Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: Meddle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 09:45
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I LOVE humour in music. I love Sparks, Steely Dan, Oingo Boingo, Jane's Addiction among others. Compared to those, Seamus is well just a joke that's not very interesting beyond its novelty value. More power to those who can't stop laughing after it but yeah it doesn't do any of that for me. Nothing about prog having to be dead serious or anything.
 No one's actually laughing I think. Its not funny in a laugh out loud-way. I like dogs and can relate to Seamus the blues-howler. To me its just a lighthearted little ditty that with its 2.15 never overstays its welcome. 

Oh, I don't mind it either.  I just don't find it memorable in any way, at least not after I got over the idea of a dog singing. It's not like Meddle would have been any less of an album without either Seamus or San Tropez.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 11:37
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Let's be real. Aside from what came from Zappa, most humorous prog songs are just album filler.

Are you Ready, Eddie???? QuestionWink 
I'm not sure if someone with all of your names should talk Mr. Sean Chantraine Hughes Train. Tongue
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 13:12
I'm not a big fan of 'humor' in prog unless it's clever like Hatfield's sly lyrics.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 13:18

I LOVE humour in music. I love Sparks, Steely Dan, Oingo Boingo, Jane's Addiction among others. Compared to those, Seamus is well just a joke that's not very interesting beyond its novelty value. More power to those who can't stop laughing after it but yeah it doesn't do any of that for me. Nothing about prog having to be dead serious or anything.
 No one's actually laughing I think. Its not funny in a laugh out loud-way. I like dogs and can relate to Seamus the blues-howler. To me its just a lighthearted little ditty that with its 2.15 never overstays its welcome. 

Oh, I don't mind it either.  I just don't find it memorable in any way, at least not after I got over the idea of a dog singing. It's not like Meddle would have been any less of an album without either Seamus or San Tropez.
We disagree but that's ok. I really truly love San Tropez and think its perfect in its relaxed and jazzy, west coast kind of way. One thing is for certain: It would be more of a dead serious and less loose and playful album without the largely-unpopular-on-PA end of side 1 - and I personally prefer the further out and unpredictable Floyd of 67-72 than their "classic rock era" 73... 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 21:18

TBH, if I find Echoes and Days perfect, I find half of the A-side weak... love the first part, but let's face it the end of Fearless (with the football chants) and Tropez and Seamus are simply of no interest >> it's kind of a throwback to the airy-fairyness of the Syd Barrett days.

I'd haver much preferred Axe, Embryo and/or a longer version of Cymbalene (even bumping-off Pillow wouldn't hurt me), then that would've made it a top two Floyd album.  

Let's be real. Aside from what came from Zappa, most humorous prog songs are just album filler.

I actually do like "Are you Ready, Eddie", and don't really see what everybody's got against it. I do find it amusing to have a rock n' roll song without guitars at all. However, about Frank Zappa, what I have heard from his humorous stuff is one of the main things that won't let me get into his music. For me, if something is inteded to be humorous or funny, I expect it to make me laugh... and absolutley no humorous song makes me laugh, they usually just ruin the albums...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 21:26
^^ Ok but as Saperlipopette put it, laugh out loud humour is only one type of humour.  There's wit for instance which is not so obvious.  I think you have to generally read the lyrics to get humour in music.  From what I remember, Zappa's lyrics can be very funny alright.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 21:29

We disagree but that's ok. I really truly love San Tropez and think its perfect in its relaxed and jazzy, west coast kind of way. One thing is for certain: It would be more of a dead serious and less loose and playful album without the largely-unpopular-on-PA end of side 1 - and I personally prefer the further out and unpredictable Floyd of 67-72 than their "classic rock era" 73... 

I get that.  I love both the Floyds though I do prefer the classic rock version. That said, it's ultimately an aesthetic preference rather than the lyrical context.  The aesthetic they create on Pillow of Windows and Echoes is so beautiful that I don't want it to be disturbed.  To me, even Fearless feels kind of meh after Pillow and Echoes wash over me. But yeah, at this stage, they were still experimenting and finding their sound and Waters kind of agrees with you when he says Dark Side was basically the end of the band because they had achieved everything they had set out for with that album.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 04:03
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

TBH, if I find Echoes and Days perfect, I find half of the A-side weak... love the first part, but let's face it the end of Fearless (with the football chants) and Tropez and Seamus are simply of no interest >> it's kind of a throwback to the airy-fairyness of the Syd Barrett days.

I'd haver much preferred Axe, Embryo and/or a longer version of Cymbalene (even bumping-off Pillow wouldn't hurt me), then that would've made it a top two Floyd album.  

I actually do like "Are you Ready, Eddie", and don't really see what everybody's got against it. I do find it amusing to have a rock n' roll song without guitars at all. However, about Frank Zappa, what I have heard from his humorous stuff is one of the main things that won't let me get into his music. For me, if something is inteded to be humorous or funny, I expect it to make me laugh... and absolutley no humorous song makes me laugh, they usually just ruin the albums...

I also like ARRE, but it's out of place (as is IMHO, Jeremy Bender, but I'm definitely not a fan of Emo's ragtime piano pieces, anyways) ) on Tarkus, just like Seamus and ST (the latter which I find fun) are in Meddle... They kind of ruin the whole album effect and make it difficult for repeated listen

As for Zappa's humour, I'm defintely not a fan of  pre-Hot Rats FZ&MOI  stuff, even though it is his late-70's scatological smut that did get me acquaited of his world.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 04:17

I get that.  I love both the Floyds though I do prefer the classic rock version. That said, it's ultimately an aesthetic preference rather than the lyrical context.  The aesthetic they create on Pillow of Windows and Echoes is so beautiful that I don't want it to be disturbed.  To me, even Fearless feels kind of meh after Pillow and Echoes wash over me. But yeah, at this stage, they were still experimenting and finding their sound and Waters kind of agrees with you when he says Dark Side was basically the end of the band because they had achieved everything they had set out for with that album.
I think, for me at least, it comes down to the artist's intentions. Zappa was trying to make social statements so that even if his "humorous songs" strike out, I can tolerate them. It's the blatant filler songs by artists that I find hard to take but there is division over what songs are filler or not. Some ELP fans will claim that Benny The Bouncer is a bonifide "high quality" song while I hold that it's a place setter on a side of vinyl, so this opens up another can of worms I'm afraid. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123