Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do I like King Crimson much less?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 08:20
As far as KC being cold and clinical, I always found that to be a part of their charm.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 14:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

As far as KC being cold and clinical, I always found that to be a part of their charm.

Thumbs Up
True enough....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 20:31

Indeed it's part of their charm... in the songs that are cold and clinical... and the emotional factor is part of their charm in their warmest and more emotional songs.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 20:46
Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

I Don't like ELP much, You don't like KC - we are fine, is music, we are different - no two ears hear the same. 

I am not a big fan of ELP all that much myself but even they have Trilogy which is a 5 star album in my opinion
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 21:33
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Absolutely loved ITCOTCK.  Same can be said for Red.  Didn't like Beat and really didn't listen to them until Thrak was released, which I liked a lot.  Hated ThrakAttak so again I put them away for over a decade.  I have Frame by Frame so I know the stronger songs.  But this year I heard Radical Action to Release the Hold of Monkey Mind  and then got the CD/BluRay combo and I can't put it down.  Listening to it now actually .  Its been months.  I have been listening to the various other live albums (Chicago, Meltdown) and its really some of the best music I have ever heard.  I have to go back to the originals to see why I didn't care anywhere as much for say Lizard, In the Wake of the Poseidon as I do these live albums.   New arrangements, Jakko singing instead of Belew, more drums from the 3 headed monster, more Mel Collins? I don't know but it will be fun going back to some albums I haven't listened to in decades.     

Been thru a couple of albums and I still don't universally love them. Some I don't even like.  Some are just too harsh for my liking.  Sometimes its the guitar and other times its the singer but when the seven and eight man groups gets a hold of them, these songs have a new life.  Absolutely love them. The playing is stellar and I'm now a fan of Jakko.  
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 14:41
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

There is a fundamental lack of feeling, a mathematical sterility, that encompassed their music, and became more pronounced after their first few albums. It is a music of numbers and calculation, with very little warmth. 

Once again the lack of feeling on King Crimson... I just don't buy it. Well, perhaps they do have a fair amount of mathematical sterility, but they also have some of the most emotional songs I can think of, prog or not. Of course, the best example of this is Epitaph, with those vocals from Lake that, well, I would find it hard to think of a more emotional vocal delivery anywhere. But besides, I can easily think of Prince Rupert Awakes / Bolero, Exiles, and Starless having some really beautiful emotional moments.

but you are naming the most accessible and perhaps warmest songs from those post ITCOCK albums.  They stuck one or two of them on Lizard and Islands and then at best one each on LTIA,SABB and Red.  so you are corroborating what the Dark Elf is saying by naming the exceptions which prove the rule

ps I'd throw "The Night Watch" into that list as well, but that's about it

OK then, perhaps not as emotional as the once I already mentioned, but also warm and melodic, we also have Court of the Crimson King, I talk to the wind, the vocal part of Moonchild, In the Wake of Poseidon, I talk to the Wind, Cadence and Cascade, Lady of the Dancing Water, and perhaps even Islands, plus one or two from after the 70's... It may not be a very big amount among their other songs, but you could easily fit a wonderful compilation album of such songs.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 04:04

There is a fundamental lack of feeling, a mathematical sterility, that encompassed their music, and became more pronounced after their first few albums. It is a music of numbers and calculation, with very little warmth. 

Once again the lack of feeling on King Crimson... I just don't buy it. Well, perhaps they do have a fair amount of mathematical sterility, but they also have some of the most emotional songs I can think of, prog or not. Of course, the best example of this is Epitaph, with those vocals from Lake that, well, I would find it hard to think of a more emotional vocal delivery anywhere. But besides, I can easily think of Prince Rupert Awakes / Bolero, Exiles, and Starless having some really beautiful emotional moments.

but you are naming the most accessible and perhaps warmest songs from those post ITCOCK albums.  They stuck one or two of them on Lizard and Islands and then at best one each on LTIA,SABB and Red.  so you are corroborating what the Dark Elf is saying by naming the exceptions which prove the rule

OK then, perhaps not as emotional as the once I already mentioned, but also warm and melodic, we also have Court of the Crimson King, I talk to the wind, the vocal part of Moonchild, In the Wake of Poseidon, I talk to the Wind, Cadence and Cascade, Lady of the Dancing Water, and perhaps even Islands, plus one or two from after the 70's... It may not be a very big amount among their other songs, but you could easily fit a wonderful compilation album of such songs.
The thing about KC's more emotional and somewhat warmer songs, particularly the epics like Epitaph and In The Wake Of Poseidon, is that the icy mellotron adds a wonderful freeze factor to the songs that keeps them from turning into sentimental mush. This is what I love most about the early KC material. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 11:20
Man I am so much a fan of the Mellotron sound.  I have tried my best to replicate it with the two synths I have had and have made my best creations with a Korg Poly 64.  Going back to the original questioner.  Are you a bigger fan of Gentle Giant or do you like them even less? LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 14:13

The thing about KC's more emotional and somewhat warmer songs, particularly the epics like Epitaph and In The Wake Of Poseidon, is that the icy mellotron adds a wonderful freeze factor to the songs that keeps them from turning into sentimental mush. This is what I love most about the early KC material. 

