Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which prog rock tracks are far too short?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 10:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think it would have been great if the Moody Blues had stretched out on some of their songs back in the day.

Their main focus was the songwriting not compositions so it wouldn't have made sense for them to "stretch them out" in the typical prog way imo. That being said there is a nice long flute solo on "legend of a mind" but I think that's about it for them. That might be the closest they ever came to "real prog" and yet it still precedes "the red faced album" by a full year. 

Love 'In Search of....'.....one of my favorites by them....'songs' or not I think they could have easily done some longer KC type tracks similar to last track on that 'red faced album'.
There's that nice Have You Heard and Voyage sequence at the end of  Threshold.... that for me is very proggy....I think that could have been a template if they had wished for other longer prog type tracks.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 11:19

Yes - A venture 

This one wins the prize in this category for me. There's actually an outtake that is about two minutes longer but it was never officially released. 

It's been released now.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 12:59
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Yes - A venture 

This one wins the prize in this category for me. There's actually an outtake that is about two minutes longer but it was never officially released. 

It's been released now.

I'm not talking about bonus tracks. I'm talking about official album releases. If you were to buy a new vinyl version of "the Yes album" it would not be on there. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 01 2018 at 13:00
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 13:15
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Five Per Cent for Nothing.. it cut off before Jon, Steve, and Chris could enter and make it a classic...

Totally agree! Clap

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 13:44

I think it would have been great if the Moody Blues had stretched out on some of their songs back in the day.

Their main focus was the songwriting not compositions so it wouldn't have made sense for them to "stretch them out" in the typical prog way imo. That being said there is a nice long flute solo on "legend of a mind" but I think that's about it for them. That might be the closest they ever came to "real prog" and yet it still precedes "the red faced album" by a full year. 

Love 'In Search of....'.....one of my favorites by them....'songs' or not I think they could have easily done some longer KC type tracks similar to last track on that 'red faced album'.
There's that nice Have You Heard and Voyage sequence at the end of  Threshold.... that for me is very proggy....I think that could have been a template if they had wished for other longer prog type tracks.

Well, the Moodies never really developed into a full blown prog band imo. They were a prime example of a proto prog band though. I think because they had the prog instrumentation people think of them as prog and yeah they did come close at times but that's about it. It's even debatable if DOFP was ever a true prog album. I think it was at least as much as "Pepper" but that's about it. I wish a lot of bands did longer tracks. Why not wish punk bands did longer tracks too though while we're at it? Or pop in general. Why not just have everyone do at least two side long tracks. Maybe it should be in their contract. Maybe the next Brittany Spears album will be a 20 minute epic with mellotron. :D So again, not everyone wanted to or should do longer tracks or epics as much as we might want them to. They did what they wanted to and in the case of the Moodies what they were good at. Longer isn't necessarily  better anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123