Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the Pan Flute shunned by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 08:20
First thing I thought of was that Latino band---So funny you already mentioned them but been loving that subway band for years in NYC--AGUA CLARA!!

Live version of Sierra Quemada on Hackett's Somewhere in South America--has what sounds like a pan flute--it's not the best live version of the song because of it lol
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 08:26
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I daresay there is some in the works of Los Jaivas
I was going to mentioned them.Iit works nicely in their context but apart from Jos Jaivas the pan flute is shunned by me.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 17:22
Some South American bands, like Sikus, use the pan flute in their ethnic influenced rock music.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 00:52
Been curious about this for some time. There is no reason that more traditional world  instruments can not be used. The Progressive genre of the 70's did make a mad dash for all kinds of instruments you would not consider in a rock band just for the unusual or exciting and exotic sounds they made. I quite like some more traditional Andean music and came across Los Jaivas some time ago. Here you will find everything from keyboards to traditional pipes of all sorts. They combine rock with traditional Andean and some of it can become fairly Progressive.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 01:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oxvmNgBjTE
Here's a preview of one of Los Jaivas tracks. It's a track Los Poderosa Muerte from their Alturas de Macchu Picchu album of 1981.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12