Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signed album: fake or legit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irohen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signed album: fake or legit?
    Posted: November 22 2019 at 11:59
Hi guys, I was shopping records on the Internet, and I just found a post of someone selling a Genesis album that he claims looks to be signed by Steve Hackett. I asked for some photos and he sent me, but I'm not sure if there's a way to verify if it's fake or not. I looked up pictures of Hackett's signature on Google but it's different from the one on the photos I was sent. But I wonder if it could be because it has changed throughout the years, since the print is fairly recent.

What do you guys think? I would really like to buy it as a gift for my father, since he's the one that introduced me to Genesis and it's his favorite album of theirs. But if the autograph is fake, it's worthless.

Edited by Irohen - November 22 2019 at 12:02
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2019 at 12:10
If it seems too good to be true... well - you know the answer - it generally isn't ...

EDIT: This isn't helpful at all - please ignore me !

(and good luck)

Edited by Quinino - November 22 2019 at 15:58
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2019 at 12:20
Usually something like that will have a 'certificate of authenticity', assuming the certificate itself is legit.   I would say if the signature doesn't match Hackett's, it's probably not worth the risk.   Usually peoples' signatures don't change much after about the age of thirty.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2019 at 15:49
This won't help you and nobody here can guarantee it's not fake... but Hackett seems to be pretty approachable and I expect it isn't too difficult to get a signature out of him.
Actually on his website there's a signed copy of Wind and Wuthering for sale for £21.
https://store.hackettsongs.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply