Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubblemath

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubblemath
    Posted: July 22 2018 at 06:56
I am simply astounded by this beautiful and chaotic modern prog band. If there was a definition of modern prog it should include bubblemath. One of the last really genius bands. Very little known for my feeling (relative to what they do to me). Have their new one since christmas and it definitely is a grower... the parts that at first sounded like harshly put together are beginning to flow perfectly. They really define what prog is about and definitely took a valuable lesson from the zappa. Just listen how many brilliant variations they do on one theme in Routine Maintenance and how masterfully the moods flow to different climaxes. Variations On A Theme... Thats really how I would describe the new album... brilliant and the part I always liked most about prog.

https://bubblemath.bandcamp.com/album/edit-peptide

Listen on bandcamp and/or order the album its worth the price and fantastically mixed.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 07:12
yeah we saw them at Progday last year.  A favorite of my better half and a really neat group to check out.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 11:12
They put Edit Peptide on Spotify recently!
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 11:16

Theyre all on Youtube now too. Those two I found especially essential. They have really become one of my favourites over the past few years. And I think they deserve more attention as their distinct and naive sound is very special and has a very talented spirit.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 11:58
I also recently got into this band, and I love their GG meets Zappa approach. They've influenced my writing a bit recently.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 12:03
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah we saw them at Progday last year.  A favorite of my better half and a really neat group to check out.

Great band, album is excellent and they were a lot of fun at ProgDay
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 12:20
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I was with you guys of course, but they left me a little cold. I do have their first 2 CDs, and was just thinking recently I shoukd give them a fresh listen. They “check all the right boxes”, but something just didn’t add up for me. Right. I’m playing them next. Might be a bit of a shock after the Easybeats, but I like contrasts.

Edit: ooh! Unintended pun. Bubblemath ? “Add up”? I’m proud of that.

Edited by HolyMoly - September 01 2020 at 12:32
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 12:55
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I was with you guys of course, but they left me a little cold. I do have their first 2 CDs, and was just thinking recently I shoukd give them a fresh listen. They “check all the right boxes”, but something just didn’t add up for me. Right. I’m playing them next. Might be a bit of a shock after the Easybeats, but I like contrasts.

LOL

I remember being somewhat disappointed too, but some time later I learned from one of the band members that they had been plagued by all sorts of technical issues. That's a real pity, though I hope to be able to see them again in the future.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 13:44
Their last album Edit Peptide has to be one of the best albums of the decade. The music they write is killer...but not for everyone. Some say "it's busy". Busy = a lot of counterpoint and syncopation. You need a good attention span to appreciate them. The lyrics are witty and entertaining. The musicianship is jaw dropping.

I understand that they all have day jobs, so the band is a side project when they can fit it in. Hence, only two albums in twenty years.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - September 01 2020 at 14:13
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 20:18
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

LOL

I remember being somewhat disappointed too, but some time later I learned from one of the band members that they had been plagued by all sorts of technical issues. That's a real pity, though I hope to be able to see them again in the future.
i did notice that. Not the technical issues, but the band’s annoyance about them. I think because I picked that up from them it gave me a bad feeling about the show.
As promised, I did listen to their 1st CD again today, and definitely enjoyed it. Somewhere in the Mr. Bungle/Cardiacs universe, except even more complex. Not the kind of thing I can listen to every day, but very engaging on this day.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 02:31
Edit Peptide is pretty good, however they are one of these bands that I suspect of doing complexity for complexity's sake occasionally. "We do it because we can" - not always because it makes musical sense...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 05:47
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Edit Peptide is pretty good, however they are one of these bands that I suspect of doing complexity for complexity's sake occasionally. "We do it because we can" - not always because it makes musical sense...
Nothing wrong with that. Music has no rules and doesn't need to make sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply