Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A funny little story I wrote

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyBaldieFille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A funny little story I wrote
    Posted: October 27 2018 at 14:18
It is still a bit early for this, but I thought I'd share this little Christmas story with you which I wrote myself. I hope you like it.

Animal Christmas

There was great excitement among the animals in the forest. Christmas was approaching, and for the first time, yes for the first time the animals had their own Christmas tree.

The inspiration had come from the old little owl Willi who spent his days asleep in the beams of the village church. Just in front of the church stood a big Christmas tree that he inevitably had to spot when he flew out for prey at night. And when he told the other animals about this glittering wonder of the humans in his pompous and somewhat circumstantial manner many an animal felt quite peculiar inside.

Of course it had been the cheeky shrew Anna who shouted out: “Bah, we can do that do”! The animals were immediately all for it when she uttered this. “Yes, let us have a Christmas tree like the humans, and on Christmas Eve there will be a big party” exclaimed Norbert the woodpecker who had an affiliation for all kinds of festivities and who had often left his wife and children alone at home for a hearty sip of dandelion wine, which had earned him the nickname “Boozepecker” among the animals. “A feast for the greater glory of God, arranged by those creatures who really follow His will” remarked Theodore the pious mole while shyly making the sign of the cross. And then there was a great chirping, whistling, cackling, snarling, barking and howling as all the animals tried to make their suggestions at the same time. Only the three bat sisters Miranda, Esmeralda and Violetta were unmoved by this, but then bats see with their ears and so this spectacle of light left them cold.

The animals formed a committee consisting of the roebuck Rudolph, the badger Bruno, the fox Freddy, the hoopoe Conrad and the starling Christopher that was supposed to organize the feast. They chose an old weathered fir tree that stood alone in a clearing as Christmas tree. A truce between the animals was formed for the time before Christmas so that those animals who usually were the prey to the animals that went on the hunt did not have to fear for their lives while the feast was in preparation.

All animals tried to surpass each other in contributing to the Christmas tree. The magpies stole even more shiny and glittering things than usual which the pious mole did not approve of at first, but then he conceded that God's ways were inscrutable and that the end justified the means while again making the sign of the cross. The hamsters and squirrels plundered their buffer stocks to equip the tree with nuts and acorns. Bruno the badger plucked out some silvery strands of hair from his underbelly which could excellently serve as tinsel. The male peacocks and pheasants plucked out some of their brightest feathers as decoration for the tree..

Only Freddy the fox stuck out unpleasantly when he wanted to decorate the tree with the bodies of some mice that had become his prey, a presumption that the surviving mice severely protested against. But he was finally allowed to contribute some down feathers that were the remains of his last feasting on a goose. The protest of the geese was turned down by the committee with the comment that he could have found these feathers anywhere. Since no-one had any doubts where these feathers came from this was a clear concession to the fox. The committee was just too afraid that he might break the truce in his irritation.

The squirrels had the task of hanging up the Christmas ornaments because they could easily move about in the tree and had the most dexterous paws. And the illumination...

Franz the old forester stumbled into the village pub on Christmas Eve and shouted to the barkeeper: “A brandy, and make it a stiff one”! He downed it in one gulp, turned around and told the other guests:

“Well, I have been walking this forest for forty years now, but I never saw anything like this before! I passed by that old weathered fir tree and saw hundreds of animals gathered around it - foxes, deer, wild boars, owls, really all kinds of animals. And in that fir tree - hundreds of glowworms! In the middle of winter! It looked as if the animals were celebrating Christmas! Another stiff one”!

And while the landlord served the forester his brandy and the other guests knowingly tapped their foreheads with their fingers Theodore the mole ended his Christmas speech with the words “Merry Christmas”!

Edited by DorothyBaldieFille - October 27 2018 at 15:54
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 02:55
I think it is too bad that no-one has a look at this. as a mother I am of course biased, but I really think this story of Dorothy is a little gem that definitely deserves to be looked at at least

Edited by BaldJean - October 28 2018 at 16:45

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 15:29
well oh well what do we have here...  I don't make it into the Just for Fun section much.. maybe I should more.  I would have missed this.

that is really heart warming Dorothy...  I enjoyed reading that.  More to the direct point.. as a hard scrabble and jaded individual who lost any sense of innocence long ago, I am really touched by the innocence and sweetness of the story.

though I must admit I nearly sent a good beer spray onto the monitor.. boozepecker... hahahah.. love it... a 100 bucks.. to anyone in the forum who crowns me with that nickname.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 15:53
It's good:  the idea is real, sincere, and even somewhat inspired.   A bit sentimental for me but a good little fairytale a la Dahl or Sendak.

BTW, try posting things like this in General Discussions, as Just for Fun posts don't appear in the 'Latest Forum Posts' list at the bottom of the main page and therefore don't get noticed nearly as readily.

Edited by Atavachron - October 28 2018 at 15:58
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
DorothyBaldieFille View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyBaldieFille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 16:33
Thank you. I will try my luck in general discussions then.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 16:56
ahhh..  perhaps you nailed it better than I could David.  Sentimentality..  yeah that might have been what I was trying to put my finger on why I enjoyed Dorothy's story as I did.   It is particular weakness of mine but a good one unlike the other distinct weaknesses I have for such unhealthy things... like booze, nicotine and redheads haha..  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply