Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes: Close To The Edge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzcomputer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 13:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Ok, Close to the Edge. Deserving of the accolades or overrated? And what about that great cover?

For me it's the greatest prog album ever, but tell me people, what about the Yessongs versions of the three tracks ? Do you like them as much as the originals ? More ? Less ?
Ambient Jazz Music : http://jazzcomputer.org/
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 18:11
Personally, I prefer the studio versions of the songs from CTTE and the live versions of the rest of the tracks from Yessongs. And You And I in particular is quite rough compared to the album because of the omission of acoustic guitars. I feel like the production on the album is so good that the added energy from the live performance (which does have its own appeal) doesn't really bring it to the same level.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 00:37
I do prefer the studio versions of the album, specially compared to Yessongs. In the end, CttE has one of the very best line-ups I could hope for on a band, while on Yessongs, yeah, Alan White, as great as he is, just isn't Bruford. However, there are indeed live versions of those songs that I like at least as much elsewhere: title track and And You And I on Symphonic Live are just gorgeous, and Siberian Khatru on Keys to Ascension.
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 21:12
Close To the Edge Is the Best Yes Album Cover (Inner Cover Wink). It's sad the inner cover isn't on the CD

Dragged down by the stone
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 20:38
While there is no doubt that each song on the album is of high quality with some incredible instrumentation and great melody, I don't find this to be the ultimate prog album by any means, simply because while I do see so much of what makes this album great, I also find it to feel almost clinical at times, feeling as if it's lacking emotion, which while it doesn't bother me too much in this case, is still enough to stop me considering this to be the greatest album ever made.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 22:32
If it's over rated that only applies to prog circles. I don't feel the album is being bought much by anyone these days not already into prog. The album only sold one million copies in the US(platinum) which is nothing compared to Dark Side of the Moon. Anyway, I feel it deserves all the praise and accolades it gets. Maybe not my personal favorite Yes album but it is possibly the best place to start for a newbie who wants to explore prog.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 05 2018 at 22:36
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 00:12
All prog albums are over rated (apart from the ones that aren't)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123