Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2023 at 13:43
I first heard Dark Side Of The Moon upon its official release on LP in the U.S. I was 16 years of age and remember being overly impressed with Pink Floyd. My sister who was a hippie in the 60s never bought Pink Floyd albums so I was completely unaware until I heard Dark Side.

The immediate reaction from her hippie friends went something like this: "They have back up female vocals and they sold out" or "They sound more like an average Rock band now and they sold out" Friends in my age group had older brothers and sisters that were part of the hippie movement as well. They seemed to feel the same way as my sisters friends.

This inspired me to go out and buy Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Piper..etc. After discovering Syd Barrett I had thought that certain songs from Dark Side were about him..although I could never confirm that to be true.

After hearing albums like Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother I understood that they were a bit more experimental or Avant-garde fused with Space Rock and yet I could hear the difference but I enjoyed "On The Run" defining it as Electronic experimental type of music.

I grew sick and tired of Dark Side due to radio airplay. Also playing in cover bands during the mid 70s..the agency pressured bands to play songs from Dark Side not unlike the public school system pressuring you to sing The Star Spangled Banner everyday.

I believe the older generation were a bit judgemental about Dark Side. They acted like extremists. Fanatics. It's hard to imagine that social environment existing today. Especially after Dark Side became monumental and generally influenced most people to think of it as a masterpiece. ..as opposed to mixed reactions from a 60s audience to a new Pink Floyd album.

Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2023 at 17:06
I remember reading something a long time ago..about Ron Geesin and Roger Waters being friends...hanging out..and listening to American Avant-garde 20th century composers...and American Electronic artists like Mort Garson, Wendy Carlos, Ruth White and others.

In the late 60s and early 70s musicians were interested in meeting Bob Moog to purchase and get pointers on how to use a Moog synthesizer. Geesin and Waters shared a common interest in that area. Ron Geesin seemed to adapt rhythm patterns for synthesizer which were pulsating and to some degree tied in with the sound ideas of the American Electronic artists. ..although..Ron Geesin had his own distinctive style and characteristic of sound to ever be like anyone else.

Roger Waters was interested in using Electronic sounds for "On The Run". It has similarities to Mort Garson's "Leave The Driving To Us" recorded in 1969. Roger Waters obviously interested in adding another dimension of Electronic sound to Pink Floyd. This was evident on Meddle with the usage of sound effects and earlier the attempt of obtaining a white noise vibe throughout Saucerful Of Secrets.

Sections of Rick Wright pieces from Ummagumma are stylistically based off early Berlin School such as Tangerine Dream Zeit and later Atem...Both have similarities to the soundscapes of Rick Wright on Ummagumma. Roger Waters "Several Small Species Of Furry Animals " is almost like a Ron Geesin parody.

This whole time period is fascinating to me. Strangely Syd Barrett's character begin to surface in their lyricism. He seemed like a ghost appearing ..disappearing in sections of their songs where it seemed like they were singing about him.

For a few years Waters, Wright, and Gilmour wrote songs ....which again..had similarities to Syd Barrett's songwriting. ...just as Barrett's songshad similarities to Pink Floyd in the early 70s. "IF" from Atom Heart Mother contains a Syd Barrett writing formula. "Free Four" from Obscured By Clouds truly sounds like Barrett. Syd Barrett songs "Dominoes ", "Baby Lemonade", "Wolfpack", "Golden Hair" sound to me as if they could have been on Pink Floyd albums in the early 70s.

Dark Side Of The Moon took a different direction although the chord progression during the verse "The lunatic is on the grass" was commonly used by Syd Barrett.

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - March 17 2023 at 17:13
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2023 at 10:53
Celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Dark Side of the Moon, a brief documentary on the making of Pink Floyd's landmark album which has really stood the test of Time, recorded back in relatively innocent times when Roger Waters didn't appear to have all the troubles of the world on his shoulders. Tongue

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2023 at 11:38
A wonderful bit of knowledge from the masterful Alan Parsons regarding the engineering behind Darkside of the Moon.

https://youtu.be/6PJOgD-btOU?si=JRGxbQG28mmnUskR

Edited by progbethyname - November 06 2023 at 11:50
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2023 at 11:42
Your link doesn't work.

edit

Oh, I just saw what you did wrong.  Here...

Edited by JD - November 06 2023 at 11:43
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2023 at 11:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Your link doesn't work.

edit

Oh, I just saw what you did wrong.  Here...

JD. Thank you, brother. I fixed it.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 05:41
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

I first heard Dark Side Of The Moon upon its official release on LP in the U.S. I was 16 years of age and remember being overly impressed with Pink Floyd. My sister who was a hippie in the 60s never bought Pink Floyd albums so I was completely unaware until I heard Dark Side.

The immediate reaction from her hippie friends went something like this: "They have back up female vocals and they sold out" or "They sound more like an average Rock band now and they sold out" Friends in my age group had older brothers and sisters that were part of the hippie movement as well. They seemed to feel the same way as my sisters friends.

This inspired me to go out and buy Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Piper..etc. After discovering Syd Barrett I had thought that certain songs from Dark Side were about him..although I could never confirm that to be true.

After hearing albums like Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother I understood that they were a bit more experimental or Avant-garde fused with Space Rock and yet I could hear the difference but I enjoyed "On The Run" defining it as Electronic experimental type of music.

I grew sick and tired of Dark Side due to radio airplay. Also playing in cover bands during the mid 70s..the agency pressured bands to play songs from Dark Side not unlike the public school system pressuring you to sing The Star Spangled Banner everyday.

I believe the older generation were a bit judgemental about Dark Side. They acted like extremists. Fanatics. It's hard to imagine that social environment existing today. Especially after Dark Side became monumental and generally influenced most people to think of it as a masterpiece. ..as opposed to mixed reactions from a 60s audience to a new Pink Floyd album.

I was about forty years behind you in discovering and hearing Dark Side of the Moon for the first time. I may as well have been on the Dark Side of the Moon for all I knew about prog before going online in 2010, back when I thought prog had ended in 1979 and didn't realise there were any other prog bands outside of the UK. Embarrassed

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 04 2023 at 05:42
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2023 at 09:47
I only first heard the album a year and a half ago, I'm a near Prog Noob. I've got a long way to go. My first true exposure to prog. I remember looking at the track listing and being amazed about a 7-Minute song called 'Time' (7 minutes was a long song for me back then) and I couldn't wait to listen to it. Lo and Behold I near transcended when that guitar solo hit. I had found the music I loved. Every song on there is amazing, even Any Colour You Like. 10/10 record, it deserves it's place in history. 

'Cause it's only knock and know all, but I like it...

Working on a New Album, might be one huge track |Bandcamp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314