FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe AD2-Gong-Hawkwind-VdGG maze

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The AD2-Gong-Hawkwind-VdGG maze
    Posted: March 31 2018 at 07:40
I will explain what I mean by this somewhat strange title. Amon Düül 2, Gong, Hawkwind and Van der Graaf Generator are extremely closely connected. Some examples:

Amon Düül bass player Dave Anderson left the band to join Hawkwind and later was co-founder of the British branch of Amon Düül, together with John Weinzierl of Amon Düül 2.

VdGG drummer Guy Evans also was drummer of Mother Gong, a splinter group of Gong, and of the British Amon Düül.

The first solo album of Hawkwind sax and flute player Nik Turner features several members of Gong (Steve Hillage, Mike Howlett, Tim Blake, Miquette Giraudy) and a member of Mother Gong (Harry Williamson).

Nik Turner also appears on the Mother Gong albums "Fairy Tales" and "Robot Woman".

VdGG bass player Nic Potter plays on the solo album "Fresh Blood" by Hawkwind keyboarder Steve Swindells (together with Hawkwind drummer Simon King and Hawkwind guitarist Huw Lloyd-Langton).

Hawkwind singer Robert Calvert sings on two albums of the British Amon Düül, "Die Lösung" and "Fool Moon".

Tim Blake was keyboarder of both Gong and Hawkwind and for some period even a member of both bands at the same time.

These four bands are certainly closely interconnected.

Edited by BaldFriede - March 31 2018 at 16:10

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 07:49
Not that I disagree with anything you wrote but Gong alone have such a regular turnover of people (and up to three or even four incarnations active at the same time) and are so communicative that they're well connected to just about everyone reaching as far as the Cardiacs.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 07:57
Certainly, and Hawkwind even have a faster changing personal carousel.

By the way, Amon Düül 2, Embryo, Guru Guru and Kraan are also very much interconnected.

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 08:57
Very true. 

Hawkwind basically became "Dave Brock sacks everyone and we all get worse and worse and worse" - but they play Silver Machine, so all the old fans keep turning up. 

Met most early Hawkwind members, Nik Turner more than once or twice. Nice bloke. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 09:44
Hi,

I'm not one for worrying about the inter-mechanics of who sleeps with who and who plays with who. 

I, honestly, feel that the music is the important thing, and for many of these folks, it really shows/states how versatile and creative they could be, doing different things. In some cases, it looks like they did it simply to try something that they would not actually do, or did, and I thought AD2 album "Utopia" was a perfect example, when you see in one piece, they can even do jazz, if they ever needed to!

I was thinking ... was it not "Embryo" that was kind of a sister band to AD2?

The only strange one for me, is how John Weinzierl did not end up getting picked up by a major band, for his ability and creativity. I would imagine that he told them all off, but if my name was Scorpions and I needed a replacement lead guitar to share the duties, I would ask him first! 

On the AD2 website, it seems that John did a lot of their html work, or at least answered some of the emails. In communication, once he was not happy with a few things, specially "Nada Moonshine#, which is not a super-super album but it has some nice things, and he called it "b*****d" ... of an album, and I am guessing that they got ripped off in the studio. It was a nice album, I reviewed it, and the only thing it was missing was a little more improvisation to free up the music a bit, since it was all about "the songs", which I think is what JW was really meaning. That's just a thought on my part. 

At the time, he was also hurt/disappointed with the "UTOPIA" album which had not made it into CD as yet, and was virtually impossible. The album was magnificent, and I was glad to be able to get a copy in LA (Moby Disk!). 

Also, should be listed in the mixing of musicians, Popol Vuh, who had Daniel and Renate with them several times. Her voice is unmistakable in a couple of albums.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 10:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm not one for worrying about the inter-mechanics of who sleeps with who and who plays with who. 

I, honestly, feel that the music is the important thing, and for many of these folks, it really shows/states how versatile and creative they could be, doing different things. In some cases, it looks like they did it simply to try something that they would not actually do, or did, and I thought AD2 album "Utopia" was a perfect example, when you see in one piece, they can even do jazz, if they ever needed to!

I was thinking ... was it not "Embryo" that was kind of a sister band to AD2?

The only strange one for me, is how John Weinzierl did not end up getting picked up by a major band, for his ability and creativity. I would imagine that he told them all off, but if my name was Scorpions and I needed a replacement lead guitar to share the duties, I would ask him first! 

On the AD2 website, it seems that John did a lot of their html work, or at least answered some of the emails. In communication, once he was not happy with a few things, specially "Nada Moonshine#, which is not a super-super album but it has some nice things, and he called it "b*****d" ... of an album, and I am guessing that they got ripped off in the studio. It was a nice album, I reviewed it, and the only thing it was missing was a little more improvisation to free up the music a bit, since it was all about "the songs", which I think is what JW was really meaning. That's just a thought on my part. 

