Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clannad vs Fairport Convention Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 14:57
Yeah...the argument continues on what is proggy and what ain't.
I see both bands as 'folk rock'  with prog elements mixed in.....so again I fail to see why Pentangle is on the PA list  as well as some others and Fairport isn't. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 00:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I see both bands as 'folk rock'  with prog elements mixed in.....so again I fail to see why Pentangle is on the PA list  as well as some others and Fairport isn't. 

Well stated; my thoughts entirely!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 02:20

as some (not just me) said, Pentanle's brilliant arrangements and time sigs and their (then-)revolutionary mix of jazz, blues and folk made them "Rock". A bit like Oregon, if the JR/F team hadn't (rightly) snatched it away from us. In other words (and IMHO), Pentangle was boxing in a superior category than Fairpost was.
Pentangle was a supergroup, with four very experimented musicians (only McShee wasc a relative unknown) in 68, and the apparent mainstreamness (on the surface) is precisely what made them great, if not fantastic, while Fairport seemed like electric folker practicing in their basement or garage. Again, not to demean Fairport, coz I liked them.
BTW, I recently saw a rare film of Glastonbury Fayre 72 (second or third edition, I believe) and Fairport's 15 minutes more or less resumed them as a loud stomping ground electric folk band (though the public loved them to bits) much like Lindisfarne was, but they appeared not very proggy, next to Traffic, Family and AB's Kingdom Come.

Dr, you're welcome to participate on the Genre team thread discussion that Ken & I (and hopefully Clem) are having if you're really feeling strong about Fairport's promotion to PF (I'm not impermeable to the subject).Hug

Edited by Sean Trane - October 06 2018 at 03:11
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 05:15
indeed Doc...  join/participate with the genre teams...  there is a real education to be had there.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:29
I would have thought that at very least, Babbacombe Lee would have made that step over from more traditional folk-rock into more prog territory- a concept piece running over both sides of an lp with recurring themes etc and Dave Swarbricks more adventurous fiddle playing and composing to the fore. Also the guitar and composition elements of Richard Thompson's (who is someone who has NEVER sat on his laurels in terms of the scope of the music he makes) involvement over the years must count for something?  I do agree that Pentangle's web of influences and the background of the musicians is more dense and varied and that makes for something new rather than modern reinterpretations of traditional songs and west-coast lite of  some early Fairport material.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:32
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

as some (not just me) said, Pentanle's brilliant arrangements and time sigs and their (then-)revolutionary mix of jazz, blues and folk made them "Rock". A bit like Oregon, if the JR/F team hadn't (rightly) snatched it away from us. In other words (and IMHO), Pentangle was boxing in a superior category than Fairpost was.
Pentangle was a supergroup, with four very experimented musicians (only McShee wasc a relative unknown) in 68, and the apparent mainstreamness (on the surface) is precisely what made them great, if not fantastic, while Fairport seemed like electric folker practicing in their basement or garage. Again, not to demean Fairport, coz I liked them.
BTW, I recently saw a rare film of Glastonbury Fayre 72 (second or third edition, I believe) and Fairport's 15 minutes more or less resumed them as a loud stomping ground electric folk band (though the public loved them to bits) much like Lindisfarne was, but they appeared not very proggy, next to Traffic, Family and AB's Kingdom Come.

Dr, you're welcome to participate on the Genre team thread discussion that Ken & I (and hopefully Clem) are having if you're really feeling strong about Fairport's promotion to PF (I'm not impermeable to the subject).Hug

Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 19:09
Clannad has been a MAJOR find for me! I've recently meditated to Magical Ring and Banba, both were ridiculously good. I got so deep during "I Will Find You." 

They are now my go to band and probably will be for the foreseeable future. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 09:59
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Clannad has been a MAJOR find for me! I've recently meditated to Magical Ring and Banba, both were ridiculously good. I got so deep during "I Will Find You." 

try Fuaim too, and even Cran Ull

Also Dulaman, though I doubt you will meditate to it.  As Clannad goes it's somewhat more insistent

Edited by kenethlevine - October 08 2018 at 10:00
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 19:27
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

try Fuaim too, and even Cran Ull

Also Dulaman, though I doubt you will meditate to it.  As Clannad goes it's somewhat more insistent

Just meditated to Fuaim, you were right it was really good. Started out like it wasn't going to be, but a few tracks in and.. wow. 

I'll have to listen to those other two sometime soon now. Thanks for the suggestions! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123