Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ankh-Morpork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello!
    Posted: March 29 2019 at 06:59
Hello!

I'm Ankh-Morpork. I'm from France. I started listen to progressive rock in 2014. Rush and Kansas were the first prog bands I've heard. But I didn't know the genre at the time

Thanks to this site I discovered great bands such as Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Genesis, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, Camel. They became my favorite bands.

Recently, I started to play guitar in order to become more than a simple fan. I plan to discover other instruments when I have the time haha.

Moreover, Progressive rock encourages me to love reading. I noticed that a lot of songs make references to myths and famous books ("The Lord of the rings", "Pantagruel", "Gargantua", "Animal Farm A Fairy Story", "The Snow Goose", etc.). I guess I can talk about "transversality". 

Unfortunately, nobody knows Progressive Rock in France and I'm the only "musician" in my family. At least, I hope I will have virtual friends on this site! 

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 07:53
Greetings!  Your English is just fine!  Way better than my French.  Although my son is fluent in French.  That all being said, greetings!

You will become even more appreciative of the ability of other musicians through learning an instrument and you will find that it even changes the way that you experience music.  

You are so right, lots of cultural references from popular to classical literature and even some re visual art in progressive music...there is a great topic on books in these forums...http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9132

There are quite a few radio stations that play progressive and related music 24/7, but since you said you are in France, I just discovered this French station:  https://www.morow.com/

Here is a listing of other progressive stations recommended by PA:  http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRadio.asp

And a wealth of other information abounds here.  Welcome and enjoy!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Ankh-Morpork View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ankh-Morpork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 10:41
Thank you for your welcome! I will glance at these forums Smile
VicRelayer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VicRelayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 10:49
Welcome to the forum! I'm Spanish, so we are neighbors. 

I'm the last newbie before you, and I share your opinion about the great quantity of bands that you can find in Prog Archives. I hadn't listen many bands of musicians from your country, but I love Patrick Rondat's Amphibia, a magnificent instrumental album. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 10:55
Salut cousin. Passe du bon temps sur le forum et, surtout, n'hésite pas a brasser la cage de temps en temps.

Not ring wong with you englisse, dude.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 11:56
judging by your name you are a fan of Terry Pratchett. welcome

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ankh-Morpork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 12:54
Originally posted by VicRelayer VicRelayer wrote:

Welcome to the forum! I'm Spanish, so we are neighbors. 

I'm the last newbie before you, and I share your opinion about the great quantity of bands that you can find in Prog Archives. I hadn't listen many bands of musicians from your country, but I love Patrick Rondat's Amphibia, a magnificent instrumental album. 

Hello VicRelayer and thank you for the welcome! So, your're Spanish?  I didn't expect such a diversity on this forum! 

Honestly, progarchives.com is the site which introduced me to french prog bands. But if you are interested, I was very impressed by Lazuli, Magma, Ange, Nemo (but these are the only ones I know haha). I heard talk of Patrick Rondat. It's a great guitarist!
However I admit I don't know any spanish prog band. Do you have any recommandation?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ankh-Morpork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 13:01
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Salut cousin. Passe du bon temps sur le forum et, surtout, n'hésite pas a brasser la cage de temps en temps.

Salut! Merci pour l'accueil! "Brasser la cage" est une expression canadienne, je me trompe? Smile
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 13:36
Originally posted by Ankh-Morpork Ankh-Morpork wrote:

Salut! Merci pour l'accueil! "Brasser la cage" est une expression canadienne, je me trompe? Smile

Oui, ca pourrait vouloir dire: 'réveiller celui qui ne veut l'être' ou 'ne pas hésiter a s'affirmer face a ceux qui se complaisent dans la conformité'. Quelque chose comme ca.

Jette une oreille a Harmonium et Maneige, si ce n'est déja fait.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ankh-Morpork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 06:54
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

judging by your name you are a fan of Terry Pratchett. welcome

Hello! Thank you for your welcome! I wouldn't say I'm a fan because I didn't read the whole collection yet. A friend introduced me to Terry Pratchett and then, I was quickly seduced by his "artistic" universe.  Smile

Originally posted by Ankh-Morpork Ankh-Morpork wrote:

Salut! Merci pour l'accueil! "Brasser la cage" est une expression canadienne, je me trompe? Smile

Oui, ca pourrait vouloir dire: 'réveiller celui qui ne veut l'être' ou 'ne pas hésiter a s'affirmer face a ceux qui se complaisent dans la conformité'. Quelque chose comme ca.

Jette une oreille a Harmonium et Maneige, si ce n'est déja fait. 

Ah, d'accord, c'est donc ce que l'expression "Brasser la cage" signifie Shocked! Malheureusement, la plupart des gens se sentent en sécurité en étant "conforme" à une norme. Ceci étant dit, au fond, je crois que nous sommes tous logés à cette enseigne Tongue

J'avais déjà écouté quelques morceaux de Maneige, c'est un grand groupe! Je ne connaissais par Harmonium par contre. Quelles magnifiques mélodies ! Le Canada a vraiment de très grands groupes. 
 Post Reply Post Reply