2 [13.33%]
2 [13.33%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disney: The Bronze Age (1970-1988)
    Posted: February 24 2019 at 10:27
Following Walt Disney's death, up until The Little Mermaid's success in 1989, the bronze age is generally considered Disney's less creative period.

Although that might be true to a certain extension, there are a couple of movies from this period worth noting (my favourites are Robin Hood, The Black Cauldron and The Great Mouse Detective).

Which one's your favourite?
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 10:29
I forgot to specify I'm only covering animated features from this period.
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 10:33
The Black Cauldron. Including one of the rare antagonists that I really find cool.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 10:33
Voted for the Black Cauldron. I like that, but generally I'm not a big fan of Disney, although there are live action exceptions such as The Black Hole and Tron (both of which I loved).

Edited by Logan - February 24 2019 at 10:35
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 11:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Voted for the Black Cauldron. I like that, but generally I'm not a big fan of Disney, although there are live action exceptions such as The Black Hole and Tron (both of which I loved).

Not even classic animated features such as Pinocchio, Fantasia or Alice In Wonderland, to name a few?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 12:35
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Not even classic animated features such as Pinocchio, Fantasia or Alice In Wonderland, to name a few?

No, even as a child those didn't resonate with me (there are parts of Fantasia I like, but it left me feeling empty on the whole). Those films never spoke to me or I felt represented me (didn't identify with them), and I found them alienating.

Edited by Logan - February 24 2019 at 12:38
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 15:13
"The Aristocats" is deserving of much higher praise.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 23:45
I would vote "the Great Mouse Detective" but i also like Aristocats and the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is perhaps the most beautiful; in terms of how i imagine living in 100s yards forest.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 15:42
The order for me would be something like:

1- Robin Hood
2- The Black Cauldron
3- The Great Mouse Detective
4- The Fox And The Hound
5- The Aristocats
6- Oliver And Company
7- The Rescuers
8- The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh

To me, Winnie The Pooh is Disney's epitome for its decadent years.

Edited by Morningrise - February 25 2019 at 15:44
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 00:02
I have fond memories of Robin Hood.

Edited by Icarium - February 26 2019 at 00:02
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 07:39
I remember really enjoying The Fox and The Hound as a kid when it came out so I'll give that a vote. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 07:47
Not a huge Disney fan but I need to see Black Cauldron someday
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 08:10
Hi,

So sorry ... the only thing I like from Walt Disney, is the very film he disliked at first, but is one of the important ones, that no one sees and appreciates, so it seems!

FANTASIA ... all else is just stories taken from other stories and badly done versions of Grimm's Fairy Tales.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 02:22
The judge said to me, "You are a Robbing Hood!" (Robin Hood).

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - February 28 2019 at 02:22

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 16:22
No contest, The Black Cauldron.

Then The Aristocats.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 02:15
I only saw Aristocats in full... Though I suppose I did see a bunch of Pooh animes when I was a kid.
Quite sure I ever saw the rest (well bits of Robin Hood, maybe)

Wouldn't Aristocats be part of the silver era, rather than the Bronze?? Confused

Edited by Sean Trane - March 02 2019 at 01:41
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 16:30
Having trouble choosing between Fox and Cauldron. Both sit in special places in my memory. 

The Fox and the Hound on the one hand, was a lot more dramatically heavy than the usual Disney fare, where The Black Cauldron had a certain darkness and immersiveness to its lore, even if its characters were less interesting than those in The Fox and The Hound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 18:19
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Wouldn't Aristocats be part of the silver era, rather than the Bronze?? Confused

No. Walt Disney's passing marks the end of the silver era, with The Jungle Book being the last movie released during this period.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 13:47
I sit comfortably with the majority on this one.  Robin Hood is near perfect. 
 Post Reply Post Reply