Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Films with Religious or Spiritual Themes or Refs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Films with Religious or Spiritual Themes or Refs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Choose any favourites and list your own
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.35%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
20 [29.41%]
13 [19.12%]
5 [7.35%]
1 [1.47%]
2 [2.94%]
5 [7.35%]
2 [2.94%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2022 at 07:16
Haven't seen most of these, but from what I have seen I choose The Exorcist. 

This is a great film that has not been mentioned. And the ending has a superb twist with a popular musician.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2022 at 17:25
how about "Barbarella"? I actually think it would be the perfect movie to pair with "Zardoz"

Edited by BaldJean - July 23 2022 at 17:31

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
gottenllfq View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gottenllfq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 00:29
Thank you, I'll see some of these films this weekend. Finding good religious movies is difficult, so I'm fortunate to find your post.
Movies are my passion, and I like to see them and then write a review on different sites and forums. It's like a hobby; I watch interesting films and develop my writing skills afterwards. We often see movies in our portland oregon churches, but usually, it's not the kind of cinematography I like. Most of all, I like stories about non-religious people who found God and could put their life together. Such a plot reminds me of my own story, and it's always special to me.

Edited by gottenllfq - November 20 2022 at 01:20
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2023 at 10:29
The Wicker Man (original). I remember being pole axed by the ending as a young teenager when I first watched it. Certainly stuck with me.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2023 at 11:00
The final scene of The Wicker Man still haunts me to this day!
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2023 at 11:05
Vote for all Monty Pythons, Wicker Man, Wings of Desire, Holy Mountain and the Ninth Gate. 

There's quite a few titles I haven't seen or don't remember very well. 
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2023 at 18:53
A little late to this conversation but I'd like to mention Darren Aronofsky.

Just about all of his films have a religious theme or undertone. my particular favourite being "The Fountain".

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2023 at 20:22
Going back through the list once more, I will say both The Mission and The Black Robe are both remarkable movies.  I mentioned Man For All Seasons previously, and I would also third the recommendation for the film version of The Name of the Rose. It's one of those noble efforts that ulitmately cannot succeed because the book is so dense with historical minutiae and allusions that a film could never do it justice. Nevertheless a worthy watch with some splendid acting (Ron Perlman as the monk Salvatore absolutely nails the character in the book).
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2023 at 06:38
Too many great ones here to vote. 

Will: With multiple options included in each vote, perhaps you might have done two or three polls.

Others I'd add to the list (though you've done an amazing job, Will, and mine might be stretching the "religious" or "spiritual" theme):
Host
Sacrifice
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Jacob's Ladder
The Sixth Sense
Bruce Almighty
The Nativity Story
The Passion of Christ
Spirited Away
Lucy
Cloud Atlas
Hereafter
Oh! God!
Mr. Nobody
The Seventh Seal

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2023 at 06:40
I voted for The Wicker Man.

A very disturbing film. Unhappy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2023 at 06:41
Ennio Morricone - The Mission

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 24 2023 at 06:43
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 07:03
Is "The Gospel According to St. Matthew" the Pasolini's one?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 08:55
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Is "The Gospel According to St. Matthew" the Pasolini's one?

Hi,

I wanted to mention this one, but I left it behind, as I could not exactly make out my thoughts about the film. I think there is a side of it that is a blatant attack on the Roman edition of everything, and how the folks on the street really see it and actually interpret it, rather than believe what they are told, which is worse than a childish story and was written way later by folks that were obviously trying to create some kind of ideal that was related to how Summerian religions looked at deity ... NOT HUMAN ... which was a theme that had been visible as well through the Greek stories, that were all b*****dized into concepts that are still a problem today, ridiculous to say the least ... and our schools keep on "teaching" the stuff instead of putting on the proper human thought at work. The Greek "chorus" was the perfect example of a system trying to change the mores of the time and place into some kind of social control and direction. It bothers me, that in theater, this is revered, instead of ridiculed.

A great example is how Medea's story is rewritten to make her look like a witch and a malevolent person ... nothing like hating women and consider them evil! It just gets old!

Sadly, PPP is not exactly clear and is certainly confused on how to portray women in both the Decameron and the Canterbury Tales, many times not making them honest. So, in my book, his idealism was as confusing as his ideas in "Empirismo Eretico" ... which, while an interesting study in the history of the Italian language, in the end, makes it a mess of confusion and ideologies, though it is possibly the best book on that particular history! But the linguistic studies can not make any dent on the religious material any more than it can on the political and social norms! Thus, for me, his "religious" themes are just an idea, and more than likely an intentional attack against the social orders in relation to religion. 

This, lowers the film for my tastes. Sadly enough. A great idea ... kinda lost in its own illusion. Monty Python might have done this a lot better!

Edited by moshkito - December 06 2023 at 08:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123