Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I chose vinyl because...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 10:49
I'm a proud owner of two vinyls (Chicago II and Harmonium en Concert) and I never play them.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 11:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well I think it is all good too, I listen to all forms of media. Records, CD, digital hi rez, R2R tape and even cassette, so I cover all bases of media.
What happens is all the digital diehard lovers always krapp on a thread someone started about vinyl.....Start your own digital only thread, I promise you very few if any analog folks will care enough to participate in one of those.
Remember that the CD is a truncated (to save space) version of the original recording which today are all mastered in 24bit audio, something the CD cannot handle, this is plain fact. Any information below 20Hz and above about 21KHz is cut off on the CD, again plain fact.
Records can handle frequency well above 30KHz and below 20Hz, you may never "hear" these sounds but for sure your body and mind can sense they exist which only adds to the whole music listening experience. 
New record lacquers are cut using the hi-rez 24bit master file, the CD is pressed from 16bit redbook files, so already a lower quality sound master.

Just understand all this before making grandiose claims, then chose your media and enjoy the music!

When I release an album on vinyl, I'm going to put a bunch of random nonsense in the ultrasonic range, randomly apply lowpass filters to give it the same bandwidth as a CD, etc. I'd love to see if anybody could actually tell the difference.

I can understand keeping infrasound frequencies - especially at higher levels you can clearly feel those vibrations.

There's obviously no physical restrictions from CDs having higher sample rates to allow for higher frequencies (aside from compatibility issues), but I feel like there must be some reason why very few people are pushing to bump that up, maybe have 96KHz DVD audio be the new standard and ditch CDs - because if high frequencies were the problem, that would be the death of vinyl, right?

It's great that you have an emotional connection with listening to vinyl... but I don't think you need to bring in science to justify that.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 12:38
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Don't miss the skips and scratches from some of my favourite vinyl, although whenever I hear Can't Get Enough of Your Love from Bad Company's Straight Shooter - I still remember and expect them still - so engrained are those audio experiences. I suppose it's all relative!

Not that engrained - Can't Get Enough is not on Straight Shooter.

Quite right!!!!! Blame it on a senior moment! I meant Good Lovin' Gone Bad!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 12:49
Digital "science" recording is what created the disconnect people can have nowadays with new music.....

Instead of saying "CD" I should say "redbook". The CD itself is fine but 16bit redbook is the issue, and yea why they did this and have not changed it is beyond me. Clearly it is a compatibility issue with all CD players, it would not be feasible money wise. A CD player cannot decode hi-rez discs like DVD-A or SACD, so then all the redbook CDs in the world would really go away, more useless than they are now.

Hi Rez digital files and SACD are just as expensive as a new record issue, sometimes more expensive. Plus the gear needed to achieve the high end results to make it worth while is very expensive.....A very high end DAC can run you $2500 to $5000. If I were just starting out in audio yea that would be my choice probably, especially if I was young and knew no better.

It's all a choice... 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 02:14

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Don't miss the skips and scratches from some of my favourite vinyl, although whenever I hear Can't Get Enough of Your Love from Bad Company's Straight Shooter - I still remember and expect them still - so engrained are those audio experiences. I suppose it's all relative!

Not that engrained - Can't Get Enough is not on Straight Shooter.

Quite right!!!!! Blame it on a senior moment! I meant Good Lovin' Gone Bad!
Both good tunes anyway.

I know what you mean though, I still listen to songs that used to skip on my vinyl versions and find myself expecting it to skip again on the CD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12