Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Podcast - Into it or not.

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Are you into podcast, do you have any favourites.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
3 [60.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Podcast - Into it or not.
    Posted: July 31 2019 at 08:38
I can say honestly that podcast is something ive been slow to develop an interest in, mostly becouse when friends were talking about podxast and what they would talk about in podcadsts, it usualy did not peak my interest, it was to sensationalist and silly. But i said to myself, i like certain things, and if someone would talk uninterupted about a certain topic of my interest i would like to listen to it. 

I found out that Spotify have a podcast library so i found my top umbrella topic, educational. And browsed its podcast programs. 

I know am binging a podcast program called "Philosophie This" for me having a reading block, this helps me getting back to make my brian readdy to studdy more. Very good narrator that both are humerous, knowledgable and a comforting voice to listen to in length. Ive found other topics as well that i want to check out called "Myrhs and Legends" and a History buff podcast.

So any podcast fans around ?

Edited by Icarium - July 31 2019 at 09:23
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 09:34
Over the past few years, I have spent more time listening to podcasts than I do music (though I have been listening to a fair amount of music again recently, especially of the library music, soundtrack, dark jazz and tropica ilk, as well as some folk and electronic). I have been listening to many over the last few years, especially after a neurological incident and reading was giving me headaches (that was hard as I work as a copy-editor). It also seemed a good way to get my brain working better (my memory was very impaired especially).

I've listened to Philsophize This! before and Philosophy Bites.

I listed some of my old faves here: CLICK

Some I have regularly listened to are:

- Sam Harris (used to be Waking Up with Sam Harris and is now Making Sense with Sam Harris). I used to love his podcast more, but got a bit irritated with the identity politics going on, victimhood stuff, and laughable intellectual dark web stuff. Still he gets many interesting guests for in-depth discussion on many topics).
- Very Bad Wizards (a fun one, quite crude, but too fratboyish at times for me, by a professor of philosophy and a professor of psychology). It's being aimed mostly at college kid, but I still enjoy it often (but not as much as I used to).
- Let's Talk About Sects (I'm very interested in cults and this is my favourite anthology type one on the topic that covers many cults)
- The Adam Buxton Podcast (a British comedian has "ramble" chats with individuals)
- Big Ideas
- After On
- Book Shambles
- Rule of Three (really enjoying this one)
- The Atheist Experience (when Matt Dillahunty is on, even if he does come across as a douche too often)
- The Evolution of Horror (really helped to revive my love of horror --I came for the folk horror, especially being a big Wicker Man fan, and stayed for the zombies etc.)
- Beyond Today (listen to most of those)
- Intelligence Squared UK (and US less so) -- some good debates, but I wish there weren't the time limits and editing. I like long-form discussion generally the most.
- The Documentary
- We the People with Josh Zepps
- Scriptnotes
- Cold Case Files
- Casefile
- The Godless Spellchecker (the host irritates me, but it's still kind of fun)
- Mindscape
- Cults (could be much better, the hosts I find lacking, but I'm interested in the subject matter)
- The Economist - The Intelligence
- The Daily
- Terrorism 360 [degrees]
- Films to be Buried With
- The Cosmic Sceptic Podcast
- Science Focus
- The Science Hour
- Science
- Naked Humanity
- The Two Shot Podcast
- BBC Earth
- Unpopular Culture (sometimes, mostly for Black Mirror stuff)
- The Krynoid Podcast
- Doctor Who: Diddly Dum Podcast
- Kasterborous

And a few really rivetting podcast series, if disturbing especially in the case of the Jonestown one, were:

- Heaven's Gate (such a well done series about an infamous cult)
- Transmissions from Jonestown (was hard to take, but very well made)
- Caliphate
- Running from COPS
And I liked The Gateway

I also have enjoyed various sci-fi drama fiction podcasts such as:

- Within the Wires
- Limetown
- Rabbits

Incidentally, I also listen to a lot of BBC Sounds (I use the BBC iPlayer Radio app) for radio dramas and comedies, as well as some documentaries and news stories. I do tend to favour sci-fi, horror, and fantasy radio dramas. Those into comedy sci-fi might love this 50s spoof: https://archive.org/details/AtomicTales

EDIT: Since this might get asked in ensuing discussion, I use free podcast apps (Acast is my one of choice, good for searching and I don't have ad issues, but I also use and check Podbean since that has more content available and tends to update faster and be a little more stable).

Edited by Logan - July 31 2019 at 10:50
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 10:50
I think I went a little overboard and may have killed potential discussion.    Not easy to discuss when one lacks similar familiarity as good conversation often rests on shared reference points and experiences.
That said, from my experience as I've brought up my love of podcasts many times, there haven't seemed to be others who feel the same, and the poll indicates that. At least I haven't managed conversation with people on the subject on he kinds of podcasts that interest me.   It's understandable at a music site, as people are busy listening to music, although I have seen some interest expressed about podcasts about music (that's one subject that I haven't looked to podcasts to explore). I enjoy listening to music, but it's not something I particularly want to listen to others analysing, which doesn't mean that I'm not interested in reading and thinking about what people write about music.

What might be fun is discussing the kinds of subjects and people that people are interested in and maybe recommending some podcasts (though a forum like reddit would be better suited to it -- been meaning to try that forum as I have used it as a reference for recommendations). But maybe not, nah, my ideas of recommendation type topics haven't tended to work out as planned. I often wouldn't want to feel pushed to try something like that, like spend an hour listening to this, and neither would others. Like music, podcasts can be very addictive. It's my main source of entertainment these days, well that and audio dramas. Podcasts have become hugely popular. Someone like Joe Rogan has a huge audience.

Anyway, sorry for the double-post, I'll probably bow out of this topic now.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:38
I currently cronologically listen to Philosophy This, i might relisten to some. The one about Bacon and Hobbes were brilliant. and those early about pre-Socratic philosophers.
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:48
Never been into.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:36
I would like an indepth podcast about 70s prog and sociological anaøysis of prog, society and about Avant garde rock
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 13:06
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I currently cronologically listen to Philosophy This, i might relisten to some. The one about Bacon and Hobbes were brilliant. and those early about pre-Socratic philosophers.

It's well-done, I haven't listened to may episodes. I neglected to mention it despite being subscribed to it, but In Our Time: Philosophy is one I liked to listen to. And I used to listen to a very popular one called The Unexamined Life. Ones like Sam Harris and Very Bad Wizards have a philosophical edge (one can't get away long from Kant with VBW). Partially cause I "had to" (okay, I chose to, but as I lack truly free will...) study Philosophy (I wanted to major in film studies but the program became unavailable), I don't tend to listen to a lot of the really educational/ academic ones. It's a heavy topic that I applaud people for delving into not in their native language. Philosophy Bites is a good one for an overview.

I do seem most interested in ones that delve into philosophy, psychology and sociology. I'm particularly on the look out for any good ones that delve into cults -- I'm interested in the stories and a part of me wants to join a cult as I've lacked a sense of belonging/ community. I found the Heaven's Gate podcast riveting, and wonder if I would have followed through with them. Probably not, as I'm also very sceptical by nature and nurture. But I see the appeal.

Edited by Logan - August 01 2019 at 13:08
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 12:40
Hi,

I don't know if it fits here ... but for many years I was next to Guy Guden (roommate for several years), and his show Space Pirate Radio.

The show went on to last over 20 years, and it was so special and different, with such an incredible variety of music since its first show in January 1974, that before I left and came north in 1982, I had over 500 hours of shows of his ... I still have over 400 of them and had to mp3 it all 10 years ago, before the cassette tapes went out ... most of them were Maxell and there were no issues with it, but the ones that had a lesser quality cassette, did not quite all make it. 

The show, was, the best EVER when it came to progressive, and experimental music and a lot of other bits and pieces ... a lot of guy's comedy (he was a very good comedic actor), and his voices are all over the show in many ways always giving us something or other, be it philosophy or new music! The good news is that almost after being away from it all for 18 to 20 years, he is now trying to do this again on Twitch ... and if he can do this half as good as the other "progressive" shows out there, his will already be the best one. 

The show is not about hits, or what you want ... be ready for anything and everything and then some ... and I am not sure that this will be as great today, as it was then, when it brought us so much of the music we love and now (NOW!) consider it "progressive this or that".

I encourage some of the folks here to listen to it, since it will, I'm VERY SURE ABOUT IT, be within the true spirit of the original progressive music and what brought us to listen to it in the first place. The element of surprise and sometimes mystery ... along with a line or two from a movie that you and I will never remember!

So, if something like this is considered  a "Podcast" then this will be of interest ... if it is Alan Watts or equivalent that you are looking for ... ciao baby!

As Guy used to say ... it was a foreign movie without the subtitles ... I am not sure how strong and opinionated Guy will be, but his style is usually buried in a lot of comedic moments and parts.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply