Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beatles: Sgt Pepper vs Abbey Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 06:33
Which is "best?" Whatever "best" means? I suppose Sgt Pepper's for the creativity but my favorite is Abbey Road. My parents had a copy of that album and it's among my earliest musical memories as a very small child. It's forever imprinted on my brain. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 06:35
Hi,

The major tough side of this poll is that there are several years in between these albums, and when Sgt Peppers came out, it was, by very far, a very important album, though many would say that Frank Zappa and a few others had been doing psychedelia as well.

Abbey Road, by comparison, did not burn the FM radio band as much, as the Sgt Pepper's album did a few years back, when no one had heard anything of the kind much, and it made the album important, specially when it sold by the bushel, which almost no other band had done, and they were not the only "psychedelic" album out there.

AR, is probably the better of the two albums in that the "songs" had matured and were very strong, where the Sgt Pepper's stuff, while meaningful, stood up as a fun album instead. And maybe that is the biggest difference between these albums. AR, lyrically, is much more with it and serious, and the side 2 of the LP will blow out Sgt Peppers any day of the week.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 08:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The major tough side of this poll is that there are several years in between these albums, and when Sgt Peppers came out, it was, by very far, a very important album, though many would say that Frank Zappa and a few others had been doing psychedelia as well.

Abbey Road, by comparison, did not burn the FM radio band as much, as the Sgt Pepper's album did a few years back, when no one had heard anything of the kind much, and it made the album important, specially when it sold by the bushel, which almost no other band had done, and they were not the only "psychedelic" album out there.

AR, is probably the better of the two albums in that the "songs" had matured and were very strong, where the Sgt Pepper's stuff, while meaningful, stood up as a fun album instead. And maybe that is the biggest difference between these albums. AR, lyrically, is much more with it and serious, and the side 2 of the LP will blow out Sgt Peppers any day of the week.

Exactly.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYSPORTSFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 08:34
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I like both of them, but Sgt. Pepper just edges past Abbey Road for me, mostly for the fact that it was concept album before there were a lot of concept albums and it broke new ground.  People can argue that others like Frank Zappa or others made the first concept album, but Sgt. Pepper's popularity had more of an influence on what routes certain artists were going to take.  I also hear your arguments for Abbey Road, and it is a close one for me too. 

Oh there have been other concept albums in rock music before Sgt. Peppers. However, they certainly altered the form because it has characteristics of a concept album without really being one. So in essence they arguably created a new way in presenting a rock album. 

Sgt. Peppers structurally is built like a concept album based on the introduction and the  segue of  the reprisal of the title track with a grand finale at the end of album. However, it really doesn't have a story line other than its a fictional band or an alter ego creating an album.  

I am on the fence with Frank Zappa and his music is certainly different. However, I don't understand the comparisons to The Beatles and Zappa musically. The Beatles were extremely talented songwriters with high melodic content, strong production values and enough novelty in the music that attracted them to seemingly everyone including musicians. They basically had all the markets covered.

Zappa had the musical novelty but didn't have the other traits The Beatles had for me to want to listen to him on a repeated basis. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 16:12
Originally posted by NYSPORTSFAN NYSPORTSFAN wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I like both of them, but Sgt. Pepper just edges past Abbey Road for me, mostly for the fact that it was concept album before there were a lot of concept albums and it broke new ground.  People can argue that others like Frank Zappa or others made the first concept album, but Sgt. Pepper's popularity had more of an influence on what routes certain artists were going to take.  I also hear your arguments for Abbey Road, and it is a close one for me too. 

Oh there have been other concept albums in rock music before Sgt. Peppers. However, they certainly altered the form because it has characteristics of a concept album without really being one. So in essence they arguably created a new way in presenting a rock album. 

Sgt. Peppers structurally is built like a concept album based on the introduction and the  segue of  the reprisal of the title track with a grand finale at the end of album. However, it really doesn't have a story line other than its a fictional band or an alter ego creating an album.  

I found A Day In The Life not so much as a grande finale but the alter ego to the rest of the album. It's a bleak lyric, a reality after the colourful garden of psychedelic pop rock bookended by the theme. Placed outside it gives an aspect to an album I don't think anyone has done since. The album isn't themed driectly; a variety of contemporary songs penned in the boundaries but outside reality waits and it's not well...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 05:30

I'm so glad to see that someone else has realised that Sgt Pepper is not a concept album.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 06:41
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm so glad to see that someone else has realised that Sgt Pepper is not a concept album.