I don't really understand considering the Mellotron giving a cold aspect to the songs... on the contrary, I would think it's warm and emotional too (though it might give them a bit of an eerie atmosphere). But indeed they do not end up feeling line a sentimental mush. Now, that cold thing you say about the mellotron, the one band that comes to my mind is Anekdoten (with the album I know from them, "Until all the Ghosts are gone").
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 08:47

I don't really understand considering the Mellotron giving a cold aspect to the songs... on the contrary, I would think it's warm and emotional too (though it might give them a bit of an eerie atmosphere). But indeed they do not end up feeling line a sentimental mush. Now, that cold thing you say about the mellotron, the one band that comes to my mind is Anekdoten (with the album I know from them, "Until all the Ghosts are gone").
The hardest thing to replicate for most musicians, at least in my experience, is the cold clinical sound of the mellotron with synths. The best guess for this is the fact that the sampling tapes stretch over time, the actual electronics of the tape player and speakers sound clinical, and as Robert Fripp has so eloquently said: "A mellotron is never in tune." 

Edited by SteveG - January 04 2020 at 08:48
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 18:50
^ Agreed, and isn't it ironic that the audio artifacts and mechanical artificiality of the sound is what VST plug in manufacturers are striving to replicate via incredibly complex software algorithms? (Can't be dissimilar to coding a speech impediment into an otherwise 'perfect' talking robot) I think Fripp said 'tuning a Mellotron doesent' LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 13:16
^ Quite right. This company produced a fully digital mellotron sound and lookalike!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 22:05
I find it amazing how thoroughly one can enjoy some of KC's music and be left very cold by some of the rest. Even on their most well liked albums there seems to be a Moonchild or a Providence stuck in-between the stuff most everyone loves (not saying I don't like those tracks). I think what draws in their biggest fans after a while isn't so much the music they can expect to hear on a KC album, but rather the music they don't expect to hear. Some factor of being a huge KC fan to me seems to be a thirst for the unusual and perhaps initially unwanted changes from song to song and album to album. To me they seem a far harder nut to crack than some no less great, classic prog groups such as Genesis, Yes, or Rush. Somehow the variety and extremity of KC's music is always an essential ingredient, whereas even fundamental things like strong melodies and clear structures can get tossed to the side from time to time. For me KC is often more fascinating than they are moving, whereas with most other groups I know the moving part is more important. 
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 15:37
To answer your question, I am thinking because you are doo doo head Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 08:51
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

To answer your question, I am thinking because you are doo doo head Tongue
LOL In my part of the country we say poopie head!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 12:37

The hardest thing to replicate for most musicians, at least in my experience, is the cold clinical sound of the mellotron with synths. The best guess for this is the fact that the sampling tapes stretch over time, the actual electronics of the tape player and speakers sound clinical, and as Robert Fripp has so eloquently said: "A mellotron is never in tune." 

OK, perhaps I need some explanation to understand what you mean by clinical. To me that sounds like something very perfect, very well studied and performed with great precision. Yet the Mellotron seems to be the exact opposite, since you yourself said it's never in tune, and as far as I understand, it's unpredictable and so on.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 04:23

OK, perhaps I need some explanation to understand what you mean by clinical. To me that sounds like something very perfect, very well studied and performed with great precision. Yet the Mellotron seems to be the exact opposite, since you yourself said it's never in tune, and as far as I understand, it's unpredictable and so on.
I suppose it comes down one's acuity for hearing this type of sound. The consensus is that the mellotron has a cold icy sound that lacks the warmth of the instruments that have been sampled, particularly strings. Of this I heartily agree. As I recording engineer, with a more developed ear, this is readily apparent to me.
That doesn't mean that the music played on it is cold and clinical, quite the opposite. Perhaps you're confusing these two aspects, the aural characteristics of the reproduced mellotron sound and the actual music that has been played on it.

Edited by SteveG - January 08 2020 at 04:26
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 13:47

I suppose it comes down one's acuity for hearing this type of sound. The consensus is that the mellotron has a cold icy sound that lacks the warmth of the instruments that have been sampled, particularly strings. Of this I heartily agree. As I recording engineer, with a more developed ear, this is readily apparent to me.
That doesn't mean that the music played on it is cold and clinical, quite the opposite. Perhaps you're confusing these two aspects, the aural characteristics of the reproduced mellotron sound and the actual music that has been played on it.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense and now I do agree with the cold part of the statement. And yet, even though the Mellotron is supposed to be able to emulate many other instruments, I think it's obvious that if you want to use it instead of a violin the result will be poorer... but if you want to use some particular sound recorded on the Mellotron as it actually sounds, you can do some wonderful music (not in vain, I guess, Wakeman decided to do albums with an orchestra, even if his main instruments were already keyboards that were supposed to emulate an orchestra). But still, why clinical?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 14:12
Ok, lets scrap the word clinical and just say cold and lacking warmth to describe the mellotron. As far as KC's music sounding clinical, a lot of that has to do with how it was recorded and mastered. There's not a lot of warmth in early KC recordings, particularly on ItCotKC. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 16:32
Yeah, I guess I can agree with Clinical for the overall King Crimson sound... yet not for the particular sound a mellotron can make. Yet, it's still strange to call Crimson's sound clinical since it's based so much on improvs... yet it does seem fitting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234