Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings from NJ!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilywhite Lilith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from NJ!
    Posted: July 12 2018 at 18:30
Hi all! 

New member here and first time post. Have found a ton of great recommendations & reviews on the site and have been thinking of joining for quite some time- finally pulling the trigger! I'm in my 20s and virtually nobody I know is into prog. Needless to say, there is a ton I would love to discuss but nobody to discuss with who shares the same love I do for this great music. 

Grew up playing the drums and was naturally drawn to Neil Peart's style. Went to my first Rush show in High School and have never looked back from there. My dad was into bands like Genesis, ELP, & Yes in the 70s and gets full credit for introducing me to this world. Well my friends from there it has been a long journey into the world of progressive rock and discovering bands like Camel, Soft Machine, Caravan, Focus, Egg (could go on forever) is a dream come true. I'll always be digging deeper into the incredible music that was before my time & hoping that these forums and the site continue to help me along

Cheers! Beer
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 18:47
A big welcome to you !

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 03:18
Yes, welcome and  have a good time around - don't let the dreadful craptcha discourage you !
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:17
Welcome from a fellow drummer from NJ! (Small world) Lots of great stuff to check out here. It's a great place to hank out & talk prog. Are you still drumming & do you play out in the area at all?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:40
Welcome; hope your interactions with the community are stimulating, useful and pleasurable. The discussions generally are not as vibrant as they once were (Captcha etc.), but there are still plenty of pleasant and knowledgeable people around.

I love music by Camel, Soft Machine, Caravan, Focus, and Egg as well (all very important to my journey). I have a drummer friend who was also very drawn to Peart, but when he studied at UCLA's school of music he moved more into jazz drumming. I'm not a drummer, but I'd love to hear some of your stuff if you have any recordings which you'd like to share. We have had a number of musicians here, so there's been some chance for collaboration if you are so inclined, though, say, bandhub is I guess better for such things. At least this is a great place to talk about what you like with people who have similar tastes and get great recommendations. People at this site really helped to expand my musical parameters. Enjoy.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:45
hello. I am a keyboarder, but my wife (same-sex marriage) BaldFriede, who is also a member here, is a drummer. our band is called Bald Angels

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Lilywhite Lilith View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilywhite Lilith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 14:31
Small world! I actually just started out playing the drums but I mostly play guitar now. Have only played some local acoustic gigs around the northern NJ area but not for a while & have been recently looking for some local musicians to jam around with- not sure if this is the place to collab but worth a shot Cool thanks for the warm welcome!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 14:38
Welcome! I am originally bass player, but played quite much guitar & drums too. And listened over 30 years prog.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilywhite Lilith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 14:42
Thanks Logan !

Glad to hear we're around the same in musical taste. Any recommendations you have in the symphonic, eclectic, or Canterbury scene would be very much welcomed & appreciated! Really nothing from this era has yet to disappoint me. Just discovered Harmonium's Les Cinq Saisons (even though I can't understand a word of French) and love it.

I do have a few original guitar pieces recorded that I'd love to share and I definitely welcome any feedback or collaborations. Just need to figure out how to upload... still fumbling my way around on here Beer
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 15:15
Welcome from the UK! There is SO much excellent music from all around the world and people from all around the world to recommend it to you! So lean back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 15:45
Originally posted by Lilywhite Lilith Lilywhite Lilith wrote:

Thanks Logan !

Glad to hear we're around the same in musical taste. Any recommendations you have in the symphonic, eclectic, or Canterbury scene would be very much welcomed & appreciated! Really nothing from this era has yet to disappoint me. Just discovered Harmonium's Les Cinq Saisons (even though I can't understand a word of French) and love it.

I do have a few original guitar pieces recorded that I'd love to share and I definitely welcome any feedback or collaborations. Just need to figure out how to upload... still fumbling my way around on here Beer

Nice, love the guitar (and drums), wish I could play better. I moved into weirder avenues, but I still love that music and am mellowing out. I went from Symph to Canterbury, to Zeuhl, to Prog Folk and Progressive Electronic to RIO/Avant to Krautrock (lots of very cool guitar music in rautrock)... or something like that. Love music in most of the categories here.

