different music has been much more interesting. Specially when these days pre-DSoTM-albums have been my biggest favourites. BTW I´m not sure do we already discussed about this, but also pre-Animals live versions from Dogs & Sheep are quite interesting.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 01:07
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

At this moment it seems Crimson has more love here than Floyd.

obviously, KC is untouchable here, hands off. KC is for progheads what Slayer is for metalheads. Don't you dare say anything bad about them, you'll be in big trouble (LOL). 

I have and I love it ClapLOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 01:33
Atom Heart Mother, then Echoes, then Dogs.

From unlisted songs my top 3 would be A Saucerful Of Secrets, Welcome To The Machine, and Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 04:05
Several Species of Small Furry Animals was our band name in 1989-1994. Then I started band, that name was Red.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 11:17
All decent tracks on the list....as Man With Hat said......going with one of my personal favorites....Starless.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123