Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soft/Mellow albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 12:12
Pulsar...Strands of the Future....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 12:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I almost never see Carol Of Harvest mentioned on here - even in threads about obscure gems - and that is truly a pity! This album should please just about any prog connoisseur that digs a little grass with their prague. This album sounds like it was recorded inside a studio that somehow managed to be an open field as well..ie music from tall grasses:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8hQsai6_Q

agree...though there are parts of "Trial a Little Bit" that are hardly mellow...even if incredibly awesome!

Heh..well you got me there Ken, but as you rightly state those parts are indeed awesome
I thought you would’ve recommended some Vollenweider though perhaps not exactly what he’s looking for. (I thoroughly enjoyed reading your recent review stint btw. Quite awesome as well )

As for other mellow/soft albums I find the prog folk section to offer up quite a few humdingers. I’ve recently dug back into my old German albums and especially Witthüser & Westrupp’s Trips & Träume as well as the perplexing tale of Jesus on shrooms via Der Jesuspilz hit the spot for me. I think they fit this thread perfectly.
Italy has it’s soft and gentle gems as well now that I think of it. One of my faves is Il Paese dei Balocchi. Has this elegant floating feeling - like looking at a plastic bag caught in dancing upwinds.

Would absolutely agree with much of the prog/folk artists....

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 12:22

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I almost never see Carol Of Harvest mentioned on here - even in threads about obscure gems - and that is truly a pity! This album should please just about any prog connoisseur that digs a little grass with their prague. This album sounds like it was recorded inside a studio that somehow managed to be an open field as well..ie music from tall grasses:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8hQsai6_Q

agree...though there are parts of "Trial a Little Bit" that are hardly mellow...even if incredibly awesome!

Heh..well you got me there Ken, but as you rightly state those parts are indeed awesome
I thought you would’ve recommended some Vollenweider though perhaps not exactly what he’s looking for. (I thoroughly enjoyed reading your recent review stint btw. Quite awesome as well )

As for other mellow/soft albums I find the prog folk section to offer up quite a few humdingers. I’ve recently dug back into my old German albums and especially Witthüser & Westrupp’s Trips & Träume as well as the perplexing tale of Jesus on shrooms via Der Jesuspilz hit the spot for me. I think they fit this thread perfectly.
Italy has it’s soft and gentle gems as well now that I think of it. One of my faves is Il Paese dei Balocchi. Has this elegant floating feeling - like looking at a plastic bag caught in dancing upwinds.

well thank you much!
Andreas Vollenweider is certainly highly recommended if one likes it mellow, with the two best IMO being "Down to the Moon" and "Kryptos" IMO, also sampling 2 distinct eras, his commercial wiondfall and his more studious symphonic world music extravaganzas.

But the truth is that so much of what I listen to is mellow and often dreamy that I don't know where to begin, other than to second the insights like yours.   I do believe I also enjoyed Witthüser & Westrupp’s Trips & Träume

yes, and Nicky, as you state, prog folk is a great place to explore this, perhaps looking at clem of nazareth, sean trane and my reviews (prog folk team).  We don't have exactly the same taste (sean is waaaaay more eclectic and bob more erudite) but where we agree, your odds are pretty good.

Edited by kenethlevine - January 17 2020 at 12:28
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 13:53
Over the last few years I’ve spent a lot of time listening to mellow music. Best way of relaxing a tensionridden broken body I find...but then again that’s also including Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze and AIR. The latter made an album called 10000 Hz Legend which should tickle the modern-day progger with an affinity for dreamy mellow soundscapes.

As for prog folk I forgot to mention Perry Leopold’s Christian Lucifer. That thing is just gorgeous.
Oh my..almost forgot!
Here you go folks, thank me later.
Lucio Battisti’s Anima Latina
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p9waqCjunvQ
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 14:14

Over the last few years I’ve spent a lot of time listening to mellow music. Best way of relaxing a tensionridden broken body I find...but then again that’s also including Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze and AIR. The latter made an album called 10000 Hz Legend which should tickle the modern-day progger with an affinity for dreamy mellow soundscapes.

As for prog folk I forgot to mention Perry Leopold’s Christian Lucifer. That thing is just gorgeous.
Oh my..almost forgot!
Here you go folks, thank me later.
Lucio Battisti’s Anima Latina
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p9waqCjunvQ

God yes...I mean...well damn yes Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 04:18

I popped it on late last night and was yet again reminded of the delicate and mellow nature..you really have to listen to the vocals alongside those beautiful but rather menacing touches to the reeds to notice the darker side of things. The oboe in particular just takes my breath away.
I was about to mention another gem of an album but it flew out my nose whilst typing this..err what was it again?
Sure, Popol Vuh! Talking about mellow albums and you’re bound to end up in Florian’s lap. Hosianna Mantra is a good starting point imo.
I would also strongly recommend Setna’s Guérison from a few years back. Yes I know it’s categorised as Zeuhl here on PA...but Zeuhl is more than the obvious soundtrack music for Hannibal’s elephant hordes storming down the mountainside Guérison is about as velvety and soothing as it gets, mellow floating somewhat psych inspired wafting fusion.

Hah! I remember the actual album I thought of to begin with Just so happens to be located in prog folk.
Troisième Rive’s Banlieues: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tYtAX38V3DQ
Sprinkling, sparkly guitars together with a gooey gelatinous backdraft and you get this beautiful ‘daybreak kind of feel’ to the music. It’s been a while but I’m glad I thought of it. Banlieues is hereby today’s next spin!

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 18 2020 at 04:20
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 06:25
Another little obscure gem I thought of is Trefle’s Reflet:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sGMIO4h7XMY
Reminds me of a gentler more soothing take on Ange.

- Douglas Adams
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 07:19
How about "The Geese and the Ghost" (1977) by Anthony Phillips.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 17:15
the snow goose camel
discreet music brian eno
oalis of sunhillow jon anderson
pingkrimfloyd58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingkrimfloyd58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 15:17
Check out Katatonia’s “Dethroned & Uncrowned”. You won’t be sorry!
fracturematt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fracturematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 15:32
This is totally out there and probably not anyone's idea of prog, but check out The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble.  I always like having that on in the backgroud at work.  Just good atmosphere.  Mellow.  Dark.  I dig it.
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 16:34
Did you say... Soft?

interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 18:29
50 Words for Snow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123