At the time, he was also hurt/disappointed with the "UTOPIA" album which had not made it into CD as yet, and was virtually impossible. The album was magnificent, and I was glad to be able to get a copy in LA (Moby Disk!). 

Also, should be listed in the mixing of musicians, Popol Vuh, who had Daniel and Renate with them several times. Her voice is unmistakable in a couple of albums.

A little correction: "Utopia" is NOT an Amon Düül 2 album, and there is quite a story about it:

During the recording sessions for "Wolf City" there were quarrels with threats involving knives and revolvers among the band members (the kind of "I want this song of mine on the album" quarrels). Due to these quarrels the band split up, and one half started the project Utopia and recorded a self-titled album of their own.

Since both bands used the same studio it was inevitable that they met during recording sessions and, in typical Amon Düül 2 fashion, made peace again, which resulted in all musicians playing on both albums. One song (Deutsch Nepal) was so much liked by all that both bands wanted it on their album, and so it happened (I bet a lot of people wondered why the song appears on both albums, albeit in slightly different versions; well, this is the reason). This is why the Utopia album is now correctly listed under Utopia (it was listed under Amon Düül 2 when Jean and I joined the archives, but I had the error corrected).

The Utopia album was later re-released under the name Amon Düül 2, but historically this is totally incorrect.

This information is from the excellent Amon Düül 2 biography "Tanz der Lemminge" by the late rock journalist Ingeborg Schober, who was a close friend of Amon Düül 2.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 01 2018 at 11:01

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 14:19
I’m sure Nic Potter, Huw Lloyd-Langton and one other (Guy Evans ?) had a short-lived band by the name of Amon Din. Huwey also played on Nic’s excellent debut Mountain Music. As it is, this is a collective of like-minded musicians with lots of talent. It’s a rare find, and inevitable they’d intermingle at some stage.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 14:46
Amon Din consisted of Dave Anderson, Huw Lloyd-Langton, drummer John Lingwood and singer John Butler.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 15:21
This makes me think of the wonderful friendship that is the progressive music community, when artists flow from one band to another, enriching their experiences and gathering influences from everyone else. For this, they have won my respect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 15:55
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Amon Din consisted of Dave Anderson, Huw Lloyd-Langton, drummer John Lingwood and singer John Butler.
There you go - my scatter-brain scrambled memory knew something along those lines. Shame no recordings exist.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 17:48

Is this Manfred Mann's Earthband's John Lingwood?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 22:34
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

This makes me think of the wonderful friendship that is the progressive music community, when artists flow from one band to another, enriching their experiences and gathering influences from everyone else. For this, they have won my respect.
This has been in popular music since it´s started. Elvis respected his influences and performed with black artists in the fifties, also with the other fifties rockers from Sun Records. Beatles helped Rolling Stones giving them "I Wanna Be Your Man" in their early career, also giving songs to other UK artists. Rolling Stones made R´N`R Circus, were performing among them Jehtro Tull, Keith Richards, John Lennon, the Who. It was released in the nineties because Stones thought Who looked much better in it, but anyway I think they have a jolly good time. And in prog I think Canterbury has been great example of "one big family"-attitude.

Of course there has also happened negative things between artists, for example Rush decided they will always be friendly towards their supports after being badly treated as Aerosmith support.

Edited by Mortte - March 31 2018 at 22:36
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 05:13
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

And in prog I think Canterbury has been great example of "one big family"-attitude.

The same could be said for the Krautrock scene.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 05:53
f**king craptcha that got me, on one of my more serious responses......
Dang, in a nut shell : I knew (vaguely) of names like Yes, ELP etc. I discovered Asia s/t in my sister’s cassette collection (mid-80’s), the rest is history. And I do think highly of Asia’s debut - I guarantee that only musicians of Prog-Rock caliber could produce this kind of accessible ‘Arena Rock’, along with a degree of complexity. So, hats off to Pete Frame and his ‘Rock Family Trees’ studies !! I’m sure if Frame traced back Dire Straits roots, he’d come across Man and Spring (thanks to drummers Terry Williams and Pique Withers).

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 01 2018 at 05:59
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 07:17

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

And in prog I think Canterbury has been great example of "one big family"-attitude.

The same could be said for the Krautrock scene.
Not an expert of Krautrock, but just listened an interview by Hans Joachim Irmler, where he said Faust and other krautbands hadn´t got co-operation in the seventies, that he thought was sad. But of course, there always had been bands that made co-operation and also "lone wolves" in the same scenes. In Finland also many progbands did co-operation in the seventies, I think one reason was the progcircles here were really small.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 08:09

A little correction: "Utopia" is NOT an Amon Düül 2 album, and there is quite a story about it:
The Utopia album was later re-released under the name Amon Düül 2, but historically this is totally incorrect.
This information is from the excellent Amon Düül 2 biography "Tanz der Lemminge" by the late rock journalist Ingeborg Schober, who was a close friend of Amon Düül 2.

