Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beautiful Piano Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 11:21
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Rick Davis side of Supertramp and some of Rodgers supertramp tracks is full of grand piano. Some melodic but also Rick could do intricate things as well. The solo on Child of Vision is genious.

Well, there are times when a 'simple' piano collaboration is even more outstanding than that, taking the song to another level. One example of that is Sabbath's Air Dance, Don Airey's flat out magic touch on that song definitely helped making it as enjoyable as most of the Supertramp tracks, let alone it is undoubtedly a pretty more rocking tune imb....

The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 11:30
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

I go with something probably new to people here but sure more "progressive" and that really smokes so many piano 'prog' when it comes to elegant and beautiful piano music. I'm talking about Billy Joel, his album "Fantasies & Delusions" is sheer brilliance.

well you got me there....not many can do that but showing my age in saying Billy Joel lost me after Glass houses... the first album I smoked dope to in fact.  Downhill after that.. for him..and for me hahah

I haven't heard that one.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 13:13
Already mentioned, but I go with Iamthemorning and Renaissance.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 13:46
Tony Banks' intro to "Firth of Fifth" is one of the loveliest piano moments I can think of.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 14:17
Good songs with very little technical ability, though very melodic, emotional/moving?
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 14:20
A few come to mind. One for the Vine by Genesis and House With No Door by Van der Graaf Generator
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 14:54
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I go with something probably new to people here but sure more "progressive" and that really smokes so many piano 'prog' when it comes to elegant and beautiful piano music. I'm talking about Billy Joel, his album "Fantasies & Delusions" is sheer brilliance.

well you got me there....not many can do that but showing my age in saying Billy Joel lost me after Glass houses... the first album I smoked dope to in fact.  Downhill after that.. for him..and for me hahah

I haven't heard that one.

Give it a try man, sure you'll gimme plus one o'respect point for it haha , but I'd say that listening to that album won't enhance dope smoking nor make it any better, neither vice versa ;)

As for the other Billy Joel's works, there are a bunch of songs on his post Glass Houses releases that I really care for, particularly their live performances.

Edited by Tillerman88 - April 21 2018 at 14:56
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 16:26
Good call on The Enid, some lovely keyboard stuff there.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 17:04
These are my very favorites:

RYUICHI SAKAMOTO
CICADA (Taiwanese / Jesey Chiang)
ALEXANDRE DESPLAT (soundtrack artist)
PSYCHIC TRAVELLER
GLEB KOLYADIN / IAMTHEMORNING
EYOT

Also worthy of checking out:
DUNGEN
UNAKA PRONG
TORI AMOS
SVETAMUZIKA
MANEIGE
KOTEBEL
KATE BUSH
IL TEMPIO DELLE CLESSIDRE
HIROMI UEHARA
DAVID MINASIAN
SUNWRAE
SETNA
POLLEN
MICE ON STILTS
CIRRUS BAY
CHICK COREA
BLUE NILE
BENT KNEE
AMPLEDEED
AMOEBA SPLIT
AFTER CRYING
ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 07:02
Also Yiruma - although no connection to prog.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 07:34
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The first thing related to prog that came to mind was the beautiful piano in Take A Pebble...ELP....but perhaps that's far too famous for your tastes.

Actually, I would go check Rachel Flowers and appreciate the piano and organ versions she has of a lot of ELP and Keith's work.

It defines what MUSIC is really all about that so many rock fans (progressive included!) can not and do not appreciate, and worse ... they won't listen to it, because it is not electrified or noise'ified.

I don't mind your question, but even Rick Wakeman has done acoustic piano versions of his material and other folks' material ... and I think that it is possible that you are walking a fine line to not appreciating a lot of music simply because it doesn't have "beautiful piano". Things like Banco, and many Italian bands (specially) have outstanding classically sounding material and use a piano, very differently than how we think and expect due to the top of the pops styles that we're used to hearing all the time!

Other than that ... for you there's always Elton John, right?

Big smile
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 12:40
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 09:30

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Rick Davis side of Supertramp and some of Rodgers supertramp tracks is full of grand piano. Some melodic but also Rick could do intricate things as well. The solo on Child of Vision is genious.

Well, there are times when a 'simple' piano collaboration is even more outstanding than that, taking the song to another level. One example of that is Sabbath's Air Dance, Don Airey's flat out magic touch on that song definitely helped making it as enjoyable as most of the Supertramp tracks, let alone it is undoubtedly a pretty more rocking tune imb....

I think Rick Davies of Supertramp might be my very favorite. He has such great taste, and in the studio, never plays an extra note, leaves space. Though it's very simple, the piano solo on "School" is a great one. Funny thing is, each guy play their best solos on the OTHER guys' song (Hodgson's guitar solo on "Waiting so Long"). Child of Vision is amazing, too.. I think the Am-F riff on "Crime of the Century" might be the best ever, even though it took 30 seconds to figure it out.

Another thing that sometimes gets lost are the chords. "Just a Normal Day" would be one example, but also how they fit together.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 10:25
Love that simple Wakeman tickling of the ivories in the middle of Southside of the Sky. Wonderfully emotive and a great lead up to what ensues.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 13:48
^ Indeed. Fragile was my first Yes album, and at first it was somewhat difficult to understand. That piano part was one of the hooks that kept me listening to the album over and over again until I finally clicked and became one of my favourite albums up until now.
PeterKiel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterKiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 05:04
I have a solo project called Forest god featuring members of SuperScum, Myrkur and Essence: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REK6Rhw8v8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xpVIN3gNd4

I hope you like it. 

Best regards 
Peter 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123