Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is your favorite under-appreciated guitarist?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is your favorite under-appreciated guitarist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 02:10
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Finland: Jukka Tolonen (Tasavallan Presidentti)
Sure he´s underrated and could be in the group of Clapton, Beck, McLaughlin if lived in UK or US, really big fave of mine too!
A great player with some really superb solo albums as well as what he did with TP. Actually a favourite of mine is the solo acoustic album he did, Mountain Stream - such energy, lyricism and flow!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 07:27

Sure he´s underrated and could be in the group of Clapton, Beck, McLaughlin if lived in UK or US, really big fave of mine too!
A great player with some really superb solo albums as well as what he did with TP. Actually a favourite of mine is the solo acoustic album he did, Mountain Stream - such energy, lyricism and flow!

Hi.

I know this sounds cynical but here goes ... folks listening to Jethro Tull and Genesis 100 times, before they will listen to Jukka Tolonen at least 2 times and then say that it is not as good ... and me betting that if they heard Jukka 10 times, they would appreciate things a lot more.

It's the same thing for so many things listed here, it is sad all around!

Edited by moshkito - May 02 2020 at 19:40
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 01:11
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Anderson is great on bass as well (Stormwatch - esp. Dark Ages). Surprising he didn’t have a gold flute coz most everything he touched (at least in the 70’s) was gold.

Sorry Tom, I disagree, Anderson's bass on Stormwatch was not a patch on John Glascock's; extremely naive playing by Anderson IMHO. Amazing how Anderson as producer brought the bass so much out of to the front of the mix on the tracks he played on, and pushed Glascock's impeccable playing on Orion, Flying Dutchman and Elegy to the back of the mix. Barriemore Barlow actually commented on this in a later interview.

I thought he did an admirable job - considering it’s not his primary instrument. And indeed, Glascock was a fantastic bassist, even in Carmen. I maybe exaggerated a bit, but Anderson is still a bit of a genius.

Anderson; a genius he was for sure. However, he wasn't a bass player, but he had no choice at the time due to Glascock's ill health. He did have a choice. however. on whether to bring his bass to front of the mix or not on Stormwatch....and he chose the former.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 00:57
Check out the late, great Glen Campbell....this is just insane!!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 07:35
This guy!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 08:07
^I just watched that. Wow. That's pretty amazing. 40 years ago he would have been featured on the old tv show "real people." Lol. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 16:49
Holdsworth. Many here may know him, but he deserves a spot in the Pantheon of guitarists the world over. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 19:44
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Holdsworth. Many here may know him, but he deserves a spot in the Pantheon of guitarists the world over. 

Hi, 

My thoughts are that compared to the hundreds of listens to the "top 5" fan choices here, Holdsworth does not stand a chance, when many only heard bits and pieces and tuned out ... to me the problem is the listening process ... and too many folks I don't think they are listening, as their comments are so fast and easy, and with not comment as to why ... the main issue in many of these ... it's not all taste ... it's about the artist, and many listeners don't know the difference between fame and artistry!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 20:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^I just watched that. Wow. That's pretty amazing. 40 years ago he would have been featured on the old tv show "real people." Lol. 

Yeah, dude drives too! He lives a seemingly normal rock and roll lifestyle despite his unthinkably noticeable handicap.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 22:26

Haven´t heard that! Have to listen that also, you know it was quite recently I listened first time he´s two first solos, really loved them both, they really aren´t that "guitar hero"-albums as I thought! My brother bought in the eighties he´s "Touch Wood" & "Blue Rain"-albums, he made together with Coste Apetrea (Samla Mamma´s guitarist), really long time when I have listened those also. It has been Tasavallan Presidentti where I have listened Jukka the most. I have had long time "the Hook" from him, but it hasn´t been my biggest faves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789