Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any other 20s aged female prog lovers besides me?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any other 20s aged female prog lovers besides me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khonfusedkhemist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 15:06
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Progdaughter at RIO

I have also been to ProgDay and I have the same exact shirt that your daughter is wearing!

Something is funny here though... only one response has been from some who is actually in their 20's it seems. Although I didn't look at profiles, only read comments. And half of the posts are talking about their boys in prog!

khonfusedkhemist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khonfusedkhemist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 15:07
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

And kudos to you for following your ears and not those of the crowd.

It is hard to follow the ears of the crowd when the music of the crowd sounds like sh*t. No offense to the rest of the world. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khonfusedkhemist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 15:22
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by khonfusedkhemist khonfusedkhemist wrote:

But young females interested in prog seem hard to find? I've never had a friend to share my love of prog.. My parents go very hard in the scene, I've attended countless shows since birth, even the very last Nearfest etc. It flows through my blood at this point. Unfortunately, almost no one else young around me seems to have any interest or they don't understand it.

Well welcome to the forum...   interesting dilemma you have there. One that we often hear just as much from young men.  Digging all that hip hop sh*t and wanting to be hip and cool.. which well.. this music largely is NOT hahahha.

Dear...  one thing I think you should consider.  Music is very much a personal thing..  you don't really need friends to share a love of..  what matter is how that music afflect you and speaks to you personally and perhaps it is just me. That is a terribly difficult concept to verbalize.. to try to explain to others. Perhaps it is just me and why I generally suck as a reviewer.. some do perhaps have that gift.. but think it a rare one.

If you do feel the need to share the love you have the right place.. but don't lose sight of what it is really important.. your personal connection and experiences with that music.

and I may add.. I've seen many a young lady at prog shows..  what I think is rather common though, especiailly in the non hip-hop category which is more a cultural thing than a musical thing.. is for many in the younger generation.. genres.. are really quite irrelevant.

I rememeber making this point at a prog show my wife went to..  we were seated right next to a bunch of rather..  young.. LOL ladies.. who probably had zero concept or notion that what they were seeing was considered prog.  They were there.. and loving the concert simply because it was great music.

something perhaps to ponder.. and again.. welcome to the site.

Although I appreciate the words you have provided me to ponder, this is all of what I have pondered before turning to a forum. I am, although in my 20's and born in the age of technology, not computer literate. Choosing to turn to the internet was a hard choice to make. 

I have been to a lowballed number of 150 shows, mostly progressive rock. I have been going to shows at Orion Sound Studios since I moved to Maryland when I was 5. I see females at more mainstream prog shows, Anathema, Porcupine Tree, etc. I don't think I am socially developed enough yet to just talk to people at shows?

I think it is easier to brush off connecting with other humans about music when you are older; meaning that you have a more developed sense of identity, and also DO have a community in which you can share music with people who are in the same stage of life as yourself. Older people also seem to "not give f*ck".

It is not that I care what other people think, because for the most part I don't. But for millennia music has been something that bonds peoples and their cultures. It was hard to be 11 years old and not have that kind of cultural connection (being told listening to something as mainstream as The Red Hot Chili Peppers was "old people music"). Being laughed at that my music was "sh*tty". And despite that, I continued to listen to what I liked... Young people don't have as much of a developed sense of self. And reaching out to the group is obviously common, as other people have mentioned how their children have veered towards hip hop and the likes. 

Knowing you can share the experience of music you love is something very special. 

Sorry for the essay. College, amiright?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 15:30
hah.. I like you. No bullsh*t in you.  Interesting  we have likely met.. most likely definitely have your parents.. we (Raff and I) are close, local to you and vets of many shows at the Orion as well as Progday and Nearfest.

In fact.. I had a suspicion of who you might be right from first seeing the thread. As I have one met lady about your age with two big time prog fans from the MD area.  Anyhow..  I like the way you think.. and talk.  

Do stick around!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khonfusedkhemist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 15:43

hah.. I like you. No bullsh*t in you.  Interesting  we have likely met.. most likely definitely have your parents.. we (Raff and I) are close, local to you and vets of many shows at the Orion as well as Progday and Nearfest.

In fact.. I had a suspicion of who you might be right from first seeing the thread. As I have one met lady about your age with two big time prog fans from the MD area.  Anyhow..  I like the way you think.. and talk.  

I don't doubt that we have met. And I feel as if my parents know everyone ("they go hard in the scene"). They go to festivals in Europe too. Also, my dad will talk to you forever about anything.. if that helps with identification. I am not using my first name here, because this is the internet after all. 

I was talking to someone not in my family about how I felt about music and friends, and they are the one to suggest turning to a forum. So, that is what I'm doing!

Edited by khonfusedkhemist - August 02 2019 at 15:47
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 15:59
bingo.. smart move. No first names unless you are ass kickers and tough guys like me...and would actually enjoy the excitement of some soon to be dead idiot trying to get into our place and steal my stuff.

The forum here is an interesting one..   I've been here for quite a few years and really enjoy the people here. Probably more than they enjoy me hahaha..  a lot of smart people of various tastes.  My suggestion.. don't be shy.. just jump in and share your thoughts on the topics that interest you.  The forum can appear to be a bit rough around the edges.. but it is just a charade to scare away Dream Theater fans from ever coming back. The truth is .. most here are really big teddy bears and would love to talk at you and talk the music they love, you love, and best yet perhaps turn you on to stuff you might not know yet. Though I suspect you have had a very rigourous exposure.

sh*t.. I'd bet you probably know more than many here!  

Edited by micky - August 02 2019 at 16:00
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 17:13

--  a lot of smart people of various tastes.  My suggestion.. don't be shy.. just jump in and share your thoughts on the topics that interest you.  The forum can appear to be a bit rough around the edges.. but it is just a charade to scare away Dream Theater fans from ever coming back. The truth is .. most here are really big teddy bears and would love to talk at you and talk the music they love, you love, and best yet perhaps turn you on to stuff you might not know yet. Though I suspect you have had a very rigourous exposure.

Good advice ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 17:59
I am female and was into prog from my childhood on due to my hippie parents. but I was in my 20s in the 90s. so you could be my daughter. welcome here, my girl Wink

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 18:05
Now I want to name a band Progdaughter.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 18:58
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

hah.. do you one better my friend.. keeping it real in love and appreciation of our much beloved Maryland proggers... (quite a crew actually)

Progdaughter and the Baking Broads..

all male band of course.... dude. we'd rake in the gigs..  everyone wants to hear a falling down drunk cover of Close to the Edge done by a bunch of middle aged guys..

in drag 

for micky in a low cut black dress in heels wielding my Rickenbacker..  oh god.. a true force of nature.. oh yes.. we'd bring back rock and roll in all its 70's debauched glory.. umm hmmm
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 19:09

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

hah.. do you one better my friend.. keeping it real in love and appreciation of our much beloved Maryland proggers... (quite a crew actually)

Progdaughter and the Baking Broads..

all male band of course.... dude. we'd rake in the gigs..  everyone wants to hear a falling down drunk cover of Close to the Edge done by a bunch of middle aged guys..

in drag

Of course they do.   Two words: chick magnet.

Yo-yo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yo-yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 16:18
Ah, what a delightfully relatable post have I found Wink I'm also female, also in my 20s and absolutely, it seems impossible to find someone around in real life, in the age group, with similar music tastes. Makes it difficult to go see bands live when I have to do a fair share of convincing to make any of my friends join, and don't really have close family members in the scene either. Located rather far away, but yeah, here's me, another younger girl really into prog, nice to meet you khonfusedkhemist (great nickname indeed!)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 16:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Progdaughter at RIO

Is that you out of your cow gear?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12