Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMiracles really do happen!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 06:33
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Neo prog colouring in?

tona View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 07:10

1 - foxtrot & sebtp

2 - 70's hawkwind

3 - 70's zappa

4 - then you get ctte...

... but i have to know my song well before i start singin'
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 07:13
If you give a few examples of music you already listen to we could tailor examples better, I guess.
Bizarro #1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 18:01
I grew up on my parents' Elton John and Cat Stevens records, then got into the Canadian Brass and Philip Glass around the same time my dad did. In my adolescence, I listened to Tom Petty, ELO, U2, The Cure, Hum, The Smiths/Morrissey, Primus, and Smashing Pumpkins. I still like all of those artists, but in my adulthood I discovered Brian Eno, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Idaho, and more ELO.

I listened to "Foxtrot" last night and "Selling England By the Pound" the other day. I hate to say it, but they didn't really jump out at me as anything terribly interesting. I might be able to get into it more if I could understand what Peter Gabriel was singing, but so far "A Trick of the Tail" was the only one that came with printed lyrics (I'm listening to them in their first CD editions). Then again, after hearing about the basic story arc of "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway," I'm afraid of what I might find. At least the stories told in "A Trick of the Tail" had a meaning that I could understand (I really really like Squonk for that reason). But songs about eating chocolate hookers and self-castration? No thanks. I'm listening to "Nursery Cryme" right now and I like the music, but again I can't understand what he's singing.

I've heard at least parts of all these albums before, but I never really listened to them, if you get my meaning. My girlfriend is heavy into Genesis, both old and not-so-old, and I've been around her while she's played this stuff during the five years we've been together. I always used to tease her about her taste for prog (which seems to be limited to Genesis; there are no other prog artists in her collection). But last weekend she bought "The Video Show" DVD, and I got to see and hear the videos for Ripples, Robbery Assault & Battery, and A Trick of the Tail. I don't think I ever even overheard her playing any of those songs before, and I really liked what I heard. So now I find myself in the embarrassing situation of liking things that I once mocked.

PS: A couple years ago, I downloaded "Joe's Garage" in its entirety and I liked it. I feel so dirty...

Edited by Bizarro #1
Klaatu barada nikto.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 21:26
Selling England and Nursery Chryme are very English in their lyrics - there are a fair few obscure references to British culture and to mythology - probably far more than I've noticed, since I wasn't even born when they were recorded. Understanding the lyrics is quite important to liking them, though, since they're very "storylike" in their writings.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 12:35

Originally posted by Bizarro #1 Bizarro #1 wrote:

I chose my words very poorly.

Some people are just very sensitive about some...details in here.

Bizarro #1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 18:10
Yeah, I noticed. This post may make some cringe too, so tread warily.

After reviewing the music I listened to previously, I think perhaps I was already leaning in the direction of prog. The best example of this that I haven't listed previously is Lou Reed's "Berlin" album (and it's absence from your Prog Index, in my opinion, is shameful). After that, I'd say Klaatu's "3:47 EST" definitely has one or two prog tracks but most of it is straight-ahead '70s rock.

ELO?
Klaatu barada nikto.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12