Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit: A change of heart??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Poll Question: Have you changed your mind either way?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [45.95%]
18 [48.65%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 06:23
Scottish independence and them rejoining the EU is not going to happen. I've heard Nicola Sturgeon trying to explain how it would happen, but when pressed couldn't explain how she could achieve this with no sovereign currency, and many of Scotlands main trading assets (fishing/oil etc) were actually not Scottish, they're British.

Independence was only viable when the UK was part of the EU, and the Scots didn't want it then. The only reason the SNP wiped the floor with Labour in 2015, was not because of renewed interest in independence, but dissatisfaction with the way the Labour party were going. It was - I suspect - in many cases a protest vote.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 07:29
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Factoid.

Tony Blair is the only Labour PM to have been born in the last 100 years.

God help us. 

Gordon Brown must be flippin' old then.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 14:42

Congratulations my ar$e.

I live in one of the highest points of the UK. From my bedroom window, I can see over thirty miles. 

There wasn't one firework to celebrate. Not one. 

It would not surprise me if time will give us better standards to measure against than the absence of fireworks from the folks downhill. No offence intended, I wish ye British the best now that you have escaped from the worst. May Britain become Great again and prosper not less than Iceland, Switzerland and Norway .

Edited by someone_else - February 03 2020 at 14:44
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 04:19
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

TBH, ever since the advanced election and BoJo's victory, I've got no qualms anymore about the issue.

Let's hope Scotland and North Ireland can escape this disaster soon enough (I doubt Wales will escape the English stranglehold) 
Theoretically it could be simpler for NI, since all they would have to do is reunite wityh the real Ireland.
Not sure whether Westminster will give the Scots a second independance referendum, after conning them, by hodling the Brexit one after it.

I don't know exactly what will happen, but I'm not convinced by the claim that Brexit means the inevitable break up of the UK.

Unionists in Northern Ireland are no more inclined towards the idea of a united Ireland than they were before.  Their whole issue with the Theresa may deal was that it pushed NI closer to the Republic and they didn't want that.

And, whilst Brexit increases the case for Scottish independence politically, it makes it a much worse proposition economically.

Bearing in mind that 80% of Scotland's trade is with the rest of the UK, it's impossible to believe that the creation of a hard border between Scotland and their main market will improve Scotland's economic position.

The Scots can't have it both ways on this one.

If they're saying that Brexit is bad because trade barriers between the UK are the EU are economically damaging, then that must also be the case for trade barriers between Scotland and the rest of the UK.

Not so sure about that, since most of the Scottish oil, wool & meat, liquors and fisheries products would find easily 100% trade share with the rest of the EU, and they wouldn't care about having business rartchedly small market just south of their border.

As for the NI, are the unionists still the population majority?Confused in other words, do the republicans/catholics even have voting rights, or did Westminster make sure that they would never have their way? TongueWink
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 09:05
Ah yes, forgot about Gordon Brown, ahemmmmm. 

And true, fireworks aren't a good barometer. Neither are the opinions of people who aren't actually here. ;-)

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 17:29
I would have voted stay if I lived in the UK but I'm an Irish-Swedish lass in Sweden.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 01:27
Thanks, in part, to Covid-19 the crazy train called Brexit is now hurtling out of control.  I have come to this discussion rather late but I voted remain, for reasons too numerous to mention.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:44

And true, fireworks aren't a good barometer. Neither are the opinions of people who aren't actually here. ;-)

Hi,

My biggest concerns are that it was a hassle buying stuff from/in England, as Amazon in the UK will not process a very large numbers of Visa/MC cards at all ... and the ability to purchase something in there is a problem, and I seriously doubt that leaving the EU is going to help if the prices are going to rise ... which is what the rich in that country want ... more money from the outside ... a very old trick that has been used for hundreds of years to keep the royals in power and the rich in control, and you foot and pay for the bill.

I can not buy, for example, any of the stuff off the BBC ... and they are not intelligent enough (same folks that did not like the Beatles and Rolling Stones 56 years ago - the worst business decisions EVER), to realize that they can sell over there and that there are people that like it and want it. 

No matter ... they already got their tea and crumpets and everyone is paying for them. 

Opinions are not the answer, I agree, but it does not mean any of them is necessarily wrong ... I might as well not bother even saying anything, or reviewing your work .... besides the fact that you could easily send me information for a listen ... I have never disliked your work, even though it's possibly a bit less of the kind I like that seems to have a more "classical" outlook, while yours is more modern ... but you're not gonna send me anything anyway ... just like the BBC and Amazon are not interested in fixing their issue and stop turning away customers!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 21:15

Let the corruption of the 'centrist' technocrat leadership never be forgotten.  They must atone, they must change.  Running fear campaigns against the far right and attempting to evoke nostalgia for 'sensible' times is not going to help.  No, those times were not sensible and many bad decisions were made, which have led to the present day situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314