Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Derek Smalls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Derek Smalls
    Posted: May 08 2018 at 11:07
The fictional bass player (Harry Shearer) from the fictional band Spinal Tap released a solo album last month, "Smalls Change: Meditations On Ageing"

It's not prog, but does have some prog in it.

Guest musicians include Steve Luthaker, Waddy Wachtel, David Crosby, Peter Frampton, Greg Bissonette, David Crosby, Dweezil Zappa, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Donald Fagen and the reigning king of keyboards, Rick Wakeman.

I don't want to give too much away, but the lyrics are hysterically funny, and the songs range from good to great.

The highlight is the closing prog epic "When Men Did Rock".  If you ever wanted to hear Wakeman trading solos with Satriani, here it is.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 11:56
I love Shearer, he had a good talk show on NPR.   One of the best parts of the Spinal Tap legacy is the music, including the Folksmen.   A Mighty Wind is on a par with Tap.

I'll look for Smalls' album, sounds good.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 13:43
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

The fictional bass player (Harry Shearer) from the fictional band Spinal Tap released a solo album last month, "Smalls Change: Meditations On Ageing"

It's not prog, but does have some prog in it.

Guest musicians include Steve Luthaker, Waddy Wachtel, David Crosby, Peter Frampton, Greg Bissonette, David Crosby, Dweezil Zappa, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Donald Fagen and the reigning king of keyboards, Rick Wakeman.

I don't want to give too much away, but the lyrics are hysterically funny, and the songs range from good to great.

The highlight is the closing prog epic "When Men Did Rock".  If you ever wanted to hear Wakeman trading solos with Satriani, here it is.

Outstanding, I hadn't heard!!  A must-have!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 13:59
If you love Harry, here's his show

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/le-show-harry-shearer/mort-sahl
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 19:23
Hope he expands on his Jazz Odyssey on the next album.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 20:26
^ or a new mounting of Saucy Jack

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 02:01
^Ah, Saucy Jack, yes...

I DO have one question, though...are we gonna play Stonehenge?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 14:05
Holy cow! How did I forget about this? Tremendous!!! And those solos!

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 14:57
Who cares if it's prog. Spinal Tap was AWESOME! I wish they released more album because "Break Like The Wind" is one of my favorite albums EVER!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 15:25
^What he said!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 05:27
I have always wondered whether the name Derek Smalls was an acknowledgment of sorts to the fictitious Derek Small character from the fictitious town of Linwell Heath from Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play. Martin Barre is pictured here below in the guise of Derek Small from the A Passion Play booklet. Has anyone ever heard that this might be the case?

Edited by BarryGlibb - September 22 2018 at 05:27
 Post Reply Post Reply