0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Printed Books or E-books
    Posted: August 02 2019 at 18:25
For long, I generally prefer e-books. Began using e-book readers with a Cybook Opus, and 've been using Kobo eReader still. E-ink is a great technology.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 20:22
Printed unless you are traveling.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 23:18
I have some E-books and a Kindle but prefer my collection of printed space and science coffee table books with big colour pictures, some from NASA, and a few large illustrated wonders of the world, science, geography books from a century or so ago - that period when there used to be excitement, progress and hope for the future.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 07:44
Hi,

For now, I have to read the printed material as I can not see well enough the kindle and electronic stuff since its design is not defined by its ability to be seen, but by a geek that has no idea that some folks can not read all that, and on top of it, these electronic things are excluding older folks whose vision is not as good as the younger generation.

But honestly, if you ask me, my cynical response is that most people here only read the Cliff Notes, and even then, just for college ... I think that a serious minority of folks here actually reads a lot of these things and I applaud and will bow to the ladies, because they are probably the best read of everyone here ... and even I, fairly well read, although vastly different materials ... don't even come close ... but some of the stuff I have read has been "thorough" and not exactly just a Cliff Note kind of thing.

I've actually read half of all Willie's plays, for example, and I am probably one of the best well read of all the playwrights for example, as my major was DIRECTING (theater and film) and I took all 6 courses of literature in theater at UCSB (only 4 were required), because I enjoyed reading a lot of it, and it gave me staging ideas in my head! 

Literature was a bit different ... I started reading more later due to a culture/language change that really hurt ... and it took me the better part of almost 10 years before I could start reading properly and start enjoying things ... and by that time I was already 25 or 26. But theater was already "there" for me. Film and their scripts, were in my hand though, as you could buy the "script" versions of Bunuel, Godard, Truffaut, Fellini and Bergman (for example), which I loved reading and helped me formulate my VISUAL nature.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 08:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

For now, I have to read the printed material as I can not see well enough the kindle and electronic stuff since its design is not defined by its ability to be seen, but by a geek that has no idea that some folks can not read all that, and on top of it, these electronic things are excluding older folks whose vision is not as good as the younger generation.

The kindle is much easier to read than printed material. With kindle and other e-devices you can adjust the font size and screen brightness to suit your taste. Simple. I thought I would hate the kindle, but after having one for several years, I will never go back to print books. Also, I am one of the older folks whose vision is not great. 

Then there is the debate of which is more environmentally friendly. You can have several hundred e-books on one device that can fit in your back pocket, where print books take up space and a lot of volume in the landfill. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 12:07
I am currently in transition. the problem with e-book is that the book you want to read has to be available as such

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 12:19
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I am currently in transition. the problem with e-book is that the book you want to read has to be available as such

I was just thinking about that ... and all the titles that will never be there! At least not in the next 50 years!

But remember that I was born in a house with 40K books of literature, a lot of it Portuguese, Spanish, Brazilian, and also a lot of Italian and French and English ... a a nice dose of Americans. That library is now in Lisbon in my dad's name! AND ... I can tell you that half of it will NEVER EVER MAKE IT to Kindle or any other application out there!

So, you can see how/why a printed book is so valuable for me, but the time will be here when I have to slide into the e-book, and I don't have a choice ... I keep joking that I won't get kindle until they publish The Pearl ... but I better not say that too loud, or I will be on Kindle tomorrow!

The only thing that scares me the most, is how folks relate to literature ... I can remember almost EVERY BOOK I have EVER read, including the stuff read in school and university ... ALL OF IT has been massive in my life, and I still talk about it, and use a lot of comparisons to the music/art/theater/film scenes in many places because of it. But then, our house had 3K LP's of music as well, and we went to the theater and saw films, and I went to study theater, and continued my film studies ... so, in most ways ... I'm all about the arts, not just the music, although it is the one area where I am the best informed, other than film. The theater stuff is tough because it has different areas all over and they differ ... with the exception of NY ... the only thing that changes is another version of Cabaret, or Mame, or ... Cats is the big thing now! Annie is next, I bet!

Edited by moshkito - August 04 2019 at 07:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 05:42

Hi,

You do know you can increase the font size on a Kindle?.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 06:07
Printed books, all day every day. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 09:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Hi,

You do know you can increase the font size on a Kindle?.

It's the monitor brightness and light that is a problem ... my eyes will tire within the hour and after that i can not read the screen anymore. I seem to do OK with graphics and WoW, for example, but reading forces me to direct the eyes, and I can do so in a relaxed manner ... at least haven't figured it out yet. 

In some cases, if I can print out the material, that is how I read it, but in most cases on those electronic things, I can not print them out ... and that means I can not read them that way. I, even had to get a bigger monitor to make it easier for me to see things!
www.pedrosena.com
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 09:38

It's the monitor brightness and light that is a problem ... 

E-ink screen doesn't work like a monitor, and aside from some initial ones, all e-book readers use that technology as far as I know. As healthy as paper for the eyes, I guess. The display doesn't contain a light source, and it doesn't consume energy except for the moments when you turn the pages. (That grants the device TREMENDOUS battery life.) Backlighting is an option, and might be tiring for the eyes. Yet, I generally turn on the room light and read, like I do with printed books.

Edited by Odvin Draoi - August 06 2019 at 10:00
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 10:25
I still prefer printed books, but have a growing E-book library due to the existence of the Internet Archive and the current open access movement that's moving through the academic publishing world.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply