Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Everybody loves ANNIE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 20:04
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^  Funny when I was told about Renaissance by a friend and checked out their page on PA, I took one look at the mugshot (which then was their iconic fivesome photo with Annie in a black dress) and decided the only way a band with such a plain looking singer would have done well is if she happened to be really, really good at singing. Tongue  My frame of reference then as an ardent metalhead was different; I was thinking of the more glamorous frontwomen of symph metal bands like Epica or After Forever.  Of course, I came to appreciate that Annie may not be glamorous but she is very charming.  And very funny too, with a winsome giggle. I don't know how many know this but the famous joke Steffi Graf made in the midst of a tough Wimbledon match when a spectator asked her if she would marry him (she asked in return, "How much money do you have?") was also used by Annie back in '76 at the Capitol theater show that made it to DVD.  Her phrasing was different and more British, "Have you got much money?".  You have to hear it with that delightful sing-song intonation that she has even when she speaks.  

I can hear her saying that!  I'm sure there were plenty of tense times but I could certainly imagine that having a front (person) like her must have created a much different dynamic than in the typical all male prog group of their day

In fact, it was almost like she enjoyed the attention she attracted and teased her predominantly male audience.

This is another classic Annie zinger.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 13:09
Yes! Yes, we do.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 13:25
yes we do.. every bit of her.. the voice.. the feet.. and the inner beauty. Met her at Nearfest and no I didn't ask to see her feet..  not on a first meeting.. Micky was raised properly thank you very much. She really was down to Earth and quite fun to talk to.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
fronobulax View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fronobulax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 19:29
  Annie is one of the most technically accomplished singers of the post-jazz era. She is part of a very select few who are truly artists in the genres represented on this site.: Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell...?

Also, I have heard more than once folks trying to compare Renaissance with Curved Air. This is not even a close comparison. 

Annie and her band are right up there with the big symphonic bands of the era.  "Can You Hear Me Call" from Novella is absolutely incredible, if you want to hear a ten minute masterpiece from an underrated album!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 22:07
Originally posted by fronobulax fronobulax wrote:

Annie is one of the most technically accomplished singers of the post-jazz era. She is part of a very select few who are truly artists in the genres represented on this site.: Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell...?

Also, I have heard more than once folks trying to compare Renaissance with Curved Air. This is not even a close comparison. 

Annie and her band are right up there with the big symphonic bands of the era.  "Can You Hear Me Call" from Novella is absolutely incredible, if you want to hear a ten minute masterpiece from an underrated album!

Curved Air is a good band for what it's worth. But yeah, as singers, I don't see them as even in the same ballpark. And this is no disrespect to Sonja Kristina. She is a fine singer. I don't think a lot of people get just how technically, well, gravity defying Annie's singing is, even on songs that people THINK are simple, like Carpet. Back in the day, somebody on the forum referred to Annie as butter won't melt in my mouth vicar's wife but when I heard her Midnight Special performance for the first time, I was swept away by her power, breath control and the sheer effortlessness of her singing. And she doesn't pound you with a million notes ala Yngwie, she uses her gift with a lot of care, more like a painter drawing a picture. Guess it makes sense she eventually became a painter.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 08:10
her vocalise gymnastics alone should have earned her immortality.  She might have had somebody writing the music and lyrics but I don't think (and I believe Madan has confirmed this) that anyone was directing her vocalise on Ashes are Burning, which were a rare combination of genius, virtuosity and accessibility

Edited by kenethlevine - July 26 2019 at 08:11
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 10:45
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

her vocalise gymnastics alone should have earned her immortality.  She might have had somebody writing the music and lyrics but I don't think (and I believe Madan has confirmed this) that anyone was directing her vocalise on Ashes are Burning, which were a rare combination of genius, virtuosity and accessibility

IF the fund raiser for the 50th anniversary concerts is successful and the Skype chat is on, I will try to ask her specifically about Ashes are burning.  But she said in an interview that in general, the vocalise was devised by her.  And yes, not only is the Ashes 'solo' technically stupefying, it's also well constructed, especially so for somebody who was not a composer.  

I get that her virtuosity by itself didn't attract the attention it should have.  Because the Park West performance was just shown on a small TV network; she had no godfather like Clive Davis to put it on the big networks.  'Immortality' in popular music is only earned through non stop hyping up by the labels, TV channels, press etc.  And from the few reviews from back in the day I have come across, I can glean that the press was hostile to the band (hence, Vultures Fly High).  

But even keeping aside her virtuosity... I mean, this is progarchives where people think Petrucci is no great shakes just because he doesn't play the blues like Gilmour.  But Annie isn't even all about technicality.  I don't know how anyone can listen to her incredible interpretation of Going Home and think she is just a technical singer.  And this goes back to the confusion people have between songwriting and singing/performing.  I really think when people say Annie is meh, they mean Renaissance is meh.  Because it's not like there was a better way to sing those songs that she eschewed. Maybe on the first couple of albums but not thereafter.  

If Annie wasn't good at constructing a song, you know building a story around it the way great singers can, surely a great singer like Judith Durham would have come up with an interpretation of Northern Lights that was miles ahead of Annie's.  But she didn't.  Her cover was lovely, I liked it.  But you'd have to be pretty biased against Annie to think Judith sang it way better or something.  Or...if we compare Annie's interpretation of If I Loved You to Barbara Streisand's, it holds up really well and has an earthiness and almost a naivete that Streisand's polished take lacks and I say this as someone who like Streisand from before when I first came across Renaissance. So, basically, I don't think it is widely known or understood what a WELL ROUNDED talent Annie is.  She isn't about one or two things like range or power, she does a whole cornucopia of things related to singing really, really well, like amazingly well.
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 11:18
Hug
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 16:31
I'm just wild about Annie
And Annie's wild about me
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 06:30
I know that some of the very biggest bands are classified as symphonic, but to me Renaissance is the quintessential symphonic band. Their approach to composition and arrangement is uniquely symphonic in my view, and of course Annie is the crown of it all, her voice works unbelievably good with  their style, leaving even aside her technical quality. Actually I'd probably reserve the term "symphonic prog" to Renaissance and bands that sound like Renaissance. Cool

On the much hated Camera Camera by the way she is also great at doing some very different things.

Part of the lovers party here!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 06:33
Annie is definately puppy approved and wagging tails are guaranteeeeeeeeed :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 08:33
Oh boy, everybody's really in love with the girl Heart

(micky focusing specially on the feet - I have to admit also a little fetish attraction to women's feet and ankles Embarrassed - but Annie rules as well in several other grounds, no doubt !!!)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 08:48
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

On the much hated Camera Camera by the way she is also great at doing some very different things.

In fact, just the title track alone has incredible range.  And when I say range, I don't mean just octave range but the variety of attacks she uses in that song with some really fast, acrobatic phrases to boot. Her singing on the chorus there is so punchy, like rock sans the distortion.  I am just going to post it there as there may be people who haven't heard it (a lot of fans stick to the classic albums from Ashes through to Scheherazade).

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 17:19
^maybe some day Annie will reconcile herself with Camera Camera and accept that it's a pretty good album, especially given where they came from and the year it was released.  It's quite a bit better than Azure D'Or IMO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12