Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Listen to a new song, and post another song!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentient Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 22:16
Hmm... "Promise" is impressive for how many styles it goes through, though the variety messes with the cohesiveness somewhat. For instance, in the beginning the vocals weigh down the driving 80s metal sound (sorry for lack of a better descriptor here) so there's this unwieldy sensation of breaking at full speed that takes away from my getting into it. Love the transition to the slower break but I'd like for it to get somewhere more solid/exciting from there; maybe this is better within the context of the album. On the whole: some flaws, but still fairly memorable and distinct. Since it kept me intrigued throughout its 11 minutes, let's go with 7.5/8.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 10:36
Scout Niblet....interesting.....alt indie rock..?...genres elude me sometimes...I like the slow deliberateness , reminds me of another old female alt rocker from many years ago...can't recall the name. 7/10

Used to listen to these guys many years ago.....a quiet one from them.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 04:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Scout Niblet....interesting.....alt indie rock..?...genres elude me sometimes...I like the slow deliberateness , reminds me of another old female alt rocker from many years ago...can't recall the name. 7/10

Used to listen to these guys many years ago.....a quiet one from them.

Very good song! Elegant Classic rock … repetetive but with pleasure… crystalline production, the guitars have a wonderful sound. 7,5... maybe 8.

And now, Pfm in concert with Italian folk singer Fabrizio De Andre. Mussida on the electric guitar.

"Amico Fragile" (Fragile Friend) by De André. Performed by De André (lead vocals and acoustic guitar) and PFM.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Sentient Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentient Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 14:37
Interesting instrumental work! Vocals remind me a bit of Leonard Cohen, which I like, but this is more dramatic, which doesn't resonate quite as much with me. Perhaps not enough variety to justify the length, but beautiful nonetheless. 7.5.

Alright, how about this one?

dr wu, Yes, alt indie sounds about right for Scout Niblett.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 21:14
Re: Meat Wave - No Light. Probably would have liked this a lot more back when I was into all the new post-punk bands. I enjoyed it enough as is though. 

Edited by Polymorphia - May 12 2019 at 21:15
Sentient Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentient Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 15:00
Palm, "Composite": Fascinating stuff! Lulls you into a false sense of security with slightly off but more or less straightforward rhythm and melody at the start and then proceeds to mess with the brain in a way that reminds me of Parts & Labor. Digging into Rock Islands to see what else they've got to offer. Doesn't fully click just yet, but fully intrigues. Tentative 7.5/8.

I didn't see anything about posting explicit audio content in the site rules and guidelines, so hopefully this will be fine, but a heads up just in case:

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 17:15
Originally posted by Sentient Ear Sentient Ear wrote:

I didn't see anything about posting explicit audio content in the site rules and guidelines, so hopefully this will be fine, but a heads up just in case:

Electronic funk, very sustained rhythm, 6,5.

And now from the Island of Beauty, Corsica in Italian, Corse in French, a folk group who sings in the ethnic language, that is, in the reality, an Italian dialect.

Vitalba: Mi Ne Vogu

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 14 2019 at 17:20
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 06:48
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

And now from the Island of Beauty, Corsica in Italian, Corse in French, a folk group who sings in the ethnic language, that is, in the reality, an Italian dialect.

Vitalba: Mi Ne Vogu

It sounds like a lot of modern pop to me, even a bit Eurovision, but it’s nice to hear them singing in their own language and actually playing their instruments so I will upgrade an acceptable 5 to a 6. I hope the people of Corsica will support them rather than the usual pop artists.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 07:06
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

You both posted at the same time! 8 for this one, it was nice and creepy with a bit of extra power from the monotonous drum and bass lines.
I didn't notice your reply and forgot about this thing all together - but I didn't get a song to listen to. Glad you enjoyed Umberto btw. The whole album is a dark delight. Another tune if anyone's interested. Progressive I'd say - but not in the archives:

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 15:46

You both posted at the same time! 8 for this one, it was nice and creepy with a bit of extra power from the monotonous drum and bass lines.
I didn't notice your reply and forgot about this thing all together - but I didn't get a song to listen to. Glad you enjoyed Umberto btw. The whole album is a dark delight. Another tune if anyone's interested. Progressive I'd say - but not in the archives:

1: Castor and Pollux, by Harry Partch. 
An instrumental, long suite. Original for sound and conception, based on assembling percussive instruments with different musical stamps. Ardous listening, a bit monotonous rhythm but high quality music writing. Score 8.

2. Herbert Bairy - Runnin'. Another original composition. Mood jazz-rock but it contains a psychedelic and avant-garde writing. Rhythmic Base with bass in evidence from which emerge dissonant trumpet solos, guitar solos and howling voices. Whirling climat. Score 8.

We listened to high-class music here!!!

And after these instrumental pieces, now it's time for real singers.

I give you another corse song:
A Filetta - Sumiglia.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 15 2019 at 16:00
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 22:47
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

And after these instrumental pieces, now it's time for real singers.

I give you another corse song:
A Filetta - Sumiglia.

That is amazing singing and especially without accompaniment. A funeral song I believe. 8.

Perhaps this can be contrasted by a religious tune from Slovenia.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 06:54

That is amazing singing and especially without accompaniment. A funeral song I believe. 8.

Perhaps this can be contrasted by a religious tune from Slovenia.

In the beginning I've thought: wow, amazing but then, I discovered this is a bombastic, commercial gothic song, I would say quite trash-music, for the sound and the combination music-lyrics. Anyway, I'm not snobs
and I enjoyed the overwhelming pace, so 5.

Now, an Italian singer-songwriter, Alberto Fortis. In many Italian rankings, Fortis is considered prog, for songs like this.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 18 2019 at 06:56
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 19:28
^I really liked the beginning with just vox, keys, bass, harmonica, and the subtle guitar. I could take or leave the rest of the song. Overall, there's nothing hugely interesting harmonically or melodically, so the beginning succeeds as a wonderful exercise in tone. Perhaps I would better appreciate the later sections as part of a narrative if I knew Italian. 

Here's my pick:

Edited by Polymorphia - May 19 2019 at 19:29
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 17:17
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

^I really liked the beginning with just vox, keys, bass, harmonica, and the subtle guitar. I could take or leave the rest of the song. Overall, there's nothing hugely interesting harmonically or melodically, so the beginning succeeds as a wonderful exercise in tone. Perhaps I would better appreciate the later sections as part of a narrative if I knew Italian. 

Here's my pick:

Experimental, hyperkinetic, electronic, difficult to evaluate, I would say 6. And now one of my fave solo guitar:

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 08:45
Come on! Let's start again!

Give a score (from 1 to 10) to this song, and explain your rating:

And then, post a new song!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 08:21
Is there anybody out there?

I would like to play this game-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123