Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zhang Yimou directed films

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose a film that you like/ love...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zhang Yimou directed films
    Posted: March 20 2019 at 14:04
Along with Krzysztof Kieślowski, and a few others, Zhang Yimou had a profound effect on me in the 90s. It helped lead me into Film Studies (though I, sadly, didn't major in it).

Here I won't list all of this films, even though I have seen his co-directed Codename Cougar. And One Second has not yet been released. As a cinematographer, I loved collaborations of his with Chen Kaige (especially Yellow Earth).

For me, it's his early films that really rocked my world. Today I might choose Ju Dou.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 17:09
Those 90's films are pretty mostly masterpieces and Gong Li is superb in them, but as much as I was ready to pick Raise the Red Lantern, I have to go with my heart and choose The Road Home. It's such a beautiful little film, and anyone who thinks Zhang Ziyi is a one-dimensional stoic actress would be shocked as to how sweet she is in it. Maybe it's my mood, in that this sort of nostalgic piece resonates with me so much.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 17:52
Hero is the one that works the best for me of those I've seen (predictable taste, I know), but I also very very much like Curse of the Golden Flower in all of its melodramatic, Shakespearean glory. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 10:09
Hi,

With the demise of the proverbial video store, my ability to catch many foreign films has dropped really bad ... both services like Netflix, Hulu and any others out there, have the worst listing of films, and if that is not bad enough, they consider "anime" ... a foreign film, which is really scary ... although I could easily say that some of the anime listed is way better than the 2nd rate left over crap listed in both those services.

I'm kinda left with looking to buy used CD's on Amazon for a dollar or two in order to catch many of these films ... for example, the last Yimou film I have seen is TO LIVE ... and I had seen, and reviewed all of his early films.

Trust me, it has been frustrating to say the least ... and I tried to get an email off to Netflix to get an idea of their listing of films ... you have to become a member ... !!!!! I can't afford it at my age and on Social Security!

I'm skipping this poll, as much as it hurts to do so ... because of the many films I have not seen, and have no idea how they would affect the choices. But things like RAISE THE RED LANTERN really deserved all the awards is got ... it was excellent and the design, and lighting concepts and all the "squares" is created, made the film even more enjoyable.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 13:08
For US Netflix listings, try https://usa.newonnetflix.info/catalog

You might consider a free month Netflix trial at some time (if it's currently going on). I haven't found Netflix Canada good for Art House film or "quality", more serious international films. As soon as I got Netflix, I looked up Zhang Yimou, and they had maybe one of his more mainstream films at the time (Hero, or House of Flying Daggers). I did catch his "Coming Home" on Netflix. I caught Shanghai Triad, also still have in on VHS, Not One Less, and the Raod Home in the cinemas when they came to Vancouver.

Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Those 90's films are pretty mostly masterpieces and Gong Li is superb in them, but as much as I was ready to pick Raise the Red Lantern, I have to go with my heart and choose The Road Home. It's such a beautiful little film, and anyone who thinks Zhang Ziyi is a one-dimensional stoic actress would be shocked as to how sweet she is in it. Maybe it's my mood, in that this sort of nostalgic piece resonates with me so much.

The Road Home is beautiful, and Zhang Ziyi very much reminded me of a young Gong Li in that. When I saw it in the theatre, I did rather feel that Zhang Yimou was fetishising her a bit in his loving camera shots of her (similar to how he would shoot Gong Li before that).

Different again, but I absolutely loved the delightful Not One Less.

One I have yet to see and want to is A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop (noodles make me think of the Japanese film Tampopo). It's supposed to be a farcical film based on the Coen Bros. Blood Simple, and has poor reviews. Actually, when he has gone for broader comedy, it hasn't tended to work well for me (I quite enjoyed Happy Times but I barely remember it).

Just a fanboy passin' through.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 19:43
I loved many of these films--Curse of the Golden Flower is my wife's favorite. They're all so visually stunning. I have a particular soft spot for the flawed but gorgeous Hero. Each fight sequence is hauntingly beautiful and Tony Leung's performance as Broken Sword is sublime!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply