Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fearful Symmetry/Louder Than Words - Symphonic/Neo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fearful Symmetry/Louder Than Words - Symphonic/Neo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fearful Symmetry/Louder Than Words - Symphonic/Neo
    Posted: April 16 2021 at 08:52
Originally posted by SuziJ SuziJ wrote:

Hi lazland

You proposed that I include a short bio, but I'm not clear on how best to do this. Is there a specific place for it, or do I reply to the topic thread?

Many thanks for your help

Suzi

Hi Suzi

It only needs to be a short history of the project, i.e. how it started, personnel, recording process and releases, and any other information you feel would add to knowledge of the project, so maybe something about the William Blake inspiration?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 08:16
Originally posted by SuziJ SuziJ wrote:

We bravely/foolishly launched ourselves straight into a 'concept' album with our first release - essentially the lyrical themes are based on the life and works of William Blake. It seemed a natural step to label ourselves Fearful Symmetry (without first checking who else was using it LOL).

I suppose this includes his paintings too. Two of his most famous ones have been used as a cover for albums by bands that are in the archives: "The Ghost of a Flea" for the album "Another Fine Tune You've Got me into" by Gilgamesh and "Nebukadnezar" for the album "Death Walks Behind You" by Atomic Rooster.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
SuziJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuziJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 08:02
We bravely/foolishly launched ourselves straight into a 'concept' album with our first release - essentially the lyrical themes are based on the life and works of William Blake. It seemed a natural step to label ourselves Fearful Symmetry (without first checking who else was using it LOL).
Prog music - where music comes to play.
SuziJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuziJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 07:57
Hi lazland

You proposed that I include a short bio, but I'm not clear on how best to do this. Is there a specific place for it, or do I reply to the topic thread?

Many thanks for your help

Suzi

Prog music - where music comes to play.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 07:12
I just want to point out that the name Fearful Symmetry is taken from one of the most famous poems in English literature: "The Tyger" by William Blake.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
SuziJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuziJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 07:08
I’ll add a bio shortly. Thank you.
SuziJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuziJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 07:07
Just as a side note for anyone interested, I was recently involved in collaborating on the Checking For Echo Project’s recent release ‘Life and Other Stories Vol 1’, with a number of very talented contributors.
It can be heard at www.checkingforecho.Bandcamp.com

Net proceeds are split between two charities for musicians and stagehands financially impacted by the Covid pandemic.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 05:45
have alerted the crossover team

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 14:39
thanx for the reminder, I'm not sure what happened with the submission Ouch
while listening crossover seems to be an appropriate solution, I'd say
a detailed biography would be fine of course

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 14:12
Why thank you, lazland.  *curtseys*  Yes, those vocals are also wonderful, I was lumping them in with,  "players."  If, for me, an enthusiasm over a band is likely to dim, it's often in regard to vocals, such is absolutely not this case with this collaboration of talents.  

Edited by Snicolette - April 15 2021 at 14:12
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 13:59
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I heartily recommend this addition, for what my say is worth in these parts.  An excellent effort with fine players, and as stated, a new release upcoming soon.  Thumbs Up

Your say is worth a great deal in these parts.

There is some very strong stuff here, and, as you say, fine musicianship. I particularly enjoy the vocalist they have worked with. Orc and Luvah is a quite lovely piece of work.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 13:54
I heartily recommend this addition, for what my say is worth in these parts.  An excellent effort with fine players, and as stated, a new release upcoming soon.  Thumbs Up
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 12:41
Giving this a listen on iTunes now. There is some really nice stuff on here, and in amongst the obvious classic rock references a la Hammond Organ et al, there is also some very nice pastoral stuff. All in all, a rather nice eclectic mix of well produced music which I would be happy to review when they are added.

As for sub-genre on the site, Crossover strikes me as the obvious choice, although it would fit well within Eclectic as well. It is basically an art/classic rock album, with very strong progressive foundations, and both of these sub-genres grew out of what we called art rock back in the day.

Suzi, you need to add a short bio (what is on your website is fine). The Bandcamp link is already here for the team to listen to, so that is good.

Edited by lazland - April 15 2021 at 12:47
SuziJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuziJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 11:58
Hi! There is a second album due this summer (2021), delayed by lockdowns etc. The tracks are having drums added remotely (in a Paris studio), and from 17th May I’ll be able to have the singer in our studio.

Interesting point made about the genre - it certainly crosses over a few boundaries, stylistically, so other views would be welcome.

Regards
Suzi
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 09:18
This suggestion is not far off two years old now, and seems to have fallen through the cracks.

A second album is planned for this summer, and the debut from 2019 received some pretty positive reviews, so I feel the suggestion should at least be given some attention before the thread gets locked through inactivity.

Here is one review which contains a fair bit of additional info about the project: https://houseofprog.com/blog/2020/06/05/fearful-symmetry-louder-than-words/.

The debut album "Louder Than Words" was also featured in Julie Sanchez's Prog Rock Nation/Progkast Top 15 Prog albums of the year podcast back in January 2020.

Fearful Symmetry was added to progfeak by our good old friend Svetonio at the time when the debut album was released, so that is indeed a recommendation all by itself: https://progfreak.com/Fearful-Symmetry-172957.htmlTongue

Edit: I'm not sure about the sub genre suggestion of Symphonic/Neo though. I'd be tempted to pass this over to the Crossover team in the first instance.

Edited by yam yam - April 15 2021 at 09:23
SuziJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuziJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 07:00
Fearful Symmetry released their debut album, 'Louder Than Words', earlier this summer.
'Fearful Symmetry' is actually me and my cousin.
We've been prog fans for a very long time (among other genres) and decided we'd like to make our own album that reflected the broad range of prog music we've enjoyed over the years, as well as what's around now. See if you can pick out the influences!
I composed the music for what became the title track, and asked my cousin Jeremy to come up with some lyrics. He'd written about William Blake for his thesis and decided to raid his own ideas. It seemed to work well and so the idea of a 'concept' album was born (life and works of William Blake) - in keeping with recreating a 'classic prog' album. LOL
We had a checklist of thing to include - animal sounds, bells, gongs, tempo/time signature and mood changes, you know the kind of thing. I think we ticked them all off. It's a bit 'genre-defying', I guess.
I play guitar, bass, and keyboards for nearly all of the album, but musician friends were keen to contribute - including a LSO cellist on one of the more pastoral songs! Jeremy played bass on one track, and came up with some of the song melodies, as well as sang on the opening track. Otherwise we used guest singers. We also saved up and got a friend who is a session drummer to add real drums, and paid for the album to be mixed by a mastering engineer.
We think it's really paid off and some internet radio programmes have played and favourably reviewed the album. To be clear, we're really only hoping for as many people as possible to at least hear the music.

TMB Radio:

“It is an excellent debut album, from a British band that has a tradition in progressive rock, and that made a modern album but based on the classic prog. ! EXCELLENT ALBUM! 😀”

Tracks have featured on progrock.com radio - and being played this evening (7pm UK time) - 23Aug2019.

Listen on https://fearfulsymmetry.bandcamp.com/releases

Facebook: @fearfulsymmetryrocks

Distrokid is submitting our album to all the usual platforms: Spotify, iTunes/Apple Music, Google Play, Deezer etc etc.

Post Reply Post Reply