Thanks ... it's never been a concept album, and the last piece pretty much dismantles the rest of it all ... although a clever writer (and John and Paul were!) could easily say that after all that stuff we're tired and need to go to bed, which they made it sound better in another album.

For that matter, even Magical Mystery Tour is not a concept album either ... in fact, I am not sure that any of the BEATLES' albums are a "concept" album, even though THE WHITE ALBUM is probably closer to a concept album than any of them. 

I think that AR is an album where the BEATLES wanted to do something that the record companies did not want ... and it was to get away from the "song format" and do something else ... which they did on Side 2 of the AR album. A certain amount of freedom that really showed that these guys were very good musicians and could do stuff that was superb.

Sadly, comparatively speaking, none of the 4 came close to the brilliant last 2 or 3 albums on their own, which to me was a disappointment ... it made me think that the real talent was not those 4 guys but someone else that was steering the music into something else, bigger than just a hit song ... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 12:01
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Thanks ... it's never been a concept album, and the last piece pretty much dismantles the rest of it all ... although a clever writer (and John and Paul were!) could easily say that after all that stuff we're tired and need to go to bed, which they made it sound better in another album.

For that matter, even Magical Mystery Tour is not a concept album either ... in fact, I am not sure that any of the BEATLES' albums are a "concept" album, even though THE WHITE ALBUM is probably closer to a concept album than any of them. 

I think that AR is an album where the BEATLES wanted to do something that the record companies did not want ... and it was to get away from the "song format" and do something else ... which they did on Side 2 of the AR album. A certain amount of freedom that really showed that these guys were very good musicians and could do stuff that was superb.

Sadly, comparatively speaking, none of the 4 came close to the brilliant last 2 or 3 albums on their own, which to me was a disappointment ... it made me think that the real talent was not those 4 guys but someone else that was steering the music into something else, bigger than just a hit song ... 
MMT isn't even a proper Beatles album, it's a compilation of the MMT EP and some singles. MMT (the original EP) is a soundtrack to the film (or the Beatle songs from the film, not even all the music), not really a concept.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 06:51

MMT isn't even a proper Beatles album, it's a compilation of the MMT EP and some singles. MMT (the original EP) is a soundtrack to the film (or the Beatle songs from the film, not even all the music), not really a concept.

There are tell tale signs of many things that had been written, if not completely, at least in various parts, when you listen to the original bootleg of the Beatles in Hamburg, which if I am not mistaken, was something like 3 LP's. Some of those bits ended up as far as LET IT BE, and WHITE ALBUM, if my memory serves me right. Nothing major, but you can see that they had riffs and bits and pieces that they kept and then found a place for them, or a song would develop.

I imagine that this is normal within a group that stays together a reasonable amount of time.

BTW, if you have not heard/seen, PETER JACKSON has been given ALL THE MATERIAL that is related to LET IT BE, and they are planning a huge film and release it all. According to Paul, he feels that LET IT BE, the film as is right now, is a bit sad, and mostly shows the tensions in the band, which I have always disagreed with ... the bootlegs around it, which likely showed a good hour plus of other stuff, including fun stuff, showed that they also had some fun, be it singing MARY JANE, or BESAME MUCHO ... and all kinds of other nutsy stuff, and Paul says that the whole recording of that album was actually a much more fun time than folks imagine.

I always thought, that's not a sad/bummer film, even in my reviews of the film, I would not trash it, since I, personally, felt that this was about REAL PEOPLE, doing their thing together ... and when that happens there are agreements and disagreements, but only one of them kinda bothered me, and it was George Harrison getting upset and saying he will play it if he wants him to, or he will leave if he wants him to (Paul) ... and John intervenes and starts a different song. This moodyness on George's part is clear on Patti's book about the whole thing.

I have always felt that the last two albums (WHITE and AR) were about ... the Beatles ... 4 people ... and not something else, and LET IT BE, gave us that, but a lot was taken out to make the stars look better, and come off as master musicians doing their work ... and in the end, they were telling us, that there is no master musician ... just some grand fun, and the desire to put together great music. And play it!

Edited by moshkito - February 06 2019 at 06:54
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123