Yes, the book that I can never read because there is no English version, and my German, is not even elementary! Sad to see stuff like this in this day and age, but that's the way it is as Walter Cronkite used to say!

We first got the album in/around 1974 or so, and it was a story and a half already at that time, since there was no information anywhere ... only that it had some members of AD2. At that time, around, or after summer 1974, and I have some of this on the Space Pirate Radio shows, there was another album that was impossible to get here on the West Coast ... "Live in London". And somehow, Moby Disk (Van Nuys famous import vendor for many years in the LA area -- I seem to be the only one mentioning it, and they deserve a lot of pats on the back for a lot of music in the progressive genre here in the West Coast!), got a couple of copies and on the next show (on Sunday night) Guy Guden immediately played it. And I think it was like the week after or something like it that Guy came across UTOPIA, and, of course, to my knowledge, there was no information about it, except that there were those folks again.

It took Guy, 1 minute, and both versions of "Deutsche Nepal" were played back to back (number 1 FM station in the market, mind you!) and over the years this was done many more times, because it was funny, and entertaining, and later with "La Krautoma" behind it with its introduction, which nowadays, would likely get someone in trouble at a radio station, but you can do it on the Internet.

I think I remember you having stated that about the UTOPIA album before, and I apologize for my old age memory (67) and not mentioning it, which I should have. It's what happens when so much of this stuff is committed strictly to memory and not recorded on written form, and for me, validating a lot of this work, is always important for me, and a sort of "family tradition", as the famous father was known for the same thing, even though mine is on a subject that many people still consider trash and just popular music ... which drives me nuts ... totally disrespectful to the human spirit. And it's worse with women in music!

One more thing ... someone commented on FAUST not feeling like they were a part of the family, or something to that effect. When I first heard FAUST, and it was probably 1973 or 1974, Guy was already using a lot of its moments in the album on the air in various ID's and commercials and that was how I got "familiar" with FAUST. By the time I heard the albums in their entirety, the novelty had worn down, and it was much easier to relate to and ENJOY ... which I think would have not exactly been an enjoyment listen prior to being familiar with those parts. If this makes sense to you, then you know how difficult it might have been to be around/with some of the members of FAUST, not to mention that other artists were also doing the individual thing on stage with electronics, with noise and what not. EUROCK lists and talks to a whole bunch of them, and I seem to think/recollect that some of those folks were simply in different parts of Germany, and did not exactly connect/talk to each other. At the time, GERMANY was quite separated from each other, and it shows in the different styles/types of music that is known as 'KRAUTROCK", AND is well documented in "FUTURE DAYS", the book by David Stubbs, a very exhausting read, about many bands and the different scenes in Germany at the time.

Don't forget, that a lot of this was also happening in FILM, THEATER and LITERATURE, and that it had started way before in the late 60's. And just for a comparison point, it is no surprise that Klaus Kinski was so well versed in the tradition of ad-lib and free form expression, which he used time and again with Werner Herzog in more than one film. It is even said that in a couple of films there was no script at all for Klaus, and does this not sound familiar to the "improvisations" that we are so familiar with in "KRAUTROCK". 

Sadly, this artistic comparison is the part/soul missing in a lot of the music to make it be stronger than just another popular song, and meaningless lyric or two. 

And a huge thanks to BaldFriede and companion for their very valuable and inclusive information on these things. I wish I could compile it all better to help make a more inclusive history of many of these things. I find them artistically important and a valuable detail in the artistic process. Now, if I can get JW to agree with me, we all might have a cup of tea in the great sky of the music!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 08:43
^ Hey Moshkito !!! You 67 years old ! ????
Hats off to you, dear Sir !!!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 09:15
"Don't forget, that a lot of this was also happening in FILM, THEATER and LITERATURE, and that it had started way before in the late 60's. And just for a comparison point, it is no surprise that Klaus Kinski was so well versed in the tradition of ad-lib and free form expression, which he used time and again with Werner Herzog in more than one film. It is even said that in a couple of films there was no script at all for Klaus, and does this not sound familiar to the "improvisations" that we are so familiar with in "KRAUTROCK". "

Pedro.
What do you think the word "improvisation" means ??????

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 07:54
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

"Don't forget, that a lot of this was also happening in FILM, THEATER and LITERATURE, and that it had started way before in the late 60's. And just for a comparison point, it is no surprise that Klaus Kinski was so well versed in the tradition of ad-lib and free form expression, which he used time and again with Werner Herzog in more than one film. It is even said that in a couple of films there was no script at all for Klaus, and does this not sound familiar to the "improvisations" that we are so familiar with in "KRAUTROCK". "

Pedro.
What do you think the word "improvisation" means ??????

"Scream your last scream, you old woman with a basket!"

Syd B.
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply