3 [21.43%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [35.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 16:31
Schopenhaur is in terms of music and aesthetic the most profound philosopher. hes also a very beautifull read, he touches upon themes regarding pre-darwenian coining of evolusion. Hes almost hinting at a kinship and that humans belong to the animal kingdom thorugh hes "The World as Will and Representation" es chilling. Hes opinion on music is very profound as hes arguments regarding its placd as the highest of art.

Edited by Icarium - July 03 2019 at 16:32
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 22:01
I noticed the absence of Wittgenstein also. There are probably other philosophers absent too that I can't think of right now. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 01:38
Aristotle (my homeboy).

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 08:32
Hi,

I cheated! I went after IMDB and a search engine to find a small list with a few added bits.

Hanna Arendt (2012)
When Nietzsche Wept (2007)
Agora (2009)
Ghandi (1982)
Little Buddha (1993)
Confucius (2010)
Destiny (1997)
Sartre, Years of Passion (2006)
The Last Days of Emmanuel Kant (1996)
Wittgenstein (1993)
The Passion of Ayn Rand (1999)
Iris (2001)
Giordano Bruno (1973)
Adi Shankaracharya (1983)
Beyond Good and Evil (1977)
Days of Nietzsche in Turin (2001)
Thr Turin Horse (2011)
A Poet's Fate (1959)
Al-Ghazali: The Alchemist of Happiness (2004)
The Ister (2004)
Derrida (2002)
Zizek! (2005)
Examined Life (2008)
Socrates (1971)
Blaise Pascal (1972)
Augustine of Hippo (1972)
Cartesius (1974)
Twilight of the Gods (2013)
The Flowers of St. Francis (1950)
Brother Sun, Sister Moon (1972)

Most of these are really rare, and might not even be available on disk at all ... since some of them were TV stuff, as was the case with some Rosselini stuff. 

But you can see a few nice things here ... Zeffirelli, Attenborough, Bertolucci, Jarman ...

Oddities include Bertolucci, known for including writers and philosophers in his films. Derek Jarman's film is one that is really difficult to explain, and like his other stuff is a mix that is really hard to digest as it assaults the senses with its parallels and comparisons ... a typewriter 500 years ago! ... but it fits perfectly and you don't even realize it! His Prospero is actually very good, although very unconventional. The film about Wittgenstein I have never found or seen and can not comment, though some reviews really put it down badly. For Derek Jarman, that would be a compliment!

The other oddity, and not considered a "philosopher", is Jean Luc Godard, that can make you watch some cream get mixed into a cup of coffee and watch the little waves dissolve and give you a philosophy idea right over it ... it's an incredible moment, and one that makes you go ... huh??? ... and it happens so fast and he does it so often in so many ways ... like having a discussion with himself about a scene, and if it would work better done differently? His films bother a lot of audiences but they assault your ideas and thoughts about movies and how they have seduced you completely! He breaks that down very strongly!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 08:54
Derrida is quite profound philosopher of the french continental jazz
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 07:40
Nietzsche was the executor of God's will
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 08:22
Hume looked cool, and humerous, likes to wear a turban or some portraits of him you see him wearing one.
https://www.quora.com/Why-did-David-Hume-wear-a-turban

Edited by Icarium - July 16 2019 at 09:38
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 11:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As far as interesting biopics...I'd co with Gurdjieff...and they did make a movie with him at the center some years ago.
Gurdjieff actually influenced Robert Fripp. During those few years after he initially disbanded KC he studied Gurdjieff among other things(mostly of a spiritual nature apparently).

That's true....and around the same time I became interested in 4th Way ideas and bought several books by Ouspensky and Bennett...and even thought about joining a group out of Indianapolis and one in Chicago.
I believe that Fripp spent some time at a Bennett retreat both in England and the US also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 08:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

... and around the same time I became interested in 4th Way ideas and bought several books by Ouspensky and Bennett...and even thought about joining a group out of Indianapolis and one in Chicago.
I believe that Fripp spent some time at a Bennett retreat both in England and the US also.

The books, themselves, do not have a lot of details about the "process" that can be used and how ... and this is something that ends up being left to "words" and it does not translate very well.

RF, in these studies, would not be interested in words ... he would be interested in how this could be used within a rehearsal or performance technique ... and stuff like this is not exactly found clearly in those books that spend way too much time telling you what you are supposed to be thinking ... very typical of most "philosophies", even today .... the process itself, ends up kinda lost and not seen ... and the problem with it all, is that many of us are "experiential" and would rather FEEL IT and DO IT, than read about it and then try to figure out how to translate it into some doing it.

The best example of it, can be found in PETER BROOK's THE TIGHTROPE.

It's an acting exercise, but the explanations and the details with which Peter Brooke runs these actors, is amazing and totally out of this world ... you get the feeling ... here is Gurdjieff talking to his students ... and how well it works out ... and in the end the best compliments ... he's so gentle and helpful ... and btw, for many folks out there ... there is a musician involved and he is a part of the exercises ... so if you think that music can not live outside of its notes and chords and staff ... you just have to see it and hear his comments!

In many ways, this is one of the best films about acting ... and directing ... and performance ... and if you think this is not valid for you because you play bass and been in 10 bands and are now teaching ... you will never really know, understand, where music comes from and how it comes alive!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
EthanMitchel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EthanMitchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 08:14
So how are you today? Did you found how to change? I would recommend you to try smart pills, that can help you with diet, learning something, or workout. You can find stacks here: https://nootropicboost.com. I think it should help you.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 13:45
Nietzsche
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12