In Canterbury, Khan's Space Shanty is I think awesome, love Gong's You, worth trying big names such as Hatfield and the North and National Health if you don't know them, and I guess you know Caravan already, and I highly recommend trying the Italian band Picchio dal Pozzo (I adore the self-titled). Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom is a personal fave, but that taste takes some acquiring for many. I like most everything in that category. In eclectic Symph, I love the French bands: Arachnoid, Clearlight Carpe Diem and Ange. Harmonium is great as are other Quebecois bands such as Maneige and Sloche. Bubu's Anbalelas is, I find one of the most stunning albums in the Eclectic Prog category (a particular favourite of mine in that category is Jean-Claude Vannier's L'enfant assassin des mouches, and Bjorn-J:Son Lindh's Fran Storsad Till Grodspad).

Even with random jerks of a rod, at least In the classic era, it's hard not to hit great stuff in categories of music that you like, and then find great stuff in categories that you don't yet know that you like.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 16:09
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

hello. I am a keyboarder, but my wife (same-sex marriage) BaldFriede, who is also a member here, is a drummer. our band is called Bald Angels

who sings? LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 16:15
Originally posted by Lilywhite Lilith Lilywhite Lilith wrote:

Hi all! 

New member here and first time post. Have found a ton of great recommendations & reviews on the site and have been thinking of joining for quite some time- finally pulling the trigger! I'm in my 20s and virtually nobody I know is into prog. Needless to say, there is a ton I would love to discuss but nobody to discuss with who shares the same love I do for this great music. 

Grew up playing the drums and was naturally drawn to Neil Peart's style. Went to my first Rush show in High School and have never looked back from there. My dad was into bands like Genesis, ELP, & Yes in the 70s and gets full credit for introducing me to this world. Well my friends from there it has been a long journey into the world of progressive rock and discovering bands like Camel, Soft Machine, Caravan, Focus, Egg (could go on forever) is a dream come true. I'll always be digging deeper into the incredible music that was before my time & hoping that these forums and the site continue to help me along

Cheers! *emotici-Captcha snip*

20's? Good god man, I am still fairly young and still get office women giving me cat calls as I walk down the street thanks to my greek statue body.. killer ass.. and drop dead legs.

but I have a scar from a gunshot wound older than that... awesome.

Oh yeah.. welcome to the site.  Don't overlook all the current stuff and modern prog being made today. Some really great stuff, in fact a lot puts a lot of those classic bands to shame.  There is a lot of nostalgia that goes on regarding some older groups that masks that ..well.. some really ain't that good haha.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 16:39
Welcome to Prog Archices :)
I reccomend Arzachel and Gnidrolog, great fun bands.

Edited by Icarium - July 13 2018 at 16:43
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilywhite Lilith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 18:14
Big fan of Khan, Gong, Hatfield & the North, and National Health. Picchio dal Pozzo is news to me and so far the eponymous album is hitting the spot Thumbs Up 

Since I'm digging the French scene, Arachnoid, Clearlight Carpe Diem and Ange will have to be next...

Joining the forums here are proving to be an incredible move, thanks so far all- cheers Beer
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 18:34
don't overlook one of my top modern albums by a French group Maldoror, L'Arbre-Cimetière, whose got the coveted Mick vote as 2004 album of the year...

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilywhite Lilith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 18:38
Thanks man- have not wandered into the modern prog scene but will make an attempt

thanks for the welcome !
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 18:42
awesome.  I can completely dig tripping out on the classics. It is sort of a foundational basis, but don't buy the sh*t that prog died when Genesis finally quit wasting their talents on 2nd rate prog and became 1st rate pop musicains...or worse..  prog was better back in the day.  

For various reasons Prog came back on hard and heavy over the last 20 years as a vibrant and fertile scene and due to the internet technology and all that jazz the wealth and variety, not to mention shear creativity to be found in the modern scene does not rival the classic stuff..  oh no...it smokes the classic scene IMHO.

Edited by micky - July 13 2018 at 18:43
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilywhite Lilith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 18:53
Interesting take and I agree there' a ton of amazing modern day bands kicking. To name a few (more jam band category but some progressive characteristics), Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, Khruangbin, & Tauk are a few great modern touring artists that are worth checking out. 

Don't have much room for opinion on the topic considering I'm still at the tip of the iceberg of all of the 70s era prog and compared to most on the site, consider myself a novice. Not to say I'm not interested in the new age stuff, rather I'm on a roll right now with the original scene and can't seem to place that on hold until I start coming up dry LOL
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 21:49

Hello, I am the drummer of the Bald Angels. I also provide the lead vocals; my wife Jean sings some harmony vocals. Welcome to the site!

We are currently planning a big project, a quadruple CD. The working title is “The Gaia Cycle”. The name of the band will be changed to “Daughters of Gaia” for this project.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 13 2018 at 21:50

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply