0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [11.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 14:02
Yeah, you are probably right. I just skimmed the first page and didn't see what was before it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 09:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Evil is a superb character, as are others, and I love this exchange between the child and The Supreme Being:

Kevin: "You mean you let all those people die just to test your creation?"
The Supreme Being: "Yes. You really are a clever boy."
Kevin: "Why did they have to die?"
The Supreme Being: "You might as well ask why we must have evil."
Kevin: "Yes, why do we have to have evil?"
The Supreme Being: "Ah, I think it's something to do with freewill."

You know that this is a take on PC and DM's original, in BEDAZZLED, right?

You really want to see that film, and if you can run a cassette recording of the dialogue ... and save it and one night just put on the dialogue ... and you will find all these lines in there and then some ... and the ending, is so prophetic, it's not funny!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 09:37
I haven't seen some of these but I went with Fisher King. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 11:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Evil is a superb character, as are others, and I love this exchange between the child and The Supreme Being:

Kevin: "You mean you let all those people die just to test your creation?"
The Supreme Being: "Yes. You really are a clever boy."
Kevin: "Why did they have to die?"
The Supreme Being: "You might as well ask why we must have evil."
Kevin: "Yes, why do we have to have evil?"
The Supreme Being: "Ah, I think it's something to do with freewill."

You know that this is a take on PC and DM's original, in BEDAZZLED, right?

You really want to see that film, and if you can run a cassette recording of the dialogue ... and save it and one night just put on the dialogue ... and you will find all these lines in there and then some ... and the ending, is so prophetic, it's not funny!

No, I didn't/ don't (I hadn't read about or recognised that). You'll find similar sentiments from many sources. There's some pretty classic "problem of evil" type stuff going on in Time Bandits. I love the original Bedazzled, seen it a few times. I saw it first on late night TV while working in Japan (happened to be the first movie I caught there on TV in English with Japanese subs, which made it even more memorable). Anyway, been decades since I last saw it.

Edited by Logan - August 30 2019 at 11:25
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 06:31

No, I didn't/ don't (I hadn't read about or recognised that). 
I love the original Bedazzled, seen it a few times. I saw it first on late night TV while working in Japan (happened to be the first movie I caught there on TV in English with Japanese subs, which made it even more memorable). Anyway, been decades since I last saw it.

You don't have to "see it". Believe or not, it works better if you only listen to the dialogue and do not get distracted by the gags ... Guy Guden, of SPACE PIRATE RADIO used to have a lot of fun with this during his incredible Halloween shows with bits and pieces in between the music ... and after hearing it once or twice ... you can't help thinking ... that's not only clever, that's really well written.

Remember that PC and DM, were from the very high academic upper class in England ... if anyone could write things above and beyond anything that we could possibly understand (half of BEYOND THE FRINGE), they not only COULD, but DID. So much so that their "visual" material on DVD and their stage shows were fun and fine, but they did not have the incredible intellect that you will find in BEDAZZLED ... I don't think that any film has either.

And the close of the film is even better ... listen for it ... it's about advertising!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 13:31
Twelve Monkeys
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 14:56
No can vote: haven't seen his most recent two and there are too many seminal ones from the earlier stuff. (E.g. Jabberwocky was the first film I ever saw that, for me, captured the filth and day-to-day life struggles of medieval life.)
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 15:44
I ought to vote Brazil - but Time Bandits is just SOOOOO funny!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 05:17
Brazil, because he somehow got Robert De Niro to co star in that bizarre movie!

Edited by SteveG - July 16 2020 at 05:29
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 06:09
Not sure of his films, but his animations on Monty Python are KILLER.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 08:12
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Who voted for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote?

Hi,

It's a good film ... but sadly, just like the story in the book, it is confusing, and sometimes crazy, and then you wonder who this book is about ... my idea is that this is the best parable about Terry Gilliam's life that will be made ... and I doubt that anyone will make a film about him 100 years from now and think they can do better!

Don Quixote, IS Terry Gilliam!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 06:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Brazil, because he somehow got Robert De Niro to co star in that bizarre movie!

Hi,

I think DeNiro was the one that was "lost" in the scene where the pieces of paper swallowed everything ... and you know what I thought?

He probably tried to get DeNiro to be one of the doctors or major characters in the film, but the amount of paperwork and this and that and this and all that, probably made it unlikely that DeNiro could do more than a cameo 3 inches long!

Folks like Bunuel, Gilliam, think a lot like that ... the images are nuts, but they are always "true" in one way or another!
www.pedrosena.com
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 12:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

1st vote for Time Bandits. I love that movie. Always have. But Gilliam's made many fine films (and at least one stinker in Baron Munchausen).

A highly imaginative film with a chorus of interesting cameos!

Anyone remember the film short entitled The Crimson Permanent Assurance? Another great one!

Edited by Jaketejas - July 17 2020 at 